provincial
✟762,913.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Was John the Baptist really Elijah? If so, does that mean reincarnation is a biblically backed position? What do you make of these passages—

Matthew 17:11-13
11 Jesus replied, “To be sure, Elijah comes and will restore all things. 12 But I tell you, Elijah has already come, and they did not recognize him, but have done to him everything they wished. In the same way the Son of Man is going to suffer at their hands.” 13 Then the disciples understood that he was talking to them about John the Baptist.

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Was John the Baptist really Elijah? If so, does that mean reincarnation is a biblically backed position? What do you make of these passages—

11 Jesus replied, “To be sure, Elijah comes and will restore all things. 12 But I tell you, Elijah has already come, and they did not recognize him, but have done to him everything they wished. In the same way the Son of Man is going to suffer at their hands.” 13 Then the disciples understood that he was talking to them about John the Baptist.

Are you able to recall just how ELIJAH died?

NO, he was not Reincarnated, and NO the Bible does not back the concept of Reincarnation.

Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
So he was translated into John the Baptist? But we know John the baptist was in his mother's womb. So... I don't get it, sorry.

I knew that was coming, but no.

Luke 1:17
And he shall go before him in the spirit and power of Elias, to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the disobedient to the wisdom of the just; to make ready a people prepared for the Lord.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,671,345.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So he was translated into John the Baptist? But we know John the baptist was in his mother's womb. So... I don't get it, sorry.
The only way I can think to describe it to you is the spotless lamb was a ‘type’ for Christ to come. Elijah was a ‘type’ for John the Baptist. Scripture is full of types and shadows in Salvation history. The RCC calls Mary the new Eve. Do you understand now?

Upvote 0

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟762,913.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The only way I can think to describe it to you is the spotless lamb was a ‘type’ for Christ to come. Elijah was a ‘type’ for John the Baptist. Scripture is full of types and shadows in Salvation history. The RCC calls Mary the new Eve. Do you understand now?

A bit better, thank you sir

• Friendly
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
John 'came in the spirit of Elijah' who was foretold to come before the coming of Messiah. Jesus told his disciples that John was the one to come to prepare the way of the L-RD.

Now Elijah himself I have hypothesized would come at the end times, before the return of Messiah, but for some it will be the first coming.

Some think he is being held in 'reserve' for this duty and he is one of the two witnesses who will see death but will be resurrected.

• Informative
Reactions: Chris V++
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,671,345.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A bit better, thank you sir
I’m female but glad I could help. The point is, there is no room for reincarnation in Christianity. Elijah was a type for things to come.

• Agree
Reactions: mmksparbud
Upvote 0

Ivan Hlavanda

Mar 27, 2020
York
✟84,331.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Not Elijah in person, but John the Baptist, who was to come in the power and spirit of Elijah, Luke 1:17.
Between whom there was a great likeness in their temper and disposition; in their manner of clothing, and austere way of living; in their courage and integrity in reproving vice; and in their zeal and usefulness in the cause of God and true religion.

And in their famous piety and holiness of life; and in being both prophets; see Matthew 11:11 and that he is intended is clear from Matthew 17:10.

“Elias truly shall first come, and restore all things”: - He did not mean by this that Elijah was yet to come, for he tells them immediately Matthew 17:12 that he had come; but he meant to affirm that it was a true doctrine which the scribes taught, that Elijah would appear before the coming of the Messiah. To "restore" means to put into the former situation. See Matthew 12:13.

Hence, it means to heal, to correct and to put in proper order. Here it means that Elijah would put things in a proper state; he would be the instrument of reforming the people, or of restoring them, in some measure, to proper notions about the Messiah and preparing them for his coming.

Before the coming of John the Baptist the views of the Jewish leaders were erroneous, their expectations were worldly, and their conduct were exceedingly depraved. He corrected many of their notions about the Messiah (see Matthew 3), and he was the instrument of an extensive reformation, and thus restored them, in some degree, to correct views of their own system and of the Messiah, and to a preparation for his advent.

• Informative
Reactions: friend of
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Messerve

Sep 30, 2018
hjkhjkh
✟25,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
At the Mount of Transfiguration Moses and Elijah appeared and spoke with Jesus. Jesus was a good friend of John the Baptist and the disciples had certainly met him. So it would be more likely they would have seen it as John the Baptist and Moses - not Elijah and Moses. So, no, John the Baptist is no reincarnation of Elijah, but he is similar by way of his prophetic gifting.

It's probably even deeper than that, but that's what I know on a surface level at least.

Upvote 0

Messerve

Sep 30, 2018
hjkhjkh
✟25,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
You are very welcome! :)
:rolleyes:?
John 'came in the spirit of Elijah' who was foretold to come before the coming of Messiah. Jesus told his disciples that John was the one to come to prepare the way of the L-RD.

Now Elijah himself I have hypothesized would come at the end times, before the return of Messiah, but for some it will be the first coming.

Some think he is being held in 'reserve' for this duty and he is one of the two witnesses who will see death but will be resurrected.
Enoch and Elijah? Hmmm...

Upvote 0

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟762,913.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Enoch and Elijah? Hmmm...

Yeah I'm thinking the 2 end times witnesses are these two. Both were translated and didn't see death. Moses OTOH did see death and didn't see the promised land.

Upvote 0

Messerve

Sep 30, 2018
hjkhjkh
✟25,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Yeah I'm thinking the 2 end times witnesses are these two. Both were translated and didn't see death. Moses OTOH did see death and didn't see the promised land.
Moses did die... Deuteronomy 34:5. But he did get to see the Promised Land first by way of a vision.

Upvote 0