Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Here's a great verse from this short prophecy:

"Then they that feared the LORD spake often one to another; and the LORD hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before Him for them that feared the LORD and that thought upon His name."

How searching and relevant! :)

We in the New Testament era should value fellowship in wholesome, Godly fear.

Blessings.

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟311,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

"Then they that feared the LORD spake often one to another; and the LORD hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before Him for them that feared the LORD and that thought upon His name."

Blessings.
Ephesians 5:
19 speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and chanting with your heart to the Lord;
20 giving thanks at all times for all things to him [who is] God and [the] Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ,

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Ephesians 5:
19 speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and chanting with your heart to the Lord;
20 giving thanks at all times for all things to him [who is] God and [the] Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ,

Great verses, thank-you, Ms. Maid in His image!

We should really value times of fellowship with other Christians, as we sing, prayer, feed on God's Word and worship together.

Blessings.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Why do you think that the verse is about the new testament with God?

Thank you

Hi, there, A New Day!

Thanks for your comments and as a dispensationalist I think I agree with some of what may be implied by your question, in that I don't see the church in the Old Testament at all.

As an application, Malachi 3.16 can be read profitably by those in the church, even though the church is not part of the primary interpretation of the verse.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,276.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Hi. It applies to anyone who feared God throughout the ages...so much so that a book of remembrance was written before Him about those who feared the Lord and thought on His name.

Fearing the Lord appears to be a paramount factor in pleasing God, and has been throughout history.

I never noticed that verse before. Thank you for sharing it.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,276.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
THIS is a GLORIOUS verse:

"But unto you that fear my name shall the Sun of righteousness arise with healing in his wings; and ye shall go forth, and grow up as calves of the stall." ~Malachi 4:2

(Just noticed that in these 4 chapters of Malachi the "fear of the Lord" is mentioned quite often.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sheina

Born Crucified
Mar 30, 2007
Mississippi
✟9,514.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Blessings.
Great NT application! Hebrews 10:25 goes right along with Malachi 3:16:

Hebrews 10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,276.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Whoa! Look at Malachi 2:2

If ye will not hear, and if ye will not lay it to heart, to give glory unto my name, saith the LORD of hosts, I will even send a curse upon you, and I will curse your blessings: yea, I have cursed them already, because ye do not lay it to heart.

"lay it to heart" is emphasized TWICE in this verse.

Upvote 0

sheina

Born Crucified
Mar 30, 2007
Mississippi
✟9,514.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Whoa! Look at Malachi 2:2

If ye will not hear, and if ye will not lay it to heart, to give glory unto my name, saith the LORD of hosts, I will even send a curse upon you, and I will curse your blessings: yea, I have cursed them already, because ye do not lay it to heart.

"lay it to heart" is emphasized TWICE in this verse.
Look at verse 1:

Malachi 2:1 And now, O ye priests, this commandment is for you.

To whom is the prophet Malachi speaking here? The entire chapter is directed to the Levitical priests (not the Church) and they were being reproved for their impiety. How do you apply this to the Church today?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,276.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Thank you for your response, however this applies (and always has) to any heart under the sun, and i'm sure it applied even moreso to a priest who was to be someone who loved God with all their heart, mind, soul, and strength. Otherwise he was a fraud, and thus abominable to God. An example of how abominable would be when God struck dead two of Aaron's sons (priests) who had no fear of God and did not "lay to heart" God or anything about God.

It surely applies to us if we say we are children of the Most High God. For if it doesn't then we are as tares and Jesus Himself will say 'depart from me for I never knew you', amen?

Last edited:
Reactions: Rebecca Sue
Upvote 0

sheina

Born Crucified
Mar 30, 2007
Mississippi
✟9,514.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Here is an excellent youtube video on the book of Malachi. The man who is doing the teaching has done these short commentaries on every book of the Bible. This one on Malachi is a little over 12 minutes long. Enjoy!

The Bible: Malachi - YouTube

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,276.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Thank you kindly. I will check it out.

I find that the Holy Spirit is an Excellent Teacher. I get a real kick out of it when He does this:

"Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not." ~Jeremiah 33:3

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
THIS is a GLORIOUS verse:

"But unto you that fear my name shall the Sun of righteousness arise with healing in his wings; and ye shall go forth, and grow up as calves of the stall." ~Malachi 4:2

(Just noticed that in these 4 chapters of Malachi the "fear of the Lord" is mentioned quite often.)

Ms. brinny:

It's referred to in the well known Christmas carol, Hark, the Herald Angels Sing:

"Hail, Thou heaven-born Prince of Peace,
Hail, Thou Sun of righteousness."

Blessings.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Great NT application! Hebrews 10:25 goes right along with Malachi 3:16:

Hebrews 10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

Ms. sheina:

Well, exactly.

No Christian lives on an island, right?

I love John's First Epistle's treatment of the theme of fellowship.

It kind of links in, really.

Blessings.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Amen, and i also like the part that specifies those who fear His Name :)

Ms. brinny:

Yes, indeed, as Psalm 111.10 points out also.

Interestingly, both in Malachi 3.16 and in Psalm 111, the fear of the Lord is linked with His name: verse 9 of Psalm 111 says His name is 'holy and reverend'.

Blessings.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Amen! That seems to be a repeated theme and emphasis throughout His Word, doesn't it?

Ms. brinny:

Yes, I'm sure this is the case. (I recall the ref. in Revelation 21 to 'the fearful and unbelieving'; a different kind of fear, of course, a fear associated with unbelief. Whereas the absence of 'fear' in Psalm 46, for instance, 'therefore will we not fear', is associated with faith.)

Blessings.

Upvote 0