United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

Yes, really.

Cuz it looked like you and @KCfromNC were engaging in and arguing against the exact kind of arguments the left has spent years fighting about with conservatives ever since BLM got big.

If conservatives ever correctly argue "that's not how statistics work", then they deserve to win the argument.

Anecdotal evidence? How many times has a single or handful of cop shootings been used by the left as an argument against police? A single incident of something racist used to condemn an entire profession or just whites in general? If I argued that we don't have a problem of police being called on black people for no reason...how many liberals on this site would use "anecdotal evidence" to argue against me?

The left practically builds their narrative on anecdotal evidence...so it's pretty hypocritical to complain about it now. You don't seem to have any problem with it as long as it's used against those you feel deserve it.

Actually, I hate that so much of the police reform stuff has to rely on anecdotal evidence, but at this point, that's about all people in most jurisdictions have. I get the sense that, in many jurisdictions, we're still at the point where the aggrieved parties are pointing to these anecdotal things and going "see, we're not crazy".

You may say that you weren't about to do the whole "this problem is worse so you should worry about it instead" argument that @KCfromNC was making...but I suspect it's only because you realized that I would be pointing out the hypocrisy of that based on the question I asked you.

Then you would suspect wrongly. I didn't have any intention or interest in commenting on this thread at all until I saw the comment from @rjs330 to which I responded.

To be honest, I've thought about that type of argument for some time now...and I think it can have merit. If two problems facing the same community are very disproportionate....it can make someone complaining about the lesser problem sound ridiculous. If for example, an industrial complex is belching toxic waste, destroying the air, and killing people from cancer....complaining about the litter problem seems legitimately dumb.

In that scenario, I don't think complaining about litter is dumb. But I also don't see how that analogy is relevant to the point I was making.

This isn't that situation though...I don't think illegals commit a disproportionate amount of violence (except for maybe hit and run accidents)...I'm simply pointing out that situations like the OP only happen because the left promotes the idea that these people shouldn't be deported and laws should be ignored and border security disregarded.

That has real consequences though...and in this case, and many others, that means people dying. Deaths that are entirely preventable.

This starts to flirt with the wonky math. If illegals don't commit a disproportionate amount of crime (let's assume for the sake of argument that they commit crime at the same rate as everybody else), then deporting 1,000 illegals would have the same impact on crime as rounding up and arresting 1,000 random people from any any other demographic. In that case, if crime is truly the problem you want to solve, then there may better ways to go about it.

Believe it or not, I don't have much of a problem with deporting every illegal - or at least when you only consider that issue in isolation. My concerns surrounding that mostly have to deal with the side effects of such a policy and whether doing so would cause more harm than good. For example: given limited resources, is it better to try to deport every illegal we can find or should we focus on the violent ones? Does having a strict deportation policy cause folks in that community to under-report other, worse crimes? What are the financial/economic costs and benefits to a strict deportation policy? etc...

Personally, I'd rather "fix" this not with a harsher deportation policy but with a more permissive entry policy - after all, you don't deport someone who's allowed to be here in the first place.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm not saying all illegals are murderers...but they are all breaking the law and have no right to be here.

Finally a (Sane post) regarding these ILLEGAL ONES.

They will be blinded and just give their County away.

M-Bob

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Letting someone to go who has been arrested is a foolish exercise.

The whole point of having GITMO is because we can't detain people indefinitely on US soil... that pesky Constitution, dontcha know.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,395.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Do you understand how percentages work? The illegals who don't commit crimes also contribute towards the crime rate (by pushing the rate down). If the crime rate among illegals is lower than it is among the rest of the population, then removing all illegals would cause the crime rate to go up, even though the total number of crimes would go down.

Anecdotal evidence is a terrible way to measure trends like this.

If you have 100 people convicted of 100 crimes and 50 of them were illegals and they werent here to begin with then 50 less crimes would have been committed. That's a lower crime rate. I'm not talking percentages but the amount of crime.

There would be less crime in the US if the illegals were not here.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If you have 100 people convicted of 100 crimes and 50 of them were illegals and they werent here to begin with then 50 less crimes would have been committed. That's a lower crime rate. I'm not talking percentages but the amount of crime.

Simple math that some just don't understand.

M-Bob

• Winner
Reactions: Gigimo
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Simple math that some just don't understand.

M-Bob

Indeed.

Crime rate is a percentage. With 100 people and 100 crimes, you have a 100% crime rate. With 50 people and 50 crimes, you still have a 100% crime rate. Yes, with only 50 people, you'd have a lower overall amount of crime, but no, you would not have a lower crime rate.

Talking about overall crime numbers instead of crime rates is kind of silly, IMO.

There would be even less crime if nobody was here. We could reduce overall crime by kicking out everybody from, say, Ohio or Kentucky.

• Optimistic
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,395.00
Faith
Pentecostal
How about something similar - if white Christian males commit crimes like this, would I be justified in keeping all white Christian males out of my place of business?

There seems to be a lot of focus on being here illegally when the argument started out as "but one of them committed a crime". Seems like the story is shifting around quite a bit - that makes it feel like a rationalization rather than a reason.

It appears you are an open borders person. No such thing as an illegal. Your argument seems to fall flat. I already mentioned somewhere that it doesn't matter who they are or what group they belong to. If you are an illegal stay out. You are welcome here only under legal means.

An illegal committed a crime. Not only was he illegal, but we knew he was here and STILL let him go. You still haven't answered the real question. Which is why was he allowed to remain? If he wasn't allowed to remain the others would still be alive.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,395.00
Faith
Pentecostal
So then why start a thread based on violent crime stats when you're saying the thing that matters is immigration status?
I didn't. I didn't start the thread on violent crime stats. Part of the discussion ended up traveling that way. Often threads develope sub threads in them as discussions are wont to do. But then I think you know that. Don't you?

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,395.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Indeed.

Crime rate is a percentage. With 100 people and 100 crimes, you have a 100% crime rate. With 50 people and 50 crimes, you still have a 100% crime rate. Yes, with only 50 people, you'd have a lower overall amount of crime, but no, you would not have a lower crime rate.

Talking about overall crime numbers instead of crime rates is kind of silly, IMO.

There would be even less crime if nobody was here. We could reduce overall crime by kicking out everybody from, say, Ohio or Kentucky.

Oh brother! I think you just don't want to see the point. Let's try it again. You have 100 people and 50 crimes. 25 of those people committed 25 crimes. If you removed 25 people you would have lower crime because they weren't here. Instead of 50 you would have 25. I don't think Im going to discuss this with you any more. Your just trying too hard not to understand.

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,395.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Yes, really.

If conservatives ever correctly argue "that's not how statistics work", then they deserve to win the argument.

Actually, I hate that so much of the police reform stuff has to rely on anecdotal evidence, but at this point, that's about all people in most jurisdictions have. I get the sense that, in many jurisdictions, we're still at the point where the aggrieved parties are pointing to these anecdotal things and going "see, we're not crazy".

Then you would suspect wrongly. I didn't have any intention or interest in commenting on this thread at all until I saw the comment from @rjs330 to which I responded.

In that scenario, I don't think complaining about litter is dumb. But I also don't see how that analogy is relevant to the point I was making.

This starts to flirt with the wonky math. If illegals don't commit a disproportionate amount of crime (let's assume for the sake of argument that they commit crime at the same rate as everybody else), then deporting 1,000 illegals would have the same impact on crime as rounding up and arresting 1,000 random people from any any other demographic. In that case, if crime is truly the problem you want to solve, then there may better ways to go about it.

Believe it or not, I don't have much of a problem with deporting every illegal - or at least when you only consider that issue in isolation. My concerns surrounding that mostly have to deal with the side effects of such a policy and whether doing so would cause more harm than good. For example: given limited resources, is it better to try to deport every illegal we can find or should we focus on the violent ones? Does having a strict deportation policy cause folks in that community to under-report other, worse crimes? What are the financial/economic costs and benefits to a strict deportation policy? etc...

Personally, I'd rather "fix" this not with a harsher deportation policy but with a more permissive entry policy - after all, you don't deport someone who's allowed to be here in the first place.
Yet you STILL cannot argue that the crimes wouldn't be committed if they werent here in the first place. Apparently it seems to escape the left that they shouldn't be here. And if they weren't the people would still be alive.

Are you an open borders person or one that believes there is no such thing as illegals? Are you arguing for allowing people in who want to come here?

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I knew it wouldn't take long for certain posters to make this about black people.

Wow...this from the guy who spent the every post complaining about white Christian men. I'd actually defend myself but you're such a blatant hypocrite here I don't think it's needed.

Either it happens a lot of times, as your rhetorical question is implying, or it is a single isolated incident. Pick one or the other.

Oh wow...you don't know what anecdotes are. Here, I'll educate you...

Definition of ANECDOTE

Now, everyone here claiming "anecdotal evidence isn't good evidence" isn't quite using the term right...they should be saying "incidental evidence" instead, but I figured everyone understood what they meant anyway.

Everyone except you apparently.

You see, one anecdote is poor evidence for the same reason that a dozen anecdotes or a hundred anecdotes are poor evidence. They don't necessarily have any statistical significance. They don't necessarily make something a trend.

Hopefully, this isn't all just flying over your head.

Citation needed.

"If for every example posted, someone else posts an example of a white Christian male committing a similar crime, would you be convinced that we need to keep that group "out and deport the ones that are here" as well?"

And the evidence to support this assertion?

Read the article in the OP. That's generally a good thing to do before you post on a thread.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Oh brother! I think you just don't want to see the point. Let's try it again. You have 100 people and 50 crimes. 25 of those people committed 25 crimes. If you removed 25 people you would have lower crime because they weren't here. Instead of 50 you would have 25. I don't think Im going to discuss this with you any more. Your just trying too hard not to understand.

I understand perfectly well. The problem is that you really don't understand how the math works, and you haven't established that illegals are any more likely than legals to commit non-immigration crimes, so your examples wind up either being built on faulty assumptions or just not making your case at all.

To make this a little clearer, let's take 3 different scenarios: A, B, and C.

In each scenario, we have 500 Legals (legal immigrants or natural born, I don't care) and 500 Illegals for a total of 1000 people. And in each scenario, we have 150 crimes, for a 15% crime rate.

In Scenario A, Legals and Illegals are equally as likely to commit crimes.
In Scenario B, Legals are 1/2 as likely as Illegals to commit crimes.
In Scenario C, Legals are 2x as likely as Illegals to commit crimes.

(Numbers all chosen to make the math easy)

In Scenario A, each group commits 75 crimes and has a 15% crime rate within their respective communities.
In Scenario B, Legals commit 50 crimes (10% crime rate among Legals) and Illegals commit 100 crimes (20% rate among Illegals).
In Scenario C, the numbers are reversed from B: Legals commit 100 crimes (20% rate) while Illegals commit 50 crimes (10% crime rate).

Now ICE rolls in and starts deporting Illegals. Let's say that, in each case, they deport half (i.e. 250) of the Illegals, and that the half they deport is representative of the whole (i.e. the crime rate among the deported half is the same as it is among the half that is not deported).

In Scenario A, those 250 Illegals have a 15% crime rate, thus, they account for 37.5 of the 150 crimes. Removing those 250 Illegals would drop the total population to 750 and the total number of crimes to 112.5. However, the crime rate stays at 15% (112.5 / 750 == 15%). IOW, the total number of crimes drops, but your likelihood of being victimized by any random person on the street has gone unchanged.

In Scenario B, those 250 Illegals have a 20% crime rate, thus, they account for 50 of the 150 crimes. Removing those 250 Illegals would drop the total population to 750 and the total number of crimes to 100. In this case, the crime rate drops to 13.3% (100 / 750 == 13.3%). IOW, the total number of crimes drops, AND your likelihood of being victimized by any random person on the street has dropped as well. This is because you deported folks from a group statistically more likely to commit crime than the average person.

In Scenario C, those 250 Illegals have a 10% crime rate, thus, they account for 25 of the 150 crimes. Removing those 250 Illegals would drop the total population to 750 and the total number of crimes to 125. However, in this case, the crime rate GOES UP to 16.67% (125 / 750 == 16.67%). IOW, while the total number of crimes drops, your likelihood of being victimized by any random person on the street has increased because you deported people from a group statistically less likely to commit crime than the average person.

If you're truly worried about crime and you're interested in using deportations as a means to achieve that end, then you ought to first figure out which of these above scenarios most closely matches reality. Otherwise, you're liable to spend a lot of effort not being effective. I've not seen anything to suggest that illegals are any more dangerous than the average legal resident, and I've seen some (albeit not definitive) suggestions that they are somewhat less dangerous.

• Agree
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Really? You don't think conservatives have ever used statistics correctly?

That's just it though...either it's good evidence or it isn't.

If you're relying on an example of a cop shooting a black kid with a toy gun as part of the argument that cops are killing black kids out of racism....then you have to accept anecdotal evidence of them shooting a white kid with a Wii remote as evidence they aren't.

If you're going to use evidence of a white cop shooting an unarmed black man as evidence of racism...then you have to accept a black cop or an unarmed white man as evidence that it isn't racism.

I understand that statistics aren't really good at showing racism....and that's why you rely on anecdotes....but at some point perhaps it's worth considering that your narrative is just wrong. It's worth considering that you're using bad evidence and spurious statistics to support a narrative that isn't true. Instead of looking at the evidence and then drawing conclusions....you started with a conclusion and have been trying to prop it up with bad evidence.

All the while ignoring any evidence that ran contrary to your conclusions.

My mistake then.

I was simply using it as an example. As for the litter...it's a matter of perspective. Some people focus on tiny details and refuse to see the larger picture. There's nothing inherently wrong with that...it can even be useful in situations. To a person who sees the larger picture and cares little about the tiny details though...the litter problem seems like an incredibly stupid complaint.

Ok...you don't understand the problem then.

In the case of the OP....2 injustices occurred. The first, and obvious injustice, is that this illegal alien killed 3 people...pretty simple. The second injustice, and the less obvious one, is that these murders only happened because the people of the county where he was arrested decided they didn't have to follow the law and refused to turn him over to ICE. Does that make sense? Had those people not been so stupid and self-righteous...those 3 murder victims would be alive today. That's the second injustice.

I'm simply trying to fight injustice. I'm just pointing out that the collective stupidity of those who promote "sanctuary cities" and counties are committing an injustice that dramatically affects the lives of their fellow Americans. It may be a murder, it may be a drunk driving accident, it may be an armed robbery....it doesn't really matter. The point is that the victims of those crimes are only victims because the liberal left allows it.

Believe it or not, I don't have much of a problem with deporting every illegal - or at least when you only consider that issue in isolation. My concerns surrounding that mostly have to deal with the side effects of such a policy and whether doing so would cause more harm than good.

More harm than good in what way? Economically? Last I checked....the cost of illegal immigrants to the United States economy was negative to the tune of hundreds of billions of dollars.

So theoretically, even the most ineffective means of deporting these people from the US would be a net positive as long as it cost less than say 50 billion dollars a year. That of course, doesn't include the hundreds of billions of dollars in remittances that go to central American nations every year from these people.

It's hard to imagine a way that it wouldn't be a positive thing for every US citizen.

For example: given limited resources, is it better to try to deport every illegal we can find or should we focus on the violent ones? Does having a strict deportation policy cause folks in that community to under-report other, worse crimes? What are the financial/economic costs and benefits to a strict deportation policy? etc...

Who is deporting people who are "allowed to be here"?

If you're worried about a bloated ICE and Border Patrol...fine. We could simply write a handful of laws that effectively cut all of them off from the legitimate economy (like the UK is considering doing now...and they have about half the problem with illegals that we do). We simply make it so that you cannot receive any kind of public assistance if there's any chance whatsoever that you'll share it with an illegal. 1 illegal in your home....or if you get caught sharing your welfare in any way....and you're cut off permanently. Then we make it so that hiring them is too risky. We fine any company that hires illegals 2 times the amount of money they paid the illegal. If any company is engaging in deception to help illegals work...we fine them so much that they might as well dissolve their business.

Personally, I think that we should find out if they really only take jobs that Americans won't do, or if Americans just won't do them for the slave wages that these businesses want to pay.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Really? You don't think conservatives have ever used statistics correctly?

That wasn't what I meant, but to answer your question:

"Ever"? Sure, they have. "Do they regularly?" - It depends on the context.

I like listening to economics and business podcasts, and a lot of those guys could accurately be described as right-leaning Vulcans - and, believe it or not, I say that with a lot of respect and affection. It amuses me to no end that so many in the field of economics are so hung up on data and logic and eschewing emotion that they'll still argue against incorporating human psychology into their economic models of human behavior. (Arguably, that is itself an illogical position, but that's another story)

So, I don't think you'll ever see me argue that conservatives are wholly incapable of using statistics properly.

That's just it though...either it's good evidence or it isn't.

IMO, it's not great evidence, but it's better than nothing.

For a long time, claims about police abuse (racialized or not) were often met with outright denial or dismissal. Cops are overwhelmingly given the benefit of the doubt, and the people they hurt face long odds when seeking justice. The public supports the police; the system supports the police; and the two reinforce each other: if police aren't held accountable, then the public isn't made aware of their wrongdoing, which allows them to continue supporting the police and fails to encourage them to institute greater oversight. So, when we'd hear about police abuse, we often believed that the charges were just false and that whatever happened was justified.

Now that cameras are ubiquitous, we're starting to see that some of these charges are justified and that, in many cases where external oversight is lacking, departments are content to sweep the charges under the rug.

What are the rates of the incidents? I don't know. I don't know that we have good enough data to determine that yet. But the anecdotal evidence at least suggests that it's greater than the near-zero rate that we previously believed it to be.

If you're relying on an example of a cop shooting a black kid with a toy gun as part of the argument that cops are killing black kids out of racism....then you have to accept anecdotal evidence of them shooting a white kid with a Wii remote as evidence they aren't.

If you're going to use evidence of a white cop shooting an unarmed black man as evidence of racism...then you have to accept a black cop or an unarmed white man as evidence that it isn't racism.

I understand that statistics aren't really good at showing racism....and that's why you rely on anecdotes....but at some point perhaps it's worth considering that your narrative is just wrong. It's worth considering that you're using bad evidence and spurious statistics to support a narrative that isn't true. Instead of looking at the evidence and then drawing conclusions....you started with a conclusion and have been trying to prop it up with bad evidence.

All the while ignoring any evidence that ran contrary to your conclusions.

I sincerely hope that we see a push to greatly increase data collection and reporting among all LEO at all levels, so that we can ultimately put these sorts of questions to bed.

Ok...you don't understand the problem then.

In the case of the OP....2 injustices occurred. The first, and obvious injustice, is that this illegal alien killed 3 people...pretty simple. The second injustice, and the less obvious one, is that these murders only happened because the people of the county where he was arrested decided they didn't have to follow the law and refused to turn him over to ICE. Does that make sense? Had those people not been so stupid and self-righteous...those 3 murder victims would be alive today. That's the second injustice.

I'm simply trying to fight injustice. I'm just pointing out that the collective stupidity of those who promote "sanctuary cities" and counties are committing an injustice that dramatically affects the lives of their fellow Americans. It may be a murder, it may be a drunk driving accident, it may be an armed robbery....it doesn't really matter. The point is that the victims of those crimes are only victims because the liberal left allows it.

I get it. But the same argument could be made for nearly any detainment program. Should we let people out on bail or detain them indefinitely? Recidivism would plummet if every sentence was a life sentence.

Obviously, that's an extreme case, but on some level, policy makers have to play the odds rather than try to cover every single case. Does complying with every single ICE request make the population, on average, safer? I don't know the answer to that, but I wouldn't automatically assume that the answer is yes.

More harm than good in what way?

Take your pick.

Who is deporting people who are "allowed to be here"?

What I mean is that I'd prefer to solve our problem with people coming here illegally by making it easier to come here legally. i.e. you won't have a problem with speeders if you get rid of the speed limit.

Personally, I think that we should find out if they really only take jobs that Americans won't do, or if Americans just won't do them for the slave wages that these businesses want to pay.

Yeah, that would be interesting.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You still haven't answered the real question. Which is why was he allowed to remain? If he wasn't allowed to remain the others would still be alive.

I doubt you will get an answer to a straightforward question like that.

Hundreds if not probably many thousands would still be alive if there were no illegal aliens here.
M-Bob

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
That wasn't what I meant, but to answer your question:

"Ever"? Sure, they have. "Do they regularly?" - It depends on the context.

I like listening to economics and business podcasts, and a lot of those guys could accurately be described as right-leaning Vulcans - and, believe it or not, I say that with a lot of respect and affection. It amuses me to no end that so many in the field of economics are so hung up on data and logic and eschewing emotion that they'll still argue against incorporating human psychology into their economic models of human behavior. (Arguably, that is itself an illogical position, but that's another story)

So, I don't think you'll ever see me argue that conservatives are wholly incapable of using statistics properly.

That's fair...I won't argue this point. I will add though, that while it may be more prevalent on the right, it's not exclusive to them. I've seen plenty of incidents where liberals use proportional statistics to make one point, then ignore them to make another. For example, claiming that black men are disproportionately killed by police....and then claiming that white men commit more murders violent crimes (which is true...but ignores proportionality). It's not a one-sided problem.

IMO, it's not great evidence, but it's better than nothing.

Then is it right to call out conservatives for using anecdotal evidence in the arguments made on this thread?

You're saying that a lack of good statistical data is the reason why there's so many arguments made based on anecdotal evidence against police. Well there's just as little, if not less, good statistical data for illegals and crime. We know that the closer you get to the border, the more common some crimes are...like car theft...but even though the logical conclusion is that it's because illegals can quickly get stolen cars into Mexico, it's hard to directly link them to the crimes.

I just want to see consistency. You shouldn't use, and justify, anecdotal evidence in your arguments against police for years....and then suddenly act like anecdotal evidence is no good when the other side uses it the same way.

For a long time, claims about police abuse (racialized or not) were often met with outright denial or dismissal. Cops are overwhelmingly given the benefit of the doubt, and the people they hurt face long odds when seeking justice. The public supports the police; the system supports the police; and the two reinforce each other: if police aren't held accountable, then the public isn't made aware of their wrongdoing, which allows them to continue supporting the police and fails to encourage them to institute greater oversight. So, when we'd hear about police abuse, we often believed that the charges were just false and that whatever happened was justified.

Now that cameras are ubiquitous, we're starting to see that some of these charges are justified and that, in many cases where external oversight is lacking, departments are content to sweep the charges under the rug.

What are the rates of the incidents? I don't know. I don't know that we have good enough data to determine that yet. But the anecdotal evidence at least suggests that it's greater than the near-zero rate that we previously believed it to be.

I'll agree that a large part of the public had serious misconceptions about the police until recently...but that's really their fault. I don't expect the police to stop people from praising or thanking them to remind them that a small number of their community is either corrupt or racist or otherwise a "bad cop". Last I checked, there was about half a million cops in this nation....and I'm just talking about regular PD, not sheriffs, not feds....just regular police. If someone is so ignorant that they never think a cop does anything wrong, or that mistakes don't happen in a population of 500,000...that's their fault, not the cop's.

Ironically, I've seen the same mistaken perceptions about the military in my discussions on here. We'll be talking about the police after a shooting...I suggest that it's possible that it wasn't racial, that the cop simply made a mistake...and someone else pops in talking about how the military never makes these kinds of mistakes and if they do, they never get covered up or swept under the rug or otherwise brought to light. They're completely ignorant of the realities of life and the realities of these situations where we give someone a gun and tell them to make quick decisions about who should live and who should die.

I sincerely hope that we see a push to greatly increase data collection and reporting among all LEO at all levels, so that we can ultimately put these sorts of questions to bed.

No disagreement with that. I just think that people need to realize that no matter how perfect we can get a situation...there's always going to be mistakes/problems. There's no real way to rid the world of racism....so there's always going to be a racist cop somewhere. That's not to say we shouldn't call it out when we see it...but it also doesn't matter if we tear down the entire institution and rebuild it...it's still going to be there somewhere.

I get it. But the same argument could be made for nearly any detainment program. Should we let people out on bail or detain them indefinitely? Recidivism would plummet if every sentence was a life sentence.

I'm not sure if you read my post to TLK about this, but if you didn't, I'll give you the short version. When ICE puts a detainer on someone, all that means in practical terms is they want to be notified of when the person will be released. They aren't saying the person is to be kept in jail by the county sheriff until they get him a hearing....they're literally just saying "let us know when you're done with him so we can pick him up."

Now, it varies from case to case....but in this case in the OP....the guy probably got charged with domestic violence and if he had no prior record, he probably only did a little time for it. So all that county had to do was tell ICE that he's in this jail, for this amount of time, and he should be released on this date.

If they did that, then ICE would be there to pick him up when he's set to be released. They'd probably take him to the local US marshal's office, throw him in their jail for a day or two until they can put him in front of an immigration judge and kick him out of the country. Immigration courts are backed up....but this guy with his violent crime conviction would've gotten priority. He wouldn't be sitting there for weeks and months....he would have been gone rather quickly.

They didn't do that because they're a sanctuary city/county. They don't follow up on any detainers that ICE puts on anyone. Frankly, if I were one of the family members of one of the victims...I'd sue that county into poverty. I'd want to ruin their lives like they ruined mine.

Obviously, that's an extreme case, but on some level, policy makers have to play the odds rather than try to cover every single case. Does complying with every single ICE request make the population, on average, safer? I don't know the answer to that, but I wouldn't automatically assume that the answer is yes.

Why not? Even if only 1 in 100 aliens was a violent criminal....or otherwise engaged in some sort of life threatening crimes like drunk driving....you only get rid of that person and avoid the damage they'll do by removing all of them. This isn't Minority Report...Tom Cruise isn't there to tell us which ones are going to kill or injure someone in the future. The only way to get the potentially dangerous ones out is to remove all of them.

If you removed 10,000 of them from a county...and only 10 of them would have killed someone at some point in the future, then congratulations...you just saved whoever the victims of those 10 people are. That is, by definition, making the county safer.

Take your pick.

What I mean is that I'd prefer to solve our problem with people coming here illegally by making it easier to come here legally. i.e. you won't have a problem with speeders if you get rid of the speed limit.

What exactly is the problem with the way we allow people to come here legally now?

I'm willing to consider your position here...but I'm not entirely sure what you think the problem is.

Last I checked, we allow about a million people to come here legally every year....of which about 600,000 are here to stay. On average, I think around 32 million people are legally immigrants in the US. That's 1/10th of the population...which frankly, is a lot by just about any nation's standards.

As I said, if you want to allow for more...I'm more than willing to consider any argument you have for it. What I want to know though is what you think the current problem with immigration is, and how it would benefit us to allow more in.

Yeah, that would be interesting.

I think it's inevitable. There's 7.5 billion people on the planet...of which 6 billion live in far worse conditions than we do. Even in the best possible scenario, with the most egalitarian government, that provided the best standards of living for the average person....we could never support a population of 6 billion. I don't think we'll get to half a billion people without serious problems and sliding down towards the standard of living these people are running from now. It's not as if we're sitting on more resources than 100 years ago....or that global climate change isn't about to make things a lot harder for most of those 6 billion people.

We'll have to shut our doors eventually....it's just a matter of when.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I think it's inevitable. There's 7.5 billion people on the planet...of which 6 billion live in far worse conditions than we do. Even in the best possible scenario, with the most egalitarian government, that provided the best standards of living for the average person....we could never support a population of 6 billion. I don't think we'll get to half a billion people without serious problems and sliding down towards the standard of living these people are running from now. It's not as if we're sitting on more resources than 100 years ago....or that global climate change isn't about to make things a lot harder for most of those 6 billion people.

We'll have to shut our doors eventually....it's just a matter of when.

Strictly hypothetical (and in no way related to certain movies out there... ;) ) if the planet's population were to suddenly be cut in half, would that be preferable?

Upvote 0