Worcestershire
✟162,480.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Incumbent Democrat fends off challenge from Republican Herschel Walker to gain party’s 51st seat

The Democratic incumbent, Raphael Warnock, won the Georgia Senate runoff on Tuesday, securing his first full term and delivering a 51st seat to bolster his party’s majority in the chamber.

The Associated Press called the race about three and a half hours after polls closed in Georgia, as Warnock led the Republican candidate, Herschel Walker, by approximately 40,000 votes.

'Walker conceded, acknowledging that his campaign had fallen short and expressing gratitude to his team. The Republican explicitly thanked election officials who ensured the runoff was managed effectively, quelling concerns he might refuse to accept the result.

“I don’t want any of you to stop believing in America,” Walker told supporters. “I want you to believe in America and continue to believe in the constitution and believe in our elected officials … Always, always cast your vote no matter whatever is happening.”'

The Senate has a Democraric majority. Another Trump nominee lost.

driewerf

a day at the Zoo
Mar 7, 2010
✟260,984.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
“I don’t want any of you to stop believing in America,” Walker told supporters. “I want you to believe in America and continue to believe in the constitution and believe in our elected officials … Always, always cast your vote no matter whatever is happening.”'

The Senate has a Democraric majority. Another Trump nominee lost. ...
... more graciously than we got used to., lately.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,430,226.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
'Walker conceded, acknowledging that his campaign had fallen short and expressing gratitude to his team. The Republican explicitly thanked election officials who ensured the runoff was managed effectively, quelling concerns he might refuse to accept the result.

Good for him. At least he was man enough to promptly admit defeat....unlike you know who....

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Incumbent Democrat fends off challenge from Republican Herschel Walker to gain party’s 51st seat

The Democratic incumbent, Raphael Warnock, won the Georgia Senate runoff on Tuesday, securing his first full term and delivering a 51st seat to bolster his party’s majority in the chamber.

The Associated Press called the race about three and a half hours after polls closed in Georgia, as Warnock led the Republican candidate, Herschel Walker, by approximately 40,000 votes.

The Senate has a Democraric majority. Another Trump nominee lost.
I think if Walker had not campaigned at all, he would have won; otherwise, how could it have been as close as it was?

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,589.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Walker, to his credit, seemed to be fairly classy in defeat, conceding the election, and not succumbing to the "it was rigged" talk that we've seen some other pro-Trump candidates resort to in this last election cycle.

There were some lessons to be learned by both sides.

One of the key lessons was that candidate quality matters.

1670455045885.png

1670455085862.png

If you have a state where people are voting for a republican governor, but a democratic senator...there's a disconnect on one or both sides.

Either one candidate was so bad that people were willing to vote for the other team, or one candidate was so amazing that they were able to draw voters from the other side.

I don't necessarily see the latter being a factor in either of these elections as I don't consider Kemp or Warnock to be "amazing" by any stretch of the imagination. I think the lesson is "picking a controversial wacky person who's somewhat detached and not thoroughly vetted causes you to lose winnable elections"

I think Georgia is purple enough, that a really good Democrat could've beaten Kemp, and a really good Republican could've beaten Warnock.

All Kemp and Warnock had to do is be normal, and come across as the "sane, reasonable candidate" in order to win.

If you're gonna engage in the "culture war" type of stuff, you'd better make sure you're in a "safe district" where the majority of the public in that area is solidly on your side, or you'd better be a seasoned pro who knows how to "play the game"

Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Thankful For My Confirmation
Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟785,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
This was literally the only political contest during the midterm elections in which I believe that Warnock and Walker, internally, actually like each other as human beings - I didn't feel the bitterness between them like I felt during every other race. (I didn't watch their debate though)

Upvote 0