Regeneration

Xeno.of.athens

I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of heaven.
May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,413.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
What exactly is regeneration, is it to be "born again" in some sense, is it to be "born from above" in some way, and who is regenerate and when does regeneration happen?

I am a Catholic so teach that being born from above, also known as "new birth" or "being born again," is a central aspect of salvation. This teaching is based on the belief that all people are born into original sin and are in need of being reborn through grace in order to be reconciled to God. The Catholic Church emphasizes that this rebirth is a supernatural work of God's grace that is initiated through baptism, which is considered to be the door into spiritual life.

Scripture references that support this teaching include John 3:5, where Jesus says to Nicodemus, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God." The Church also cites Titus 3:5, which says, "He saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit."

In Catholic theology, regeneration is understood as a transforming work of the Holy Spirit that changes a person from the inside out, giving them a new life in Christ. This work of grace enables a person to live a life that is in accord with God's will, to grow in love and holiness, and to share in the divine life of the Trinity. Through regeneration, a person is able to participate in the life of the Church and to contribute to its mission in the world.

In protestant terminology what I believe would be called "baptismal regeneration" and Justification and sanctification all packed into one thing, which might be called "salvation" in protestant circle.

These themes, baptismal regeneration, justification & sanctification, and salvation have often been discussed in CF. I participated in a discussion about Calvinism which concentrated on two aspects of theology "predestination" and "limited atonement", but here there is a wider circle to draw. It encompasses the start, middle, and end of one's experience of God's saving grace. Is it possible, without full capitulation, for this to be resolved to the mutual satisfaction of all? What specific difficulties exist, can they be sustained after the full light of - I want to write scripture, but I am aware that for me scripture has 73 canonical books, for some of you the number is smaller and for others it is larger so what can I write - of God's written revealed truth?

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,474.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What exactly is regeneration, is it to be "born again" in some sense, is it to be "born from above" in some way, and who is regenerate and when does regeneration happen?

I am a Catholic so teach that being born from above, also known as "new birth" or "being born again," is a central aspect of salvation. This teaching is based on the belief that all people are born into original sin and are in need of being reborn through grace in order to be reconciled to God. The Catholic Church emphasizes that this rebirth is a supernatural work of God's grace that is initiated through baptism, which is considered to be the door into spiritual life.

Scripture references that support this teaching include John 3:5, where Jesus says to Nicodemus, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God." The Church also cites Titus 3:5, which says, "He saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit."

In Catholic theology, regeneration is understood as a transforming work of the Holy Spirit that changes a person from the inside out, giving them a new life in Christ. This work of grace enables a person to live a life that is in accord with God's will, to grow in love and holiness, and to share in the divine life of the Trinity. Through regeneration, a person is able to participate in the life of the Church and to contribute to its mission in the world.

In protestant terminology what I believe would be called "baptismal regeneration" and Justification and sanctification all packed into one thing, which might be called "salvation" in protestant circle.

These themes, baptismal regeneration, justification & sanctification, and salvation have often been discussed in CF. I participated in a discussion about Calvinism which concentrated on two aspects of theology "predestination" and "limited atonement", but here there is a wider circle to draw. It encompasses the start, middle, and end of one's experience of God's saving grace. Is it possible, without full capitulation, for this to be resolved to the mutual satisfaction of all? What specific difficulties exist, can they be sustained after the full light of - I want to write scripture, but I am aware that for me scripture has 73 canonical books, for some of you the number is smaller and for others it is larger so what can I write - of God's written revealed truth?
Regeneration is by Spirit. Blessings.

Matthew 3:11 NCB

11 “I baptize you with water for repentance, but the one who is coming after me is more powerful than I am. I am not worthy to carry his sandals. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟825,826.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

John 3 Nicodemus

Nicodemus’ job was to help Jews with their problems, but was he addressing his own problem, since Jesus is telling him he has a huge problem, which Nichodemus had the answer to. This sounds very much like myself, so I can easily relate to Nicodemus and unfortunately react like Nicodemus, which is not good. We know better, we should have done or do, than we do.

One of Jesus’ jobs is to help individuals reach the next level in their spiritual growth, but they first got to do what they personally already know to do. If they are not going to do what they already know to do, there is no reason to try and move forward. Christ is hard on people not doing what they know they should do (“why come to me if you already know what to do”) and Christ is not “Mr. Answer Man”, but forces you to think and answer your own questions.

We need to try and put ourselves in Nicodemus’ shoes at that time and place, so what does Nicodemus know he should do (without any need for help from Christ) that he is not doing for his spiritual growth?

It is fine and nice Nicodemus wants to learn more about Christ, but again he is not dealing with the knowledge he already has, so what will he do with more knowledge of Christ?

Set Christ aside for a moment, who and what teaching is out there, that Nicodemus has to deal with? John the Baptist had to be a hot topic among all the Pharisees and in the Sanhedrin especially. Scholars like Nicodemus would have easily concluded John was a prophet of God, being totally consistent with scripture. All the common Jewish people accepted John’s message (the truth taught in scripture plus the prophecies concerning the Christ) and were baptized, so it would be much easier for Bible Scholars to understand the truth. They did not debate what he was saying with him or his disciples, so it appears there was nothing to debate.

A problem for Nicodemus is the fact: “if Nicodemus submits to John’s baptism he would have been kicked out of the Sanhedrin, so what did Nicodemus decide to do?”

One issue with the amniotic fluid be considered “water” in the first century does not hold well, since it was dirty (really being the baby’s pee). The “water” spoken of also seems to be something should do and not something we all experience. (more can be said)

To make this Christian Baptism, means you have to be Christian immersion baptism as a requirement for entering the kingdom, so your hell bound without this baptism. Problems with this are: people even in the OT who were not baptized, are part of the Kingdom today. Christian baptism has not yet been instituted. There are all the other scriptures describing “born again”, becoming a child of God, born seems to believe in Christ, not needing water, and others.

My idea is this and I will emphasis the differences with the book’s conclusions: context, context, context, context and context

1. Why did Nicodemus describe Jesus as “Rabbi”?

2. The whole coming at night with Jesus saying: “Light has come into the world, but people loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. 20 Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that their deeds will be exposed.” So what evil is Nicodemus involved in doing at this time?

3. Jesus says: 11 “Very truly I tell you, we speak of what we know, and we testify to what we have seen, but still, you people do not accept our testimony”, so who is the “we” making testimony and the “you people” not accepting?

4. The book likes to skip to the next individual encounter of Jesus, but sandwiched in-between is the narrative on John the Baptist, so why is John the Baptist, right after the Nichodemus story?

5. John says something very similar to Jesus: 32 “He testifies to what he has seen and heard, but no one accepts his testimony” and goes on to say: 36 “Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God’s wrath remains on them.” (Is that not John the Baptist’s testimony?)

I always say: “When I approach someone of different believes I start with where we agree and move from there”. Jesus would know the full extent of where Nicodemus was in agreement with the truth and hit him at the highest point, but would it be truth Nicodemus knew, but would not speak?

Nicodemus at this point would not be sure Jesus was the Messiah, but what did he know?

As we see from Jesus’ response to Nicodemus, Jesus is responding to what is on the heart of Nicodemus (this is like all of Jesus’ responses to all people who come to him) and from “I tell you”, It is very individual. This is particularly for Nicodemus. Nicodemus cannot just shrug it off because Jesus presses him with 10 “You are Israel’s teacher,” said Jesus, “and do you not understand these things?”

Does that mean Nicodemus did understand, but was not admitting it?

If we could determine how far along Nicodemus was in his Spiritual growth, we could than know what Christ was addressing and pressing Nicodemus with. So where is Nicodemus from the context? What did he know (where did they agree) and yet he was not teaching (thus doing evil)? What question did Nicodemus not want to address in the light publicly?

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
What exactly is regeneration, is it to be "born again" in some sense, is it to be "born from above"
yes
being born from above, also known as "new birth" or "being born again,"
True - that is what it is
all people are born into original sin and are in need of being reborn through grace in order to be reconciled to God.
True - but the Bible also makes it clear that not knowing about sin - exempts one from repenting of it since they do not know about it.

James 4:17 So for one who knows the right thing to do and does not do it, for him it is sin.
John 9:41 Jesus said to them, “If you were blind, you would have no sin;
John 3:5, where Jesus says to Nicodemus, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God."
Water in that case - is the first birth - the human birth and "spirit" is the second birth - by the Holy Spirit

Acts 10 shows the outpouring of the Holy Spirit on the gentiles before they are ever baptized.
Matt 17 shows "Moses and Elijah" standing with Christ in glory - neither of which were ever baptized.

Baptism is the outward ceremony related to the prior choice and new birth of the individual such that as Peter said in 1 Peter 3 "baptism saves - NOT by the touching of water to flesh but rather in the APPEAL to God for a clean conscience" that is made by the one who later is then baptized.

Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,413.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
True - but the Bible also makes it clear that not knowing about sin - exempts one from repenting of it since they do not know about it.

James 4:17 So for one who knows the right thing to do and does not do it, for him it is sin.
John 9:41 Jesus said to them, “If you were blind, you would have no sin;
James 4:17 is about sins of omission rather than sins in general.
And Jesus said, "For judgment I came into this world, so that those who do not see may see, and that those who see may become blind." Those of the Pharisees who were with Him heard these things and said to Him, "We are not blind too, are we?" Jesus said to them, "If you were blind, you would have no sin; but since you say, 'We see,' your sin remains.​
John 9:39-41 is not about being exempted from repentance because of blindness.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It is to be "born from above" (Jn 3:3-8), to have eternal (God's divine) life which was imparted within Adam's spirit (and which he lost for his descendants in his rebellion) imparted again within the human spirit.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟792,053.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
It is to be "born from above" (Jn 3:3-8), to have eternal (God's divine) life which was imparted within Adam's spirit (and which he lost for his descendants in his rebellion) imparted again within the human spirit.
Agreed, though I have to say, better than Adam's original state. Adam could depart it, lose it. We cannot, if we have been sealed with the guarantee.

Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,413.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Agreed, though I have to say, better than Adam's original state. Adam could depart it, lose it. We cannot, if we have been sealed with the guarantee.
Read with some care, this mass addresses the aspect of "better than" rather fullsomely.

Holy Saturday
The Easter Vigil
Liturgical Colour: White.

By most ancient tradition, this is the night of keeping vigil for the Lord (Ex 12: 42), in which, following the Gospel admonition (Lk 12: 35-37), the faithful, carrying lighted lamps in their hands, should be like those looking for the Lord when he returns, so that at his coming he may find them awake and have them sit at his table.
Of this night’s Vigil, which is the greatest and most noble of all solemnities, there is to be only one celebration in each church. It is arranged, moreover, in such a way that after the Lucernarium and Easter Proclamation (which constitutes the first part of this Vigil), holy Church meditates on the wonders the Lord God has done for his people from the beginning, trusting in his word and promise (the second part, that is, the Liturgy of the Word) until, as day approaches, with new members reborn in Baptism (the third part), the Church is called to the table the Lord has prepared for his people, the memorial of his Death and Resurrection until he comes again (the fourth part).
The entire celebration of the Easter Vigil must take place during the night, so that it begins after nightfall and ends before daybreak on the Sunday.
The Mass of the Vigil, even if it is celebrated before midnight, is a paschal Mass of the Sunday of the Resurrection.
Anyone who participates in the Mass of the night may receive Communion again at Mass during the day. A Priest who celebrates or concelebrates the Mass of the night may again celebrate or concelebrate Mass during the day.
As far as the Liturgy of the Hours is concerned, the Easter Vigil takes the place of the Office of Readings.

Candles should be prepared for all who participate in the Vigil. The lights of the church are extinguished.

Longer Form of the Easter Proclamation

Exult, let them exult, the hosts of heaven,
exult, let Angel ministers of God exult,
let the trumpet of salvation
sound aloud our mighty King’s triumph!
Be glad, let earth be glad, as glory floods her,
ablaze with light from her eternal King,
let all corners of the earth be glad,
knowing an end to gloom and darkness.
Rejoice, let Mother Church also rejoice,
arrayed with the lightning of his glory,
let this holy building shake with joy,
filled with the mighty voices of the peoples.

[ Therefore, dearest friends,
standing in the awesome glory of this holy light,
invoke with me, I ask you,
the mercy of God almighty,
that he, who has been pleased to number me,
though unworthy, among the Levites,
may pour into me his light unshadowed,
that I may sing this candle’s perfect praises. ]

[ The Lord be with you. ]
[ And with your spirit. ]

Lift up your hearts.
We lift them up to the Lord.

Let us give thanks to the Lord our God.
It is right and just.

It is truly right and just,
with ardent love of mind and heart
and with devoted service of our voice,
to acclaim our God invisible, the almighty Father,
and Jesus Christ, our Lord, his Son, his Only Begotten.

Who for our sake paid Adam’s debt to the eternal Father,
and, pouring out his own dear Blood,
wiped clean the record of our ancient sinfulness.

These, then, are the feasts of Passover,
in which is slain the Lamb, the one true Lamb,
whose Blood anoints the doorposts of believers.

This is the night,
when once you led our forebears, Israel’s children,
from slavery in Egypt
and made them pass dry-shod through the Red Sea.

This is the night
that with a pillar of fire
banished the darkness of sin.

This is the night
that even now, throughout the world,
sets Christian believers apart from worldly vices
and from the gloom of sin,
leading them to grace
and joining them to his holy ones.

This is the night,
when Christ broke the prison-bars of death
and rose victorious from the underworld.

Our birth would have been no gain,
had we not been redeemed.
O wonder of your humble care for us!
O love, O charity beyond all telling,
to ransom a slave you gave away your Son!

O truly necessary sin of Adam,
destroyed completely by the Death of Christ!

O happy fault
that earned so great, so glorious a Redeemer!

O truly blessed night,
worthy alone to know the time and hour
when Christ rose from the underworld!

This is the night
of which it is written:
The night shall be as bright as day,
dazzling is the night for me,
and full of gladness.

The sanctifying power of this night
dispels wickedness, washes faults away,
restores innocence to the fallen, and joy to mourners,
drives out hatred, fosters concord, and brings down the mighty.

On this, your night of grace, O holy Father,
accept this candle, a solemn offering,
the work of bees and of your servants’ hands,
an evening sacrifice of praise,
this gift from your most holy Church.

But now we know the praises of this pillar,
which glowing fire ignites for God’s honour,
a fire into many flames divided,
yet never dimmed by sharing of its light,
for it is fed by melting wax,
drawn out by mother bees
to build a torch so precious.

O truly blessed night,
when things of heaven are wed to those of earth,
and divine to the human.

Therefore, O Lord,
we pray you that this candle,
hallowed to the honour of your name,
may persevere undimmed,
to overcome the darkness of this night.
Receive it as a pleasing fragrance,
and let it mingle with the lights of heaven.
May this flame be found still burning
by the Morning Star:
the one Morning Star who never sets,
Christ your Son,
who, coming back from death’s domain,
has shed his peaceful light on humanity,
and lives and reigns for ever and ever.

Amen.

Reactions: Mark Quayle
Mark Quayle
Mark Quayle
I like that very much. Thanks.
Upvote 0
Xeno.of.athens
Xeno.of.athens
Its roots are very deep indeed, back to the Exodus, yet seen in the light of Christ - he it is who is the true Israel of God - so that the Church, being the body of Christ, participates in the Exodus and the Resurrection and the Lamb's wedding supper at every mass but especially at the Easter Vigil Mass, the greatest celebration of the Church on Earth.
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

The phrases "born again" and "born from above" are essentially two ways to understand the expression Jesus uses in the third chapter of John, as the word ἄνωθεν (anothen) means "from above" or "from the first", from ano meaning "up", "brim", "above"; and thus indicating "the top" and likely I would think one starts, begins, from the top and it goes down. Thus γεννηθῇ ἄνωθεν (gennethe anothen) indicates a new birth, a birth from above, in a sense a "new start" of life, a new life or new kind of life, one that comes from God.

Our Lord then says that this new birth, this new life from God, is a birth "by water and the Spirit". In saying this He points to a common Jewish idea and gives it a higher and deeper meaning. This is why Jesus says to Nicodemus, "Are you not a teacher of Israel, how is it that you do not know what I am saying?" As a rabbi Nicodemus would be intimately aware of the way that a person is made pure, made new, before God. Through the waters of the mikveh, the ritual bath which Jews regularly received in order to purify themselves, especially when entering into the Temple. The mikveh was also an important part of conversion to Judaism, when a Gentile converted to Judaism they would undergo a ritual bath in a mikveh that signified a brand new life, a "new birth" as a Jew. They were no longer a Gentile, but now a Jew, a brand new life, a radically different identity and relationship toward God as a member of the covenant people.

What is unique here isn't that the Lord speaks of a "new birth" in connection with water, but that it is water and the Spirit. Jesus points to an even higher and deeper meaning, not merely a ritual washing as was common in Judaism; but a new birth through which one now is part of, and therefore can behold, God's saving and redemptive work--namely through Christ Himself. Which is why the Lord then continues when speaking to Nicodemus that "God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever trusts in Him will not perish but have everlasting life". So this new birth, this new washing of regeneration which the Lord speaks of, is centered upon Himself, as the Messiah who will do what needs to be done for the nation of Israel and, indeed, for the whole world. By this He points toward the work He will do, the atoning work of His passion, death, and resurrection. This will be a new washing from God, which places one--through faith--into the life of the Messiah and the Messiah's redemptive and atoning work through which God's kingdom comes down and meets us.

And so, then, after the Lord's resurrection He gives His apostles this commission: to make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the Triune name of the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit. In the same way at His Last Supper He took the ritual meal of the Passover and converted it to be about what He was doing, taking the bread and wine and saying "This is My body, broken for you" and "This is My blood of the new covenant"; so too the Lord takes the common washing of water and invests in it the meaning of Himself, of His passion, death, and resurrection.

For this reason, then, we see when the Holy Spirit was poured out on Pentecost in fulfillment of what was promised, St. Peter stood up to address the pilgrims in Jerusalem and preaching the Gospel, and then calling them to believe, to repent, and to receive Christ's baptism, saying to them, "Repent and be baptized all of you in the name of the Lord Jesus for the remission of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit" (Acts 2:38).

Here we see the Apostle declaring, by inspiration of the Holy Spirit, that this Christian washing of new birth, of new identity in the Messiah, carries with it the promise of forgiveness and the promise of the Spirit. The promise of forgiveness because, after all, God invests in us new life in Jesus (as Paul will say later, we are a new creation in Jesus, that we have received a new man in Christ), the promise of the Spirit for all who belong to Christ will have the promised Holy Spirit. As we remember also what the Apostle Paul says later, the we have received the Spirit of God's Son who, living in us we therefore call out to God, "Abba! Father", for being united to Christ we are joint-heirs with Him, and thus have His Father as our Father.

What is this new life? In simplest terms, it is faith. For without faith we are estranged from God, we do not know God, we are lost and distant and without life, even so much so that it is said that we are dead in our sins and trespasses. But when the word of God comes to us, God gives us faith, "For faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ" (Romans 10:17). And in this way faith makes us new people. For by faith we are now justified before God on Christ's account, out of God's own kindness and love.

So new birth is truly faith, faith which receives and trusts the gifts and promises of God.

Does baptism convey and give faith? Truly it does, for St. Paul tells us that God's word is directly connected with the water by which we were washed, writing in Ephesians 5:26 when he instructs husbands to love their wives as Christ loved the Church; that Christ gave His life and has cleaned us by "the washing of water with the word". "Water with the word", not merely with water, but water with the word--the same word which gives and creates faith as we've already seen.

So, truly, the normative way which most people have become Christians, have become born again, joined to Christ, and come to faith is through the Holy Sacrament of Baptism. For it is impossible to separate baptism and faith, baptism carries with it faith, new life from God, God's word, it creates, strengthens, and works faith in us. By the power of God's grace, the very power of the Holy Spirit. Which is also why the Apostle St. Paul will write in 1 Corinthians 12 that by the same Holy Spirit we were all baptized, and received the same drink, and thus are all brought into the Body of Christ as His precious Church. Even as there is one faith, one Body, one baptism, one Spirit, one Lord, and one God and Father over all.

This isn't to say that if one isn't baptized then they can't or don't have faith, and thus aren't born again. After all, it is the word that gives faith. Not the mere act of applying the water of baptism. But nevertheless, God connects together water and His word together as the Sacrament of Baptism, which is repeatedly spoken about in the highest terms throughout Scripture. So we can say, truly, the one who is baptized has faith and is born again; and the one who has faith is to be baptized. Which is why the Church makes disciples, baptizing them, and teaching them all which the Lord has said. It's not "either-or", it's a package of grace that is for us, for our benefit, from God, because God works and strengthens and gives us all things in Christ by His grace.

As free gift from above, received through faith.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sawdust

Jan 8, 2004
Darwin
✟198,262.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is to be given a human spirit so we become spiritually alive.

Upvote 0

sawdust

Jan 8, 2004
Darwin
✟198,262.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you not believe that all living human beings already have a spirit?
People are born body and soul only. It's why the natural man cannot comprehend the things of God and we all need to be born from above in order to see and enter God's Kingdom.

1 Corinthians 2:14
But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

John 3:3
Jesus answered and said to him, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.”

John 3:5
Jesus answered, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
What exactly is regeneration, is it to be "born again"
yes that is it exactly as we see in John 3.
in some sense, is it to be "born from above" in some way,
Same thing as John 3 states.
and who is regenerate and when does regeneration happen?
It happens when one accepts Christ, accepts the gospel - responds to the Holy Spirit's prompting to confess, repent and turn to God.

Rev 3 "I STAND at the door and knock - if anyone hears My voice AND OPENS the door - I will come in". When Christ steps in - He brings new life with Him.

2 Cor 5 "if anyone is IN Christ - he is a NEW creation - old things are passed away - all things are become new"
I am a Catholic so teach that being born from above, also known as "new birth" or "being born again," is a central aspect of salvation.
So say we all.

As Peter states - the only kind of 'Baptism that saves' - is the "Appeal to God for a clean conscience" 1 Peter 3:21 on the part of one who is participant in responding to the Holy Spirit.

1 Pet 3:21 Corresponding to that, baptism now saves you—not the removal of dirt from the flesh, but an appeal to God for a good conscience—through the resurrection of Jesus Christ,

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
James 4:17 is about sins of omission rather than sins in general.
And Jesus said, "For judgment I came into this world, so that those who do not see may see, and that those who see may become blind." Those of the Pharisees who were with Him heard these things and said to Him, "We are not blind too, are we?" Jesus said to them, "If you were blind, you would have no sin; but since you say, 'We see,' your sin remains.​
John 9:39-41 is not about being exempted from repentance because of blindness.
It is about not doing what you know you should be doing. "To him who knows the right thing to do - and does it not to him it is sin" James 4:17

1 John 3:4 "sin IS transgression of the Law"

John 16 tells us that the Holy Spirit "convicts the WORLD of sin and righteousness and judgment"

And as John 9:41 points out "if you were blind you would have no sin , but you say you see, therefore your sin remains" - it does not mention repentance.

The Holy Spirit uses the Law of God to convict of sin according to James 2
James 2:8 If, however, you are fulfilling the royal law according to the Scripture, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself,” you are doing well. 9 But if you show partiality, you are committing sin and are convicted by the Law as violators. 10 For whoever keeps the whole Law, yet stumbles in one point, has become guilty of all. 11 For He who said, “Do not commit adultery,” also said, “Do not murder.” Now if you do not commit adultery, but do murder, you have become a violator of the Law. 12 So speak, and so act, as those who are to be judged by the law of freedom.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,413.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
People are born body and soul only. It's why the natural man cannot comprehend the things of God and we all need to be born from above in order to see and enter God's Kingdom.

1 Corinthians 2:14
But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

John 3:3
Jesus answered and said to him, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.”

John 3:5
Jesus answered, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.
From whom did you receive this teaching that people are body & soul only until they are born from above?

Reactions: Clare73
Upvote 0

sawdust

Jan 8, 2004
Darwin
✟198,262.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
From whom did you receive this teaching that people are body & soul only until they are born from above?
No one single source really but a pastor from the States who expounded the scriptures put it all together (ie the human condition) so I could understand what I had learned over the preceding years.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
yes that is it exactly as we see in John 3.

Same thing as John 3 states.

It happens when one accepts Christ, accepts the gospel - responds to the Holy Spirit's prompting to confess, repent and turn to God.

Rev 3 "I STAND at the door and knock - if anyone hears My voice AND OPENS the door - I will come in". When Christ steps in - He brings new life with Him.

2 Cor 5 "if anyone is IN Christ - he is a NEW creation - old things are passed away - all things are become new"

So say we all.

As Peter states - the only kind of 'Baptism that saves' - is the "Appeal to God for a clean conscience" 1 Peter 3:21 on the part of one who is participant in responding to the Holy Spirit.

1 Pet 3:21 Corresponding to that, baptism now saves you—not the removal of dirt from the flesh, but an appeal to God for a good conscience—through the resurrection of Jesus Christ,
It is the "appeal to God" that is made before baptism that saves - when the person accepts Christ willingly and is born again. But that person needs to follow in Baptism -- having the fruit of obedience.

Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,413.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
It is the "appeal to God" that is made before baptism that saves - when the person accepts Christ willingly and is born again. But that person needs to follow in Baptism -- having the fruit of obedience.
It seems that only a few translations use "appeal" and not one says "appeal to God that is made before baptism" or anything remotely like that.
Baptism, which corresponds to this, now saves you, not as a removal of dirt from the body but as an appeal to God for a good conscience, through the resurrection of Jesus Christ,​
1 Peter 3:21 ESV

Reactions: Clare73
Upvote 0