Dec 24, 2005
✟440,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Perry Stone put out this short video today (17 mins).
Its purpose is to serve as a 'warning' on personal prophetic words.

Perry begins the video by sharing his long-standing belief that the Lord still speaks to persons today by the Holy Spirit.
He proceeds to instruct on what you should do when people give a prophetic word to you ...
and what you should do when you receive a personal prophetic word that you believe is from God.

I'm in agreement with what Perry shares in this video, think the video is really very good, and worth sharing ...

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟164,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
That was a good video.

Stone is correct on his quote from Sumrall. The gift of prophesying can be used by The Holy Spirit to confirm things that The Holy Spirit was already showing you maybe a week before. That is part of the encouraging aspect associated with it's operation. I had that happen to me one time.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I've had the opposite. I was given a prophetic word that I did not take especially seriously. About ten years later, some friends read out something from a YWAM discipleship book that confirmed the word. They could see what I could not. My wife agrees, so how can I fight that?

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟164,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I've had the opposite. I was given a prophetic word that I did not take especially seriously. About ten years later, some friends read out something from a YWAM discipleship book that confirmed the word. They could see what I could not. My wife agrees, so how can I fight that?
You could always tell her she's wrong and see how that turns out?!

Predictive prophecy I always consider being done by a revelation gift. The gift of prophesying has it's limitations in scripture of Edification, Exhortation, and Comfort.

If it was predictive, and ended up being true, it was most likely the word of wisdom in operation.

• Useful
Reactions: mourningdove~
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,852.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
We have to be ultra careful about personal prophetic words, especially if they are directional or predictive. John said it right when he said, "Believe not every spirit, but test the spirits whether they are of God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world." Notice that he say that we should treat every prophetic word as false until the test of Scripture is rigorously applied and proven to be consistent with what God has already said in Scripture. It is extremely dangerous to accept a personal prophetic word on face value without checking it out with Scripture. There is the testimony of a believer receiving a personal prophecy from two self-appointed "prophets" that he would be famous and wealthy. He put the prophecy on the back burner to see what would happen. What happened was that he started to suffer from extreme back pain from an unknown cause, and two surgeries failed to correct it. It was only when someone asked him whether he had been involved in the occult at any stage, and he said that he has a prophecy over him, The person informed him that the prophecy contained a divination spirit and it was attacking physically. When he renounced the prophecy, the back pain immediately disappeared.

There have been examples where churches have been visited by some NAR prophets who prophesied that they needed to close and unless they obeyed the prophecy that the glory will depart from their churches. This was the cause of many churches severely damaged and scores of members leaving, and ending up displaced without a spiritual home. It was later determined that these prophecies were totally false, and the elders regretted that they accepted these prophecies without testing them with the Scriptures.

So, it is best to treat every prophecy with suspicion, even if it sounds and appears "kosher". The devil can quite easily counterfeit prophecy so that it is so close to the true, that it cannot be discerned without prayer and careful searching of the Scriptures.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,852.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
You could always tell her she's wrong and see how that turns out?!

Predictive prophecy I always consider being done by a revelation gift. The gift of prophesying has it's limitations in scripture of Edification, Exhortation, and Comfort.

If it was predictive, and ended up being true, it was most likely the word of wisdom in operation.
Treat every prophecy as if it is a divination until it is firmly established that it is consistent with Scripture. It is too difficult to tell a true prophecy from a false one just by listening to it. Get a recording of it, transcribe it into print, and then search the Scriptures for confirmation. The Scripture says that even if a prophecy comes to pass it can still come from divination spirit.

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟164,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Treat every prophecy as if it is a divination until it is firmly established that it is consistent with Scripture. It is too difficult to tell a true prophecy from a false one just by listening to it. Get a recording of it, transcribe it into print, and then search the Scriptures for confirmation. The Scripture says that even if a prophecy comes to pass it can still come from divination spirit.
I think you get the term "prophecy" mixed up a lot Oscarr.

There is prophesying, and there is prophecy.

The gift of prophesying only provides Edification, Exhortation, and Comfort. Either to the individual with the gift, or as a ministry in the corporate setting.

The predictive type prophecy is by a revelation gift (because it is revelation), and that would be the word of wisdom.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,852.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I think you get the term "prophecy" mixed up a lot Oscarr.

The gift of prophesying only provides Edification, Exhortation, and Comfort. Either to the individual with the gift, or as a ministry in the corporate setting.

The predictive type prophecy is by a revelation gift (because it is revelation), and that would be the word of wisdom.
I agree with you. I just downloaded a document by Earnest Gruen, a Charismatic pastor about the "Aberrent Practices and Teachings of the Kansas City Fellowship. It features the scandal surrounding the double life of Mike Bickle. It is very enlightening and saddening that so many people were deceived and harmed through the false prophecies of Paul Cain and Bob Jones.

This shows that we really do need to take the Apostle John very seriously when he says, "Believe not every spirit, but test the spirits whether they are of God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world."

During my 11 years in the Pentecostal movement, I gave many prophecies, including personal ones, but I knew not to give directional or predictive ones. This is because we have the indwelling Holy Spirit to give us personal direction and prophecy does not overrule that, except to confirm or deny a direction already given in the indwelling Spirit of the person.

But in the light of the revelation that the NAR prophets have been exposed as false, that made me nervous because I had compiled quite an extensive library of books on the prophetic, many written by these same prophets. Although almost all the information given in these books was good wisdom about the prophetic, I worried that the .099% of the "rat poison" in them might be making any of my prophecies tainted. I am still having discussions with the Lord about this. I have written a book on prophecy and tongues, but to date after having a re read of the book, I can see nothing to amend concerning what I have written there. I believe that what I have written about prophecy and tongues is totally consistent with Scripture. (I could send you a copy of that book if you like).

I had the same struggle with tongues until I had it out with the Lord and He told me, "I wrote a whole chapter showing you how and when to speak in tongues, and are you going to believe my Word or not?" I asked Him what to base my faith on, and He said, "1 Corinthians 14:2. that sums it up for you. Base your faith on that verse and you can't go wrong." So that is how I know that when I pray in tongues, I am using the gift in a genuine manner and although it might sound like gibberish to me, I have the confidence that it doesn't sound that way to God.

So, I think I am on the same page as you concerning the correct use of prophecy. My "holiness" old school Pentecostal pastor, after a conference where he heard me give several prophecies and interpretation of tongues, at the tea table, got his big black Bible out and said, "Paul, we need to speak to you about those prophecies." I thought, "Oh, here we go..." expecting to be rarked up about them. Instead he commended me, and said I have a genuine gift and I should never let it go. That was a badge of honour coming from that man knowing how strict he was about the correct use of the Spiritual gifts.

I remember once when I remarked about "this tongues business" he rebuked me so hard I thought I was getting a new part in my hair! He said that tongues was a very holy and sacred gift and I should never take it lightly. He has a spiritual warfare tongue that could almost take the paint off the ceiling, and when it happened in a meeting on the two occasions I was present with him, the glory came down and the most hardened people were off their seats, on their knees, getting right with God. Once I experienced that happening, it spoiled me for everything else.

It was a pity that I walked away from my original prophetic vision andleft his church when I got married and went to my wife's church which was a more modern Charismatic church and after seven years became so disillusioned that I left the movement altogether. If I had stayed at my pastor's church, I might still be a Pentecostal today. He died in the late 1970s, and when I went through my storm and stress years during the 1980s, I ditched all my Charismatic mentors and went it "alone", making a general hash of things. When I came right side up again and joined the suburban Presbyterian church in Auckland after 6 years of not going to church, my old pastor's discipleship training came back to me, showing that his teaching stood the test of time.

So I hold to the prophetic and the gift of tongues the way my old pastor discipled me. This is why I am opposed to the modern prophetic taught and practiced by the NAR and Word Faith movement, because it is so different to the way I was trained by a faithful pastor who was a man of prayer and of the Word, who knew how to bring the glory of God down in a meeting, causing general repentance and people getting right with a holy God.

Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟440,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There have been examples where churches have been visited by some NAR prophets who prophesied that they needed to close and unless they obeyed the prophecy that the glory will depart from their churches. This was the cause of many churches severely damaged and scores of members leaving, and ending up displaced without a spiritual home. It was later determined that these prophecies were totally false, and the elders regretted that they accepted these prophecies without testing them with the Scriptures.
But in the light of the revelation that the NAR prophets have been exposed as false, that made me nervous because I had compiled quite an extensive library of books on the prophetic, many written by these same prophets.
Question for you?

You've mentioned the NAR prophets in two of your posts.^
Did/does Perry Stone belong to that group?

I don't 'follow' Perry ... know little about him ...
but I do listen to his program/videos from time to time, when a subject catches my attention.
Since he speaks alot about Biblical prophecy, I've been alittle more attuned to his stuff lately ...
(his, and that of various others)

In the video I shared, Perry sounds pretty 'old fashioned Pentecostal' to me.
What were your thoughts, if any, on the content of the video?

Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟440,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

This was helpful to me.^
For all the times I've looked at prophetic ministry, I did not yet have that understanding.
(Thanks for the 'instructional' moment!)

Reactions: ARBITER01
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,852.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Question for you?

You've mentioned the NAR prophets in two of your posts.^
Did/does Perry Stone belong to that group?

I don't 'follow' Perry ... know little about him ...
but I do listen to his program/videos from time to time, when a subject catches my attention.
Since he speaks alot about Biblical prophecy, I've been alittle more attuned to his stuff lately ...
(his, and that of various others)

In the video I shared, Perry sounds pretty 'old fashioned Pentecostal' to me.
What were your thoughts, if any, on the content of the video?
What he says is the way I was trained in the early 1970s by my strict Holiness Pentecostal pastor. He said that to be successful in the prophetic one has to be a man of prayer and of the Word. I enjoyed the video and it confirms to me that my training as a 20 something year old was genuine and sound.

But I know that my old pastor would never have accepted the fictitious nonsense that passes for prophecy in the NAR and word faith movements. Given that the testimony of Christ is the spirit of prophecy, there is nothing of Christ in the hundreds of prophecies both personal and predictive that have come out of those movements. It is no wonder that churches have been destroyed and many have turned away from Christ and the Gospel because they thought those prophecies came from God and then found out they were lied to by men they thought were of God and turned out they were not.

• Agree
Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟440,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It is no wonder that churches have been destroyed and many have turned away from Christ and the Gospel because they thought those prophecies came from God and then found out they were lied to by men they thought were of God and turned out they were not.

I agree. It is no wonder at all.

It can be very hard to recover from spiritual deception. I imagine some do not.
Spiritual deception damages on a very deep level.

But always the truth is found in the Word of God ... the living, breathing, Holy Scriptures.
And that is where we find our healing, too.

Our God is an Awesome God.

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,540.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would be wary about Perry Stone as he was one of the '20 top prophets' who gave prophetic words for 2020 in 20/20 vision:

It was inaccurate in the extreme. God Bless You. :)

• Informative
Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟164,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I would be wary about Perry Stone as he was one of the '20 top prophets' who gave prophetic words for 2020 in 20/20 vision:

This can be typical at times.

A Christian gets to a point that they think that what they piece together from random events is somehow prophetic, when in fact predictive prophesying is mostly on the spot inspirational, and strictly by The Holy Spirit.

• Informative
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟440,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Hi @lismore ... nice to see you! :wave:

Thanks for the info ...

So, what do you think about the upcoming 2024 U.S. election?
Do you think we will hear all the false prophecies again?

Things now in America are much different than they were in 2020.
Things are now consistently chaotic and much less 'predictable'.
But one thing I need no 'prophet' to tell me ... and that is that the Lord is coming soon!

God bless you also, brother.

• Friendly
Reactions: lismore
Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,540.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi @lismore ... nice to see you! :wave:

Thanks for the info ...

So, what do you think about the upcoming 2024 U.S. election?
Do you think we will hear all the false prophecies again?

Things now in America are much different than they were in 2020.
Things are now consistently chaotic and much less 'predictable'.
But one thing I need no 'prophet' to tell me ... and that is that the Lord is coming soon!

God bless you also, brother.
Hello mourningdove. Thanks for the kind words, glad to run into you again. Hope all is well with you!
Hopefully after the last election believers will be more careful what they say or who they listen to. 'Test everything' as the bible says.
I'm seeing that the world/society are becoming increasingly unstable, a sign of the times. I agree 100% that the Lord is coming soon, as the bible says we can encourage one another with these words. God Bless You :)

• Friendly
Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,540.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Perhaps there is an overlap, sometimes Edification, Exhortation and Comfort can contain a strong predictive element. For example take comfort because such and such is about to happen. God Bless :)

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟164,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Perhaps there is an overlap, sometimes Edification, Exhortation and Comfort can contain a strong predictive element. For example take comfort because such and such is about to happen. God Bless :)

No.

There are specific limitations in scripture for this gift. True prophets are the ones who can speak predictively by The Holy Spirit, not prophesiers, and the specific gift that is used by GOD in prophets is the word of wisdom, which is a revelation gift. Predicitive prophecy is a revelation, a revealing of the future. The gift of prophesying has nothing to do with revealing.

Upvote 0