USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Hello! I have some gay friends and they know I am a Christian. I am sometimes afraid of the day that I talk about Jesus to them because they are used to the idea that homosexuality is normal and that it's terrible to be against people loving each other, so I wouldn't know how to address the situation. Could I get some advice, please?

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,879.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Hello! I have some gay friends and they know I am a Christian. I am sometimes afraid of the day that I talk about Jesus to them because they are used to the idea that homosexuality is normal and that it's terrible to be against people loving each other, so I wouldn't know how to address the situation. Could I get some advice, please?
If you want to keep them as friends I think really the best you can do for them is pray. Almost any other angle you take with them is going to likely end up weakening your friendship. What would happen in my case is I wouldn't see that as really a bad thing as long as what was said was true ( they chose the opposing lifestyle not you). If you do speak with them you need to stress that you love the person but hate the sin. This is a matter of tough love though, and they may not see it that way at all. They are living a deceived lifestyle at best and against the will of God.

There is going to come a day of reckoning anyway. It's just a matter of at what point do you not tolerate their actions any longer. Will it be when you are invited to an all gay party they are having, when they decide to get married and you are sucked into helping out, or something else. At some point it will go over the edge of acceptability if you are a born again believer...

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
It seems that accepting them requires you to accept everything they do. But that's not how it works generally. You accept relatives even if you do not accept all that they do. You accept neighbors even if you do not accept all that they do. The homosexual agenda is that we must accept and affirm the goodness of homosexual acts and anything else means not accepting them as human beings, being ourselves haters worthy of death. If that is what these people believe they may be permanently closed to hearing anything about Jesus. But if, as you say, they are friends then maybe that has value and they are not pushing an agenda. Not all homosexuals actually are pushers of that agenda. So explain why you value them, as people made for the express purpose of loving God, knowing God, and serving God in this world and the next. People who your savior died for, out of love, just as much as for you. It may be very uphill, but if they see that the first idea out of your head is not to hate them, which it obviously isn't, maybe you can get somewhere. You can stand firm and be a friend. There is a slogan 'hate the sin and love the sinner'. There is a flip side to that, unknowingly practiced by many, which is 'love the sin, hate the sinner'. That's what people do when they accept behavior that is truly unacceptable. That's not really love, even if it is tolerance. We should be intolerant lovers.

Upvote 0

Randy777

Oct 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟91,969.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If they "ask"
I have read all that can be read of the act in question and its all condemning. In other words "forbidden". I can not tell you what you want to hear in this matter. I believe such sin is incorporated into sexual immorality and as such those that continue is this walk of life will not inherit eternal life.
However Jesus can free anyone from being a slave to sin if they are willing and seek Him.

Its a lot easier to state its ok but that would be a lie. Who told them they were born that way?

Otherwise you treat them like you want to be treated. Truth is not abuse.

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Pray for them, Love them and tell them the truth at all cost!. Jesus is the way, the truth and the life and they do not need a watered down gospel, They need to know that sin is sin "However" Jesus died for that sin as well as all others so it can be forgiven and He does in fact still love them regardless of what they may think or how they might feel and He can and will deliver them of this.
I have made several people mad with my boldness on this subject, but I can only speak what I know to be the honest truth and that is what is in the Word of God.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
There's probably a good chance that your friends already know that many Christians are anti-gay. I'd say that this is an opportunity to show your friends the other side of Christianity. Show them that Christians can be kind and generous. If you talk about your faith, tell them what your experience of God is like, how Jesus has forgiven you, how the teachings of Jesus inspire you to live a better life.

If they do ask your opinion on same-sex relationships, or if they ask you to attend an event you're not comfortable with, you can politely tell them "I don't think that same-sex marriage is right", or "I wouldn't feel comfortable going to that event; it's against my religious beliefs."

Upvote 0

st831

samuel carter
May 15, 2018
florida
✟41,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
When we come to Christ, we are saying "I surrender." Which means what He says is wrong, is wrong, and what He says is right, is right. His ways are Higher than ours. I am not suppose to understand them. I am suppose to follow them in Faith.

When you present Jesus to your friends, they will either reject it or accept it. Your friendship will either be an eternal one, or it will end when they are exposed to the Truth. At some point you have to decide if you care more about Jesus than the acceptance of your friends. In 2 timothy 2, Paul said that if we deny Him, He will deny us.

Without Faith, it is impossible to please Him. In 2 Corinthians 3, it talks about how the world has a veil over their eyes concerning God's ways. It is not until someone "Turns to the Lord" that the veil is lifted. So, no, your friends will not accept your beliefs unless they turn to Him. Unless they surrender to the Lord first, they will not understand. We are called to be a light, not to be liked.

Upvote 0

Randy777

Oct 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟91,969.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When we come to Christ, we are saying "I surrender." Which means what He says is wrong, is wrong, and what He says is right, is right. His ways are Higher than ours. I am not suppose to understand them. I am suppose to follow them in Faith.

When you present Jesus to your friends, they will either reject it or accept it. Your friendship will either be an eternal one, or it will end when they are exposed to the Truth. At some point you have to decide if you care more about Jesus than the acceptance of your friends. In 2 timothy 2, Paul said that if we deny Him, He will deny us.

Without Faith, it is impossible to please Him. In 2 Corinthians 3, it talks about how the world has a veil over their eyes concerning God's ways. It is not until someone "Turns to the Lord" that the veil is lifted. So, no, your friends will not accept your beliefs unless they turn to Him. Unless they surrender to the Lord first, they will not understand. We are called to be a light, not to be liked.
You have to see it in this light. We tell them its wrong for their "good". As in we want you to choose life.

Upvote 0

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Don't make the mistake of pretending their sin is worse than yours.

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,879.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Let me ask, do you feel lead by The Spirit to approach them about their lifestyle ? In other words is The Spirit at work in this or is it something of your own mind ? We all have alluded to or outright stated that if you speak it must be of truth. I held off speaking to a lady one time not very long ago for two years because it did not feel spirit led ( she was not saved had cancer and had alcohol issues), I knew she needed a talk so to speak but I wasn't getting answers form the Spirit on this, as I said for two years.. I thought it was of my own will not His. One day when she moved off and out of contact with us I hear wham and scraping in the driveway. She had been totally off my mind and here was her vehicle plowed into an oak tree out here and she had no earthly business here to boot !! I looked out and it was as if the hand of God was pointing at her from heaven and saying " now David speak to her ", it was almost audible. It was that strong. Everything is in His time and He will make it known.

Don't put a huge burden on yourself to do this, God may have a plan for someone else to do it in His own time. That is unless He has already made it clear that this is your duty to perform.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I'm sure there are thousands of people you have not
talked about Jesus to. Just include these friends on that list.
If they ask based on your "glow of Jesus"
then they will be impressed with your answer.
If you tell them they are going to hell based on your religion,
this will not impress them as much considering we all deserve to.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You have to see it in this light. We tell them its wrong for their "good". As in we want you to choose life.
Just as our sinning has us destined for Hell. No difference.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

We are called to be a light. Not be a finger wagger.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Sin is normal. All of us have sinned.

But we are not to single out and give special highlighting to other people's sins (instead of our own!), who have yet to come to Christ, as if we ourselves haven't sinned, as if they are somehow more guilty....as if we aren't exactly as guilty.

Instead, we are to tell people the Good News -- that God loves us so much that He gave His only begotten son to die for our sakes, that whoever believes in Him would not perish, but have eternal life!

Don't worry about removing the specs in other people's eyes, but search our own eyes, Christ instructed us, so that we might help our brothers and sisters better (and notice this is after they have become our brothers and sisters in faith!).

The message of the Good News then is never about us highlighting some particular sin of others, but rather about Christ saving all of us from all of our sins -- all of us. Every person.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

You are a sinner and offend people with things that you do.
Imagine them confronting you with what they think is your sin
and script out how you would want them to scold you.

If you are pleased with the script you've created and you
"love them for saying that", then use that script for scolding
other people.

Upvote 0

Randy777

Oct 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟91,969.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Just as our sinning has us destined for Hell. No difference.
You defense then against forbidden is to elevate the whole church to the same level as forbidden sexual immorality? You declare the whole church as unrighteous to justify unrighteousness.
I think you are mistaken. -Repentance is part of the salvation process.
There must be a distinction between the righteous and unrighteous in Gods eyes as I read Jesus's words to the 7 churches and Paul's words and 1John. And Gods word through out scripture.
Zaccheaus is someone who repented and had a change of heart to do the right and reject the wrong. And He believed in Jesus. Jesus stated that was a true sign of salvation. A good tree doesn't bare bad fruit.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You defense then against forbidden is to elevate the whole church to the same level as forbidden sexual immorality? You declare the whole church as unrighteous to justify unrighteousness.
I think you are mistaken. -Repentance is part of the salvation process.
There must be a distinction between the righteous and unrighteous in Gods eyes as I read Jesus's words to the 7 churches and Paul's words and 1John. And Gods word through out scripture.
Zaccheaus is someone who repented and had a change of heart to do the right and reject the wrong. And He believed in Jesus. Jesus stated that was a true sign of salvation. A good tree doesn't bare bad fruit.

I have no intention of justifying any of your actions.
It is up to God to judge and no one else is allowed to
do that.

Here, I can show you that your sins are invisible to my human eyes:

7 But the LORD said to Samuel, "Do not look at his appearance or at the height of his stature, because I have rejected him; for God sees not as man sees, for man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart."

So there is nothing we can see of others that the lord sees past it to the heart.
"Righteous judgment" is reserved for judging the poor that you can help.

Upvote 0

Randy777

Oct 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟91,969.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have no intention of justifying any of your actions.
It is up to God to judge and no one else is allowed to
do that.

Here, I can show you that your sins are invisible to my human eyes:

7 But the LORD said to Samuel, "Do not look at his appearance or at the height of his stature, because I have rejected him; for God sees not as man sees, for man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart."

So there is nothing we can see of others that the lord sees past it to the heart.
"Righteous judgment" is reserved for judging the poor that you can help.

The only think you can state about me with truth is "you don't know me" and thats what you see. You are posting to everyone that states what you seem to dislike is that they are sinners. Hence you elevate the church to unrighteous to justify unrighteousness. And God makes a distinction between the righteous and unrighteous. I didn't ask for you to justify me. And I am quite comfortable in my relationship with Jesus and my future outlook.

Yes we believe Jesus is the judge of the living and the dead and those who continue in the acts in question can expect judgment from Him.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The only think you can state about me with truth is "you don't know me" and thats what you see.

Excellent! So you get my message about judging others!
Thanks for the feedback. Once it sinks in that I cannot
judge you based on your outward appearances...in time...
you will understand that the same applies to everyone
who thinks they can see sin in others.

We can't see sin any more than we can see repentance.

What Does the Bible Say About Judging Others?

Upvote 0