✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I've just added the 1995 NASU to my top-5 Bibles in Logos for these ranges:
  • Ex-Malachi
  • Philemon-2 Pt
Are there any more Anabaptists who are 1977 NASB/1995 NASU users here, other than david14433?
(I searched on Google, and NIV and ESV (but I don't use those at all) seemed to be equally popular among Anabaptists, as NASB/NASU.)
New American Standard is the best and most literal version.

Upvote 0

ZaidaBoBaida

When do I stop being a Newbie?
Jul 17, 2012
Right Here
✟50,881.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
  • Ex-Malachi
  • Philemon-2 Pt
Are there any more Anabaptists who are 1977 NASB/1995 NASU users here, other than david14433?
(I searched on Google, and NIV and ESV (but I don't use those at all) seemed to be equally popular among Anabaptists, as NASB/NASU.)

I used NASB/NASU from the time I was in college up until I discovered the deliberate mistranslation of Junia in Romans 16.

Upvote 0

Unix

Hebr incl Sirach&epigraph, Hermeneut,Ptolemy,Samar
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
ECC,Torah:ModeCommenta,OTL,AY BC&RL,Seow a ICC Job
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
For Ro I use the 1989 Revised English Bible and the 2010 translation by Frank J. Matera in a commentary in the Paideia -series: http://www.christianforums.com/t7541241-post59655971/
For several other Pauline epistles I also use REB, for example 1 Thess.

Both are available in Logos: http://www.logos.com/product/24537/the-revised-english-bible-with-the-apocrypha
http://www.logos.com/product/9924/paideia-commentaries-on-the-new-testament
I used NASB/NASU [...] until I discovered the deliberate mistranslation of Junia in Romans 16.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MoreCoffee

Repentance works.
Jan 8, 2011
Near the flying spaghetti monster
✟57,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I recommend the Modern Language Bible aka New Berkeley Version. It's easy to read and accurate. It's my favorite translation. I also like the NASB, NIV 1984, the ASV of 1901, and the Ronald Knox Version. :preach::amen:

I have a copy of the CEB, and I don't care much for it. It's too informal and I don't like some of the renderings. I definitely wouldn't use it for public reading.
What's the CEB?

Upvote 0

Unix

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I've limited the ranges since. I still recommend the same versions that I've been recommending since last year.
  • Ex-Malachi
  • Philemon-2 Pt

Upvote 0

Pastor J Dog

Sep 29, 2012
✟499.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I hear that there are apparently quite a lot of versions that are, tampered... I think Jesus will make a way. My personal second favorite has to be the KJV, simply because the flavor of English that it carries is very, very good for study purposes. A good brother in the Jesus has showed me some up-to-date scholarly work on the O.T. and it looks pretty awesome. It reads well, because there are no outdated or old structures used in the language.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

lewiscalledhimmaster

georgemacdonald.info
Nov 8, 2012
Scotland
Visit site
✟52,923.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Greens
I get this question all the time...
...the Holy Spirit, man [=

Can't understand any Bible without the Holy Spirit ;)

Well, there's a "yes, and no" answer, and there also a "let's consider that people are not all at the same place in their journey" answer, to that question.

In that sense, there are certain things that can be known by most people -- depending on where they are at spiritually speaking, as well as things that cannot be known unless one is quickened (made alive in Christ), and even further along there are those who have so blunted their conscience by sinning that like King Saul, they go off and get their answers from the dark side -- and pay a terrible price for such a decision.

Paul explains this in his letter to the Romans (chapter 1):

....For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse. ....'

(Romans 1:19-20 ESV)

Then there is also something else which Paul wrote about in 1 Corinthians 2, which you might like to consider.

'....The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned. The spiritual person judges all things, but is himself to be judged by no one. “For who has understood the mind of the Lord so as to instruct him?” But we have the mind of Christ. ....'
(1 Corinthians 2:14-16 ESV)

There's one additional thought.

Some folks are happy just reading their Bible and praying, and trusting the Lord to speak to them. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that approach, however if say for instance you come across a really tough passage and you just can't seem to understand what is meant. I had a verse like that (1 Corinthians 15:52 -- I had not idea which trumpet he was talking about. For years I ignored the question, one day I asked it and next thing I had a shelf full of books.)

:clap:
Skype Moo Pronto!!!

Upvote 0

Unix

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Yeah, it's funny how things go! I got suddenly interested in a set (Jimmy Swaggart Bible) and ordered one volume: 1 Cor. The parcel came. I have looked very carefully at my bank account and bankcard rows and the sum was newer withdrawn! So the seller sent me the book and paid for the postage without charge! I'm content and don't want to pay for any additional 1 Cor commentaries.
Some folks are happy just reading their Bible and praying, and trusting the Lord to speak to them. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that approach, however if say for instance you come across a really tough passage and you just can't seem to understand what is meant. I had a verse like that (1 Corinthians 15:52 -- I had not idea which trumpet he was talking about. For years I ignored the question, one day I asked it and next thing I had a shelf full of books.)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Boseven

Not a Novice
Mar 7, 2013
✟7,614.00
Faith
Marital Status
Private
"easier to read but yet very accurate?" ??
"very accurate to what? To the corrupt Greek translation of the Hebrew? Or the corrupt counterfeit family of Greek texts of the New Testament? Or accurate to the Hebrew & Greek Bibles, "Received Texts" which the LORD promised to perfectly preserved every word of, for every generation?

Upvote 0