Visit site
✟1,021,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
As we enter the Triodion, perhaps we could share quotes of encouragement and edification, from the Church Fathers, Scripture and other quotes regarding spiritual growth in our life?

I'll start with one from St. Paisios

2160273-Elder-Paisios-of-Mount-Athos-Quote-So-in-every-test-let-us-say.jpg

So often, I wonder why we go through trials, temptations, and struggles. In all things, let us give God thanks, as it may be the very thing needed for our spiritual journey.

icxn

Bραδύγλωσσος αἰπόλος μαθητεύων κνίζειν συκάμινα
Dec 13, 2004
✟210,855.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Like the Pharisee I am boastful and my heart is cold; my life I have passed in vanity. O my merciful and righteous Judge, do not condemn me with him, but grant me the tax-collector's humility and accept me. - The Canon of St. Andrew of Crete

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Sick with the flu, so I needed to stay home this morning...figured I’d post another during a short prayer /spiritual reading time (short break from sleeping a lot all day).

CA6CE65B-4A56-4611-ADC8-D0002DB4642B.jpeg

No other labor is as difficult as prayer to God. Every time a person wants to prays, our spiritual enemies want to come and disrupt it, for they know that it is only by deflecting humans from prayer that they can do them any harm.

-Abba Agathon

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0

Glaucus

The Lay Monk
Nov 25, 2017
The Water
✟45,885.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Saint Paisios: Be the Bee and not the Fly

Some people tell me that they are scandalized because they see many things wrong in the Church. I tell them that if you ask a fly, “Are there any flowers in this area?” it will say, “I don’t know about flowers, but over there in that heap of rubbish you can find all the filth you want.” And it will go on to list all the unclean things it has been to.

Now, if you ask a honeybee, “Have you seen any unclean things in this area?” it will reply, “Unclean things? No, I have not seen any; the place here is full of the most fragrant flowers.” And it will go on to name all the flowers of the garden or the meadow.

You see, the fly only knows where the unclean things are, while the honeybee knows where the beautiful iris or hyacinth is.

As I have come to understand, some people resemble the honeybee and some resemble the fly. Those who resemble the fly seek to find evil in every circumstance and are preoccupied with it; they see no good anywhere. But those who resemble the honeybee only see the good in everything they see. The stupid person thinks stupidly and takes everything in the wrong way, whereas the person who has good thoughts, no matter what he sees, no matter what you tell him, maintains a positive and good thought.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Sick with the flu, so I needed to stay home this morning...figured I’d post another during a short prayer /spiritual reading time (short break from sleeping a lot all day).

View attachment 219179

No other labor is as difficult as prayer to God. Every time a person wants to prays, our spiritual enemies want to come and disrupt it, for they know that it is only by deflecting humans from prayer that they can do them any harm.

-Abba Agathon

great find. I once heard that there is only one thing more dangerous than prayer, and that is not to pray.

hope you feel better!

Upvote 0

Glaucus

The Lay Monk
Nov 25, 2017
The Water
✟45,885.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
great find. I once heard that there is only one thing more dangerous than prayer, and that is not to pray.

hope you feel better!
If the enemy wages war with blasphemous thoughts (from his usual wickedness and envy) do not get upset. Instead, use the demon as your worker in the following way, by not getting upset, but by saying to the enemy: "Its a good thing that you brought me those thoughts so that I can say the Jesus Prayer, because otherwise I forget to pray without ceasing." The enemy will then depart immediately, because he is only used to doing evil. I mentioned that because the enemy brings blasphemous thoughts to sensitive people (usually) to make them even more sensitive, to upset them and to cut them down.

Saint Paisios

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
If the enemy wages war with blasphemous thoughts (from his usual wickedness and envy) do not get upset. Instead, use the demon as your worker in the following way, by not getting upset, but by saying to the enemy: "Its a good thing that you brought me those thoughts so that I can say the Jesus Prayer, because otherwise I forget to pray without ceasing." The enemy will then depart immediately, because he is only used to doing evil. I mentioned that because the enemy brings blasphemous thoughts to sensitive people (usually) to make them even more sensitive, to upset them and to cut them down.

Saint Paisios

very nice!

Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Less of Me by Glen Campbell said:
Let me be a little kinder
Let me be a little blinder
To the faults of those around me
Let me praise a little more

Let me be when I am weary
Just a little bit more cheery
Think a little more of others
And a little less of me

Let me be a little braver
When temptation bids me waver
Let me strive a little harder
To be all that I should be

Let me be a little meeker
With the brother who is weaker
And a little less of me

Let me be when I am weary
Just a little bit more cheery
Let me serve a little better
Those that I am striving for

And a little less of me

And a little less of me, less of me

Very true words that we all should try to do!

I'll hope this is welcome, even though it's by Glen Campbell and not any of the Fathers:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
And if you see your heart weighed down temporarily, bring your soul before you and question it until it becomes fervent again and is set on fire in God. For the prophet David, too, on seeing his heart weighed down, said, 'I have poured out my heart by myself; I have remembered the days of old, and meditated on all Your works; I have lifted up my hands unto You; my soul thirsts after You as does a thirsty land.' This is what David did when he saw his soul grow cold, until he had made it fervent again; and he received the divine sweetness both by day and by night. Do this, then, my beloved, and you will grow, and God will reveal to you great mysteries.

Abba Amun (Ammonas), letter III from The Letters of Ammonas, Successor of St. Antony (trans. Derwas J. Chitty and Sebastian Brock)

Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
This isn’t from any of the church fathers, but I’d like to share it both as a prayer, thanks and encouragement. My cousin struggles with aggressive cancer. I was just told that it is starting to recede significantly, despite the doctors saying they can’t do anything for it. We are praying for full healing. :crosseo:

She wrote this song, which touches me in many ways. It’s called At the Height of the Storm. I hope it encourages you as well, as our God is always here through our darkest times.

At the height of the storm we forget that the sun existed
Fear the darkness won’t go
But the sun, it continues to shine above the black clouds and soon its rays will break through

The sun shines bright
The sky blazes blue
All seems right, all seems true
Until one day the light turns dark as night
The rolling clouds rush in with all their might
Any the only sound to be heard is the rushing wind
Til the memory of the sun becomes dim

But the sun, it continues to shine above the black clouds and soon its rays will break through

The unexpected can turn beautiful
The unplanned can turn wonderful
The dark clouds seemed like they would always stay
Turn hazy with the light of coming day
And the blackest night is pierced by the rising sun
For by light the darkness is always overcome

Bringing light and life again

And the darkness will flee

Just hold on, the light will come
Just hold on, this night will end
Just hold on, the sun will rise again

And the dark clouds will flee

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
@All4Christ, could you recommend a book of the sayings or writings of Saint Porphyrios?
I am interested in reading Wounded By Love, but I haven’t yet. I read a lot of sayings and stories online. Also, Scribd has a lot of documents that people uploaded that compile his stories and sayings.

• Informative
Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I am interested in reading Wounded By Love, but I haven’t yet. I read a lot of sayings and stories online. Also, Scribd has a lot of documents that people uploaded that compile his stories and sayings.

it's an amazing book. there is also A Hesychast from the Holy Mountain in the Heart of a City, which is his life as a hospital chaplain.

• Informative
Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
"Strive to intensify your faith, and during the Divine Liturgy be undistracted and attached to the celebration of the services so that you might be granted to behold the majesties of God." -St George of Drama

Reactions: All4Christ
Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
"Strive to intensify your faith, and during the Divine Liturgy be undistracted and attached to the celebration of the services so that you might be granted to behold the majesties of God." -St George of Drama
I never heard of St George...I will be looking at some things online about him. Very true words.

Upvote 0