A Jewel In His Sight
Jul 5, 2007
Illinois
✟17,408.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
this is a teaching a friend sent to me a couple years ago. i thought it'd be helpful over here since so many are interested in the prophetic. it explains the different levels of the prophetic and answers a lot of questions. i pray it provides you all with clarity and understanding. also, i wanna add that although God gives us gifts and callings for the purpose of edifying the Body, we are not to seek Him for the sole purpose of receiving a gift or an anointing. that is not the objective of our relationship with God. the objective in our walk with God is to be transformed into His image, not to receive a gift or ministry or anointing. in 1 Corinthians ch. 12 & 14, Paul spent a lot of time discussing spiritual gifts. then at the end of ch.12 he says 'yet show i unto you a more excellent way.' then he goes on to explain that more excellent way - the way of love. i believe he purposely inserted the chapter discussing the way of love in between the 2 chapters discussing spiritual gifts, because he wanted us to realize that love is the only thing that we will take into eternity with us. therefore, it is to be at the core of all spiritual gifts and our motivation for using the gifts. we will know we are being transformed into the image of God when we begin to learn how to truly walk in the way of love. love is eternal. it is not a gift; it is a way that must be taught to us by the Holy Spirit. in the end, love will supercede all gifts. they will cease, but love will remain for eternity.

with that said, here's the teaching:

Dimensions of the Prophetic

Amos 3:7

“Surely the Lord GOD does nothing, unless He reveals His secret to His servants the prophets.”

I have seen that many do not know about the ministry of the Prophet. I believe it is high time for us to explore the different realms of Prophetic Ministry. Until we understand this, many will never know where they fit in. There are 4 levels of Prophetic Ministry, which I will expound on for you all.

1. The Spirit of Prophecy:

Revelation 19:10

“And I fell at his feet to worship him. But he said to me, ‘See that you do not do that! I am your fellow servant, and of your brethren who have the testimony of Jesus. Worship God! For the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.’”

This is the simplest level of Prophetic Ministry. The Spirit of Prophecy makes it possible for all people in a certain area to move in the area of the Prophetic. When the Spirit of Prophecy manifests in a room, all people within the dwelling have the anointing upon them. When the Spirit of Prophecy lifts, the anointing to prophesy is gone. In 1 Samuel 10:10 we see how Saul came into contact with the Spirit of Prophecy. As he walked down the road of Gilgal, he walked before a company of Prophets. As Saul did, the Spirit of Prophecy came upon him and he began to prophesy. From this story, we see how this manifestation of the Holy Spirit works. When you come into contact with the Spirit of Prophecy, you have the ability to do as the Prophets do.

2. The Gift of Prophecy:

1 Corinthians 12:10

“…to another prophecy…”

The Gift of Prophecy and the Spirit of Prophecy are similar, but the gift is on a more advanced level. The Spirit of Prophecy can be taken away, while the Gift of Prophecy cannot. When God gives a gift to someone, He will not take it away. Romans 11:29 says that the gifts and callings of God cannot be taken away. Now let us look at the word Prophecy. Prophecy is when you speak or sing by divine inspiration; to mentally perceive and have vision of. Prophecy means to speak on behalf of another. When we speak on behalf of God, we are prophesying. Now the Gift of Prophecy mainly operates in the realm of the future. Now there are gifts that pass judgment and rebuke, like the Word of Knowledge, which I will explain later.

3. The Prophetic Anointing:

2 Kings 2:13

“He also took up the mantle of Elijah that had fallen from him, and went back and stood by the bank of the Jordan.”

Like Elisha, when someone picks up the “mantle” of the Prophetic, they are endowed with a Prophetic Anointing. Now hear this clearly: not everyone with a Prophetic Anointing is a Prophet. There is a thin line between the two, but never the less, there is a line. To have a Prophetic Anointing means to bear a mantle upon your high calling. For example: there are Prophetic Pastors and Prophetic Teachers. Pastor and Teacher are the high callings and the Prophetic Mantle or Anointing is like icing on the cake. There are different dimensions of Prophetic Anointing. There can be Dreamers, Visionaries, Prophetic Worshippers, Prophetic Intercessors, Prophetic Counselors, Prophetic Evangelist, Prophetic Writers, etc. Each of these can be Prophets, but not everyone with these anointings are Prophets.

4. The Office of the Prophet:

Ephesians 4:11

“And He Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers”

This is by far the most important and highest level of the Prophetic. This is the mighty Office of the Prophet. Without this office, there will be no foundation in the Church (Ephesians 2:19-20). The Office of the Prophet is one of the most important offices in the Body of Christ. Before we go into the attributes of this office, let us understand what a Prophet is. A Prophet, simply put, is the mouthpiece of God. Without the Prophet, the Church will miss out on a lot of what God is saying. Now there are many attributes to the Office of the Prophet:

1. Prophets set up that which is upset.

2. Prophets pull those out of line into order.

3. Prophets speak what God is saying in every situation.

4. Prophets rebuke, reproof, and pass judgment.

5. Prophets exhort, encourage, and exalt.

6. Prophets bring into open view God’s heartbeat and mindset for the people.

7. Prophets give clear direction and understanding.

8. Prophets explain things in all facets of time, getting people to understand the spiritual side of everything.

9. Prophets keep leaders in order and proper place.

10. Prophets stand in the gap in intercession for the people.

Prophet’s have a very unique place within the Church. Their ministry is very important and cannot be neglected. The Prophet’s Ministry is the interpretation of everything from a spiritual standpoint. This ministry is used to bring spiritual implications of things past, present, and future before the people of God. This ministry also gets people to understand the significance of things in their spiritual walk and value. There are three functions of the Prophets Ministry:

1. To hold things to the full thought of God, usually a reactionary thing.

2. A call back, redeclaration, and repronouncement of God’s mind; bringing into clear view again the thoughts of God.

3. Relates to the full, original, and ultimate purpose of God; in and through His people.

There are three gifts that naturally flow through the Prophet:

1. The Word of Knowledge or Wisdom- A supernaturally inspired utterance of facts.

2. The Gift of Prophecy-A supernaturally inspired utterance from God.

3. The Discerning of Spirits-This is a supernatural ability to discern a person’s spiritual character and the source of his actions and messages, such as from the Holy Spirit, demon spirits, the human spirit or from the flesh.

Now Prophets receive more gifts than just these three, but these three gifts are a given.

A Prophet is able to function in four of the five ministry offices. The Prophet can function as Prophet, Evangelist, Pastor and Teacher, as the Spirit wills. When the Prophets come into their rightful place in the Church, things will flow naturally and smoothly. A Prophet must have a heart for the people, moved by the spirit of compassion. The Apostles and the Prophets have a special connection with each other. The Apostle lays down the foundation, while the Prophet reveals the heart of the foundation and brings clarity to it. When the Apostles and Prophets take their place in the Church beside the Evangelist, Pastors and Teachers, we will become a Kingdom, rather than an organization. I pray that this information will bless you all and give you some much needed answers, Amen.

Prophet Herring

Love,
~jazzy

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟164,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
If I may,..... I'm going to recommend a couple of books that give an old school approach to what the gifts and ministries of The Spirit are,..

http://www.amazon.com/Questions-Ans...bs_sr_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1234773133&sr=8-4

http://www.amazon.com/Gifts-Ministr...=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1234773238&sr=1-2

Too often nowadays I'm finding more of a freelance opinion to how the gifts operate in the body of Christ, and what they actually are, as well as what the ministries of The Spirit are. I'm recommending those books as a comparison tool for you alongside people and their teaching as I've found them to be scripturally correct as well as GOD has used them to witness each of the 9 gifts and their operations through me with them.

Just for instance, the gift of prophecy is defined as "Edification, Exhortation, and Comfort" by Paul, yet many folks today try to attach many, many others things onto what they think they understand this particular gift does, when in fact,... it only does those three things according to Paul.

People tend to get confused between when a person is operating in the word of wisdom, which is the actual gift that is predictive in nature, and when a person is just prophesying in the assembly. They just don't understand so they assume something.

The more disciplined we are to scripture the less likely we will make mistakes with how we allow ourselves to operate in GOD's gifts. The 3 highest gifts to attain to are the power gifts, and we are not going to get them if we cannot operate carefully in the lower ones first. You know as well as I know that the perfect standard for each of us is Jesus, and what He didn't do is just as important as what He did, even moreso nowadays.

I've seen a couple false prophets over the years already, a dancing prophet, a singing prophet, and neither one operated in the power gifts,... and I fully understand why when they compromised their position and what scripture says.

I hope you do purchase those books, as they have been quite helpful for me so far. I don't mean to really question your friends teaching here, I just wanted to present some further reading material that you may find helpful.

Upvote 0

jazzypooh

A Jewel In His Sight
Jul 5, 2007
Illinois
✟17,408.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If I may,..... I'm going to recommend a couple of books that give an old school approach to what the gifts and ministries of The Spirit are,..

http://www.amazon.com/Questions-Ans...bs_sr_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1234773133&sr=8-4

http://www.amazon.com/Gifts-Ministr...=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1234773238&sr=1-2

of course you may. :) i will check them out

People tend to get confused between when a person is operating in the word of wisdom, which is the actual gift that is predictive in nature, and when a person is just prophesying in the assembly. They just don't understand so they assume something.

that's interesting. i've always thought that the opposite was true. the word of knowledge being more so a statement of fact about a person's situation, the word of wisdom being divine guidance or direction provided for the individual, and the gift of prophecy being the gift that's predictive in nature

I've seen a couple false prophets over the years already, a dancing prophet, a singing prophet, and neither one operated in the power gifts,... and I fully understand why when they compromised their position and what scripture says.

i've always been leary of people who claim to be 'singing prophets' and so on. i believe the better term to describe them would be prophetic singers or psalmists as opposed to singing prophets. the ones i have heard/seen there was something about them that never really sat right with my spirit. when something doesn't agree with my spirit that usually how the Holy Spirit warns me and raises that red flag... my spiritual antenae start kicking in letting me know something isn't right here...

I hope you do purchase those books, as they have been quite helpful for me so far. I don't mean to really question your friends teaching here, I just wanted to present some further reading material that you may find helpful.

that's ok :). this is how we're edified as a Body. i dont believe my friend has a patent on the subject. we're all growing and learning together

one of the books he gave me to read was an online book by Dave Roberson. have you heard of him? i haven't finished the book yet, but so far i thought it was interesting and well worth a read:

http://www.christianserver.com/files/155/701281246120062142056301.pdf

it deals mostly with the gift of tongues though as opposed to the prophetic, but i know he talks about other spiritual gifts as well

i will try to purchase those books. but i'm interested in knowing is there a HUGE difference between what these authors say and what my friend here is saying? i didn't see him as being totally off the mark here

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟164,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
that's interesting. i've always thought that the opposite was true. the word of knowledge being more so a statement of fact about a person's situation, the word of wisdom being divine guidance or direction provided for the individual, and the gift of prophecy being the gift that's predictive in nature

The word of knowledge does deal with facts, both current and past, as we see Jesus operate in the gift here,..

Joh 4:18 for thou hast had five husbands; and he whom thou now hast is not thy husband: this hast thou said truly.
Jesus states current and past facts about the woman that he could not have known otherwise except by this gift. It's the same gift that operated in Samuel when they were looking for Saul.

The word of wisdom is the one that is confusing, mainly because people confuse what biblical wisdom is, and then they get that gift confused with the gift of knowledge.

Biblical wisdom would be the righteous application of knowledge and truth by The Holy Spirit. GOD's wisdom is known by what GOD has said, by what GOD says, and by what GOD says will be.

Obviously what has been said through the prophets is still coming true.

The aspect of what GOD says can be seen here,..

Mar 12:17 And Jesus said unto them, Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and unto God the things that are God's. And they marvelled greatly at him.
This is certainly truth, not facts of a situation or person, but truth righteously applied by The Holy Spirit for that situation. GOD was also specifically operating this gift through Jesus against satan and his temptations.

It is a wisdom that is from the throne of GOD by utterance of The Holy Spirit.

It's the same way with GOD knowing all the future, that is HIS wisdom. So when a person has started speaking things that are predictive in nature, they have stepped into this gift during that moment. Although the bible does use prophecy in a general sense, it is that gift operating when the prediction is made.

I think it was Ezekiel that GOD had prophesy over the dead bones. We know that prophecy does not restore bodies or perform supernatural miracles, but during his obedience, that miracle happened from GOD. Do we claim that prophecy can perform miracles or do we identify another gift that GOD operated during it?

For me, I try to identify them separately and know where each one was operating, even if GOD operates them together at points, which in that example HE certainly did.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟164,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
that's ok :). this is how we're edified as a Body. i dont believe my friend has a patent on the subject. we're all growing and learning together

one of the books he gave me to read was an online book by Dave Roberson. have you heard of him? i haven't finished the book yet, but so far i thought it was interesting and well worth a read:

http://www.christianserver.com/files/155/701281246120062142056301.pdf

it deals mostly with the gift of tongues though as opposed to the prophetic, but i know he talks about other spiritual gifts as well

i will try to purchase those books. but i'm interested in knowing is there a HUGE difference between what these authors say and what my friend here is saying? i didn't see him as being totally off the mark here

I'm going to say that the material out now is much different than these two books.

The authors are careful to stay within the framework of only what scripture says, verses what some of the authors nowadays seem to be presenting. I tend to find more of a scripture compromise with current authors, the "I experienced it so I'll write about it" stance I feel folks take in material rather than staying disciplined to only what scripture says.

That's my take on it. There are no other books I would begin to recommend on this subject.

Upvote 0

jazzypooh

A Jewel In His Sight
Jul 5, 2007
Illinois
✟17,408.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
thanks Arbiter

those were some good examples. another one that came to mind was with Ananias:

Acts 5:3 - But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thy heart to lie to the Holy Spirit, and to keep back part of the price of the land?

so he knew by word of knowledge what Ananias was doing

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟164,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
thanks Arbiter

those were some good examples. another one that came to mind was with Ananias:

Acts 5:3 - But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thy heart to lie to the Holy Spirit, and to keep back part of the price of the land?

so he knew by word of knowledge what Ananias was doing

Exactly,.. and GOD pronounced judgment against Ananias through Peter.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.