Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
Hi, I'm really going to apologise before I even ask the question. Im sorry...

Will the fact that I'm black have any impact on me attending a greek orthodox church or other eastern orthodox church?

other than not understanding the course which i will find a way to mange are their any other black greek orthodox ?

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Any impact? I would think not, but the easiest way is just to visit and, if you feel it necessary, ask the priest what he thinks about it. You could also take the direct approach and speak with him prior to showing up for the divine liturgy.

There are historically African populations that are Orthodox, so the idea doesn't seem that remarkable anyway. But I should also say that some ethnic groups that are historically Orthodox--the Greeks, for instance--have a reputation for being clannish, but that would apply, if correct, to anyone who isn't Greek.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

Will the fact that I'm black have any impact on me attending a greek orthodox church or other eastern orthodox church?

other than not understanding the course which i will find a way to mange are their any other black greek orthodox ?

My old church had Ethiopian families. Greeks, I have no idea, but I would not know why there would be a problem.

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

No impact whatsoever. Our parish is mostly immigrant families of Greek and Middle east decent. However, we have several families of color and a few Egyptian/Copts who are regulars.

I'm not sure I understand the question as asked. We have several members in our Greek Orthodox Church who are not pigment impaired as I am. :)

Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Morning,
I'm not in England but the Eastern Orthodox churches are completely open to anyone. At least in the US some of them can be fairly ethnic. My own parish in Virginia is Greek Orthodox but we have a number of Romanians and Syrians so we chanters have learned some hymns in Slavonic and Arabic. You might want to contact the parish before you go. If you come from a non-liturgical background, most churches will have volunteers to sit with you and help guide you through the service. If you are Anglican or Catholic, our services would feel familiar just far more elaborate. Here in the US, some parishes have a contingent of Ethiopians or Eritreans so its not unusual to find Orthodox who are of African descent or even African immigrants.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,254.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

It shouldn't matter. My EO parish has blacks, and ever other color. As Albion said, the Greeks do have a reputation for being a bit clannish, but I think that's an American thing. With other jurisdictions I think it doesn't matter.

Reactions: FenderTL5
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jesus wants you to love every person in any church where you go. If they do not love you, you be their example of how to love so they can find out how to love.

"And I will very gladly spend and be spent for your souls; though the more abundantly I love you, the less I am loved." (2 Corinthians 12:15)

And then, if in a church you visit, you have gotten together with other people who also know how to love, enjoy sharing and staying with one another while you also are ready for love with ones who need to find out how.

Upvote 0

Curiousaboutchrist26

Curiousaboutchrist26
Jun 4, 2015
London, UK
✟14,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
No impact whatsoever. Our parish is mostly immigrant families of Greek and Middle east decent. However, we have several families of color and a few Egyptian/Copts who are regulars.

I'm not sure I understand the question as asked. We have several members in our Greek Orthodox Church who are not pigment impaired as I am. :)

Sorry i meant apart from not understanding what is being said but that doesn't Phase me.

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Sorry i meant apart from not understanding what is being said...
I thought that may have been what you meant, but was unsure.
I can't speak for every parish (obviously), but in ours it's about 50/50 English to Greek and it's not always the same. Some parts, like the "Our Father" will be in both English and Greek (and most Sundays Slavonic and Arabic and sometimes Romanian) depending on who's serving in the alter or chanting.
When I first visited, I thought the language difference would be a barrier. It wasn't.

Upvote 0

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I live in the US and not the UK, so I may not know how UK parishes function, but I know quite a few Orthodox who are Black. I have never seen that be any kind of problem, and everyone always seemed to get along just fine.

I have been to parishes where English was not used much, but most of the parishes I've ever been to have been all or mostly English. The parish I attend is 100% English (although in rural northern Indiana, you're not going to find any languages but English in any significant numbers).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums