USA
✟481,266.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Give you names of people who say that. It is a common problem that people who get involved in the health message start acting Superior to other people it's a form of pride. Just had some old lady who's had a life of complete and utter destruction get up in my face and be self-righteous to me and virtue signal because somebody got an ice cream and she didn't think it was the right thing to do. A woman literally stuck her nose up at me. You are not presenting adventism as it really is. Adventism is also changed since the seventies and eighties and the early 90s. Some cases for the better in other cases for the worse. The social makeup of advertism. Does more complex than people like you want to admit. You have a very limited view of adventism. Just comes across and everything you say. It's a very idealistic worldview. This is part of the SDA mindset of always selling the ideal.
How do you know my view on Adventism is limited? You know nothing about me. If this is how you judge people by making statements as if they are facts, when you know nothing about that person is enough information for me to know what's what.

Take care.

Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟181,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You might want to save this document. It is the fundamental beliefs of the Seventh-day Adventist church. Each belief statement has Scriptures following that are meant to support the statements.

21 Stewardship
We are God’s stewards, entrusted by Him with time and opportunities, abilities and possessions, and the blessings of the earth and its resources. We are responsible to Him for their proper use. We acknowledge God’s ownership by faithful service to Him and our fellow human beings, and by returning tithe and giving offerings for the proclamation of His gospel and the support and growth of His church. Stewardship is a privilege given to us by God for nurture in love and the victory over selfishness and covetousness. Stewards rejoice in the blessings that come to others as a result of their faithfulness. (Gen. 1:26-28; 2:15; 1 Chron. 29:14; Haggai 1:3-11; Mal. 3:8-12; Matt. 23:23; Rom. 15:26, 27; 1 Cor. 9:9-14; 2 Cor. 8:1-15; 9:7.)

22 Christian Behavior
We are called to be a godly people who think, feel, and act in harmony with biblical principles in all aspects of personal and social life. For the Spirit to recreate in us the character of our Lord we involve ourselves only in those things that will produce Christlike purity, health, and joy in our lives. This means that our amusement and entertainment should meet the highest standards of Christian taste and beauty. While recognizing cultural differences, our dress is to be simple, modest, and neat, befitting those whose true beauty does not consist of outward adornment but in the imperishable ornament of a gentle and quiet spirit. It also means that because our bodies are the temples of the Holy Spirit, we are to care for them intelligently. Along with adequate exercise and rest, we are to adopt the most healthful diet possible and abstain from the unclean foods identified in the Scriptures. Since alcoholic beverages, tobacco, and the irresponsible use of drugs and narcotics are harmful to our bodies, we are to abstain from them as well. Instead, we are to engage in whatever brings our thoughts and bodies into the discipline of Christ, who desires our wholesomeness, joy, and goodness. (Gen. 7:2; Exod. 20:15; Lev. 11:1-47; Ps. 106:3; Rom. 12:1, 2; 1 Cor. 6:19, 20; 10:31; 2 Cor. 6:14-7:1; 10:5; Eph. 5:1-21; Phil. 2:4; 4:8; 1 Tim. 2:9, 10; Titus 2:11, 12; 1 Peter 3:1-4; 1 John 2:6; 3 John 2.)
Thanks for the info! Now, the key issue... The passages in the law of Moses where those things are discussed, do SDA's say that those are commandments that are still in effect?

Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟181,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
this is a myth. The standard it not Clean/unclean. The standard is the Garden of Eden. The SDA health message was formulated at a time when health reform was a big idea in societ. Graham of Graham Craker fame, and Lister of Listerene mouthwash were amoung many of the people looking for new way to improve the health of people. The church saw the benefit of helping people with their health as a way to witness and to evanglize.
The SDA looked to the bible to find counsel on diet and health. that included the prefall diet, the post fall diet, the post flood diet and the Mosaic requirements. That is the basis of there health message. They promote the orignal diet in the garden of eden and the ideal Goal. we should try to live as close to that as possible.

when I was growing up it was preached on regularly and almost manditory. in NA it is still there but it depends who your pastor is.
Do you remember if they were referred to as commandments?

there are a lot of thing not in the offical beliefs that are offical. the prophetic interpretation is almost completly missing except for the 1844 date of daniel 8:14, but it is the foundation of being an SDA.
Fascinating! I spent some time in a Stone/Campbell Restorationist movement Church. They often go by the name Church of Christ, or Christian Church, or Disciples of Christ. They officially have no Creed. They very much have an unwritten creed :D

Thank you for the information :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟181,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
we talk about Heb 10:4-12 to discuss the laws regarding animals sacrifice and offerings - how about you?
I believe asked what word you use. That's a great passage! What word do you use to describe laws that are no longer in effect?

I use the word fulfilled. I believe Hebrews 10 is talking about the entire law casting a shadow, or possessing a shadow, being a shadow.

Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟181,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I asked you point blank if you accepted the Commandments of God - as He gave them in scripture.
Do you remember what your answer was?
You've asked me that many times. My standard answer is that I believe they are fulfilled, and we are to keep them in principle.

Have you changed your mind recently?
No, but thanks for asking :)

Do you mean by "do not keep them in letter?"
We do not have to keep them to the letter. In many cases, our actions will overlap with the letters.

Do you mean "Sabbath but not on the seventh day of the week?"
Do you mean "turn the Sabbath into your every day activity?"
No. Although, if the activities that you do every day are done in the name of the Lord, then they are God's work, and thus allowable on the Sabbath.

Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟181,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You seem to affirm my statement for what you are doing and then give your reason as to why you are doing it.
Sorry, ya lost me. Which of your statements are you referring to?

the same as what?

1. Same as those who affirm the continued Sabbath but edit it to point to week-day-1 after the cross. Affirming it was given to mankind in Eden as the 7th and not changed until the cross?
2. Same as deleting the Sabbath from the ten? Not claiming that any worship is being done in compliance with the Sabbath command since it is deleted, and never applied to all mankind.?
3. Same as having all ten nailed to the cross in Col 2??
None of the above. The actual practices of most devout Christians in most denominations are very similar.

Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟181,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I thought these questions were for Adventists, seems a lot of ex Adventists are answering, which is not the same.
Hi SB,
It's my understanding that the denomination specific theology section is open to everyone. Everyone asks, everyone answers. The key feature, as I understand it, is that specific denominations can be focused on.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟481,266.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Hi SB,
It's my understanding that the denomination specific theology section is open to everyone. Everyone asks, everyone answers. The key feature, as I understand it, is that specific denominations can be focused on.
I am referring to the OP...

The title of this thread is:

Questions for Adventists​

Reactions: Leaf473
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟181,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am referring to the OP...

The title of this thread is:

Questions for Adventists​

Sure, I could see why there would be a question in your mind.

But an ex-Adventist could easily chime in and give their views on how they would have answered when they were. Or what they've learned since then.

I feel drawn to witness to latter-day saints. I've been watching a lot of YouTube videos, and oftentimes the most interesting information comes from the ex-lds.

Anyways, several Adventists have answered questions here (or has it been only two?). I don't think the title or the OP was intended to limit who could answer :)

Upvote 0

Adventist Heretic

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2006
Parts Unknown
✟370,993.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Sure, I could see why there would be a question in your mind.

But an ex-Adventist could easily chime in and give their views on how they would have answered when they were. Or what they've learned since then.

I feel drawn to witness to latter-day saints. I've been watching a lot of YouTube videos, and oftentimes the most interesting information comes from the ex-lds.

Anyways, several Adventists have answered questions here (or has it been only two?). I don't think the title or the OP was intended to limit who could answer :)
i an not an ex-SDA. I still attend , I have never stopped attending.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Adventist Heretic

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2006
Parts Unknown
✟370,993.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I thought these questions were for Adventists, seems a lot of ex Adventists are answering, which is not the same.
I am not an ex-sda. i have never stopped going to the SDA church. That was something you made up.

• Informative
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

Adventist Heretic

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2006
Parts Unknown
✟370,993.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Do you remember if they were referred to as commandments?
They were not seen as commandments. like tall said it is natural law, it is the way God made it. like gravity, it is moral in that it will kill you, harm you or shorten your life to not follow them. it is spiritual in that you will not be representing God very good if you don't observe them any as an SDA the whole system is based on the belief that God is being missrepresented and you want to represent Him in the best way possible. I still agree with that premise and I think Adventism has the best frameworks for that. Althought I think there needs to be some adjustments.
Fascinating! I spent some time in a Stone/Campbell Restorationist movement Church. They often go by the name Church of Christ, or Christian Church, or Disciples of Christ. They officially have no Creed. They very much have an unwritten creed :D

Thank you for the information :)
there are social rule in the SDA chruch. the Prophey has come under attack in recent years. many in Adventism what to distance themselves from that prophetic history. They are embarrased by it. The failed predictions and all, Ellen White rolling around on the floor surrounded by people acting like animals. it is embarrassing. They want to focus on representing God properly and becoming the best disciples and reaching the fullest potential as human because of Christ.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟181,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
i an not an ex-SDA. I still attend , I have never stopped attending.
That's good to know, and thank you :)

I wasn't sure how many Adventists had answered questions in this thread so far, if it was two or more :heart:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Adventist Heretic

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2006
Parts Unknown
✟370,993.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That's good to know, and thank you :)

I wasn't sure how many Adventists had answered questions in this thread so far, if it was two or more :heart:
now alot of SDA's consider people like me not true SDA's and even Heritics.

Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟181,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They were not seen as commandments. like tall said it is natural law, it is the way God made it. like gravity, it is moral in that it will kill you, harm you or shorten your life to not follow them. it is spiritual in that you will not be representing God very good if you don't observe them any as an SDA the whole system is based on the belief that God is being missrepresented and you want to represent Him in the best way possible. I still agree with that premise and I think Adventism has the best frameworks for that. Althought I think there needs to be some adjustments.
Thanks for the input. If a person says they are commandments, the laws about food, are they misrepresenting SDA doctrine?

there are social rule in the SDA chruch. the Prophey has come under attack in recent years. many in Adventism what to distance themselves from that prophetic history. They are embarrased by it. The failed predictions and all, Ellen White rolling around on the floor surrounded by people acting like animals. it is embarrassing. They want to focus on representing God properly and becoming the best disciples and reaching the fullest potential as human because of Christ.
That's an interesting trend. If they distance themselves from Ellen White, I wonder how prophecy will be an "identifying mark" of the remnant Church.

Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟181,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
now alot of SDA's consider people like me not true SDA's and even Heritics.
Raising the question of what is a true SDA. If someone said that the true Sabbath to be observed starts at sunset in Jerusalem and is to be celebrated at the same time all around the world, would they be a true SDA?

Upvote 0

Adventist Heretic

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2006
Parts Unknown
✟370,993.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Raising the question of what is a true SDA. If someone said that the true Sabbath to be observed starts at sunset in Jerusalem and is to be celebrated at the same time all around the world, would they be a true SDA?
i know people who have had this conversation. and even tried this. they might be considered SDA but a fanatic.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Adventist Heretic

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2006
Parts Unknown
✟370,993.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Thanks for the input. If a person says they are commandments, the laws about food, are they misrepresenting SDA doctrine?
this is un clear please clarify
That's an interesting trend. If they distance themselves from Ellen White, I wonder how prophecy will be an "identifying mark" of the remnant Church.
I have had prophetic revelations myself, about my future, but I don't consider myself a prophet. that is the normal way we are to interact with God.

• Useful
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0