Minnesota
✟215,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The senator had been under increasing pressure from the restive, and at times hostile wing of his party that has aligned firmly with Trump. The two have been estranged since December 2020, when McConnell refused to abide Trump’s lie that the election of Democrat Joe Biden as president was the product of fraud.

His refusal to work on the Republican House passed H.R. 2 for border security, and even worse coming up with a bill to promote a continued border invasion, sealed his fate.

Last edited:
Reactions: sandman

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,429,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The senator had been under increasing pressure from the restive, and at times hostile wing of his party that has aligned firmly with Trump. The two have been estranged since December 2020, when McConnell refused to abide Trump’s lie that the election of Democrat Joe Biden as president was the product of fraud.
His refusal to work on the Republican House passed H.R. 2 for border security, and even worse coming up with a bill to promote a continued border invasion, sealed his fate.

...i'm sure his age and recent health related incidents had nothing to do with him retiring.
Rather,it was his unwillingness to toe the MAGA line. Right....

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟215,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Not working with th
...i'm sure his age and recent health related incidents had nothing to do with him retiring.
He's is not retiring, he is staying on as a senator through 2027. As I said, his behavior on the border disaster, thumbing his nose at the American people, was the final straw.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟368,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
1) Absolutely no evidence for that.
2) Sounds like he realizes that death is coming soon and wants to stop. Seems like a very reasonable position to be in.
3) It was his choice

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,429,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not working with th

He's is not retiring, he is staying on as a senator through 2027. As I said, his behavior on the border disaster, thumbing his nose at the American people, was the final straw.

Is that anyway to treat a Senate Leader who flipped the USSC to a conservative majority?

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
CNN

“As some of you may know, this has been a particularly difficult time for my family. We tragically lost Elaine’s younger sister, Angela, just a few weeks ago. When you lose a loved one, particularly at a young age, there’s a certain introspection that accompanies the grieving process. Perhaps it is God’s way of reminding you of your own life’s journey to reprioritize the impact of the world that we will all inevitably leave behind,” he said.

The three Senate Republicans who are most closely-watched as potential successors are known on Capitol Hill as the “three Johns” — South Dakota Sen. John Thune, Texas Sen. John Cornyn and Wyoming Sen. John Barrasso.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Nice to hear you come around on this.
I think it was more his age that sealed his fate.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,429,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Referring to the recent death of his sister-n-law (from his speech on the Senate Floor today)

“When you lose a loved one, particularly at a young age, there’s a certain introspection that accompanies the grieving process,” McConnell said. “Perhaps it is God’s way of reminding you of your own life’s journey, to reprioritize the impact of the world that we will all inevitably leave behind. I turned 82 last week and the end of my contributions are closer than I’d prefer.”

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,091,275.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
To say that I am sorry this longtime obstructionist will resign from his leadership post just shows how absolutely horrible some of his potential replacements might be.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,822.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
For anyone who missed it, here's a video of McConell during his announcement.

a161ca9b-e7ab-43c2-b404-857ec30760fd_w1200_r1.33_fpx66_fpy43.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,770.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Not working with th

Time to throw the one person who has done more for republicans in the last twenty years, under the bus. This was completely expected.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It does show where the average maga mind is though. Everything is about fealty to Trump to them.

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,405,501.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I think it was more his age that sealed his fate.
Yeah, that and,imho, the tragic death of his sister-in-law (which was suspicious to me).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,066.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
...when McConnell refused to abide Trump’s lie that the election of Democrat Joe Biden as president was the product of fraud.
Well, if you're putting up the NY Post as a bastion of truthful reportage...who are we to argue.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,066.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
It doesn't hurt anyone to read a story now and then that is not from the left-wing media. We need to listen to one another.
So you accept what they say? That's a step in the right direction I guess. They've been saying it for some time:

'...the former president’s connections to baseless assertions of widespread voter fraud...' Jared Kushner testified that Trump truly believed 2020 election was stolen: report

You should spread the word. Tell all your friends.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,979.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
When you lose a loved one, particularly at a young age, there’s a certain introspection that accompanies the grieving process. Perhaps it is God’s way of reminding you of your own life’s journey to reprioritize the impact of the world that we will all inevitably leave behind,”
So he's asking whether God killed someone to send HIM a message to slow down? How very self centred of him.

Upvote 0