The Wild West
✟476,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
1. Please compare your denomination’s Christology with that of the Council of Chalcedon and the Council of Ephesus.

2. Do you agree that Jesus Christ is and has been since His conception by the Holy Spirit in the womb of the Virgin Mary fully God and fully Man, without change, confusion, separation or division?

3. What did Ellen G. White have to say about St. Mary?

4. Do Adventists still send their Middle-school aged children to Academy?

5. What pressures exist on Adventists, if any, who choose not to send their children to Academy?

6. What is the basis for Academy, e.g. why does it exist and what purpose does it serve?

7. Is Academy, like Adventist elementary schools, open to non-Adventists?

8. If it is wrong to worship on Sunday, why is it that some SDA parishes lease their churches out to other denominations on Sunday? For example, in Ventura, CA, the Syriac Orthodox Church and a Continuing Anglican Church both use the Adventist church.

Reactions: Leaf473

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,925.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
We believe in One God - in three persons. Co-eternal, co-equal in terms of their ontology, essence, being. fully God. Neither of them derives life from the other.
2. Do you agree that Jesus Christ is and has been since His conception by the Holy Spirit in the womb of the Virgin Mary fully God and fully Man, without change, confusion, separation or division?
He is the incarnate Son of God so then fully God and fully man as a human. He had no sinful nature bent towards evil but had the same physical weaknesses of other humans of his day. He got hungry, tired, thirsty just like other men.

Have you read the free online book "Desire of Ages"? Her commentary on the life of Christ?
Ellen White accepted the fact that Mary was a good person, who needed salvation and was not born sinless. Ellen White said that only Christ was sinless and many protestant groups affirm that same point.
some do some don't; Some Academy's are day schools and some are boarding Academies
5. What pressures exist on Adventists, if any, who choose not to send their children to Academy?
None. My parents sent me to a day Academy so basically it was private highschool
6. What is the basis for Academy, e.g. why does it exist and what purpose does it serve?
eductation
yes
8. If it is wrong to worship on Sunday,
It is right to worship every day of the week.

But it is not right to ignore God's commandments
why is it that some SDA parishes lease their churches out to other denominations on Sunday?
Churches I have attended have not that in a number of cases.

Usually the nonSDA group renting from an SDA church is not in a position to build their own church yet.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
We believe in One God - in three persons. Co-eternal, co-equal in terms of their ontology, essence, being. fully God. Neither of them derives life from the other.

In the Orthodox model the Father alone is unoriginate, while the Son and Holy Spirit are uncreated, the Son begotten of the Father before all ages, there never being a time when the Son did not exist, and the Holy Spirit likewise eternally proceeding from the Father, with the Son and Holy Spirit consubstantial with the Father, sharing His divine essence, all three being fully God. Each person of the Trinity has a distinct hypostasis associated with them, and in the case of the Son, his human nature and divine nature are in hypostatic union, and in Oriental Orthodoxy, are themselves also united, but in both Eastern Chalcedonian Orthodoxy and Oriental Miaphysite Orthodoxy, without change, confusion, division or separation. @prodromos can confirm what I said about Eastern Orthodoxy and @dzheremi can confirm what I said about Oriental Orthodoxy, although both might object to my grouping the two together, but I guess I am so moved by the close relationship of the Syriac Orthodox and Antiochian Orthodox, and the relationship between the Copts, the Alexandrian Greeks, and the monks of St. Catharine’s Monastery in Sinai, that I hope that full ecumenical reconciliation can happen, since both churches sing the same Christological hymn “Ho Monogenes.”

Now, to what extent does SDA theology agree or disagree with the above?

He is the incarnate Son of God so then fully God and fully man as a human. He had no sinful nature bent towards evil but had the same physical weaknesses of other humans of his day. He got hungry, tired, thirsty just like other men.

So to be clear, as a human, after his birth from the Virgin Mary, our Lord remained fully God throughout His ministry while having put on humanity, according to the SDA church?

Have you read the free online book "Desire of Ages"? Her commentary on the life of Christ?

I recently received an inheritance and purchased several theological books which I need to read, including the Cambridge Companion to Orthodox Christian Theology (with contributions from Orthodox scholars such as His Eminence Metropolitan Hilarion Alfeyev, who prior to the Ukrainian tragedy which prompted his resignation was director of of the Department of External Church Relations of the Moscow Patriarchate, and who remains Metropolitan of the Russian Orthodox Church in Hungary, a predominantly Catholic country, and who is also an incredibly talented composer, the Oxford Guide to Early Christian Apocrypha, the Oxford Guide to Quaker Studies, How to Live a Holy Life by Gregory Postnikov, a biography of St. Herman of Alaska, an English translation of the Romanian version of the Philokalia, The Cambridge Companion to Sufisim, the Oxford Handbook of Mystical Theology, the Oxford Handbook of Sacramental Theology, the Oxford Handbook of Systematic Theology, the Oxford Handbook of Christian Art and Architecture, and several other volumes, plus several books on aviation, railways and transit including some rare early editions of Jane’s World Railways and Jane’s Urban Transport Systems (when new, in the 1990s, these cost like $400 a pop but now run at $2,000 or more for the latest editions). So alas I don’t have time to read any more Ellen G. White, but I have no doubt that you and @Leaf473 can summarize these for me.

Ellen White accepted the fact that Mary was a good person, who needed salvation and was not born sinless. Ellen White said that only Christ was sinless and many protestant groups affirm that same point.

Did she express an opinion on whether or not the Blessed Virgin Mary was, as asserted by John Calvin, Martin Luther, Thomas Cranmer and John Wesley, and all the early church fathers, that she was a perpetual virgin, and did she express an opinion on whether or not St. Mary was the Theotokos as asserted by both the Third Ecumenical Council at Ephesus in 433 AD and the Council of Chalcedon in 451 AD?

Also, how does Adventist theology differ, if it differs at all, from the Christology and Mariology of the Council of Ephesus or the Chalcedonian Christology and Mariology adhered to by the Roman Catholics, Eastern Orthodox and most Protestants? And how does it differ from the Christology and Mariology of Nestorius and the Church of the East before and after the reforms implemented by Mar Babai the Great in the early sixth century?

some do some don't; Some Academy's are day schools and some are boarding Academies

None. My parents sent me to a day Academy so basically it was private highschool

eductation

yes

Very good. I am curious, @Leaf473 what are your feelings on the Academy system?

It is right to worship every day of the week.

But it is not right to ignore God's commandments

So why then object to churches which make a point of worshipping on both Saturday and Sunday, such as the Coptic Orthodox Church, the Ethiopian Orthodox Church, the Roman Catholic Church, the Assyrian Church of the East, the Ancient Church of the East, and the other Eastern Orthodox and Oriental Orthodox churches? These churches worship on Saturday and Sunday, indeed every Roman Catholic church I know of has masses on Saturday, because Roman Catholic priests are required to celebrate the Mass daily, as well as the Divine Office, and in the Eastern Orthodox and Oriental Orthodox churches the Saturday services are particularly vital, and as @Michie recently pointed out, the Sabbath remains the Sabbath. Since the Sabbath is the day of rest, it is particularly heavily used in the Orthodox churches for services commemorating those Christians who have reposed in the Lord, known as Soul Saturdays, in Lent and at other times, and also the Theotokos, and on Holy Saturday, the Great Sabbath in which God Himself rested in a tomb after his saving passion and glorious resurrection? No commandments are being violated, since the Sabbath is being honored and kept holy.

It seems to me the criticism of these churches is unfounded, and the main reason why the Roman Catholics are criticized is because of Ellen White’s unwarranted and historically inaccurate criticism of them in The Great Controversy.

Churches I have attended have not that in a number of cases.

Usually the nonSDA group renting from an SDA church is not in a position to build their own church yet.

So why is a particular SDA church whose ministers welcomed a continuing Anglican church for 30 years, now under the new ministers who took over post-Covid, treating the Anglicans like dirt and refusing to allow them to use the chapel on Saturdays at a time when the Adventists do not use it, effectively forcing the Anglicans to break the Sabbath Commandment according to the SDA interpretation of it, and furthermore have restricted the Anglican church to meeting once a week, and are likely to turn up the heat on the Syriac Orthodox congregation that the Anglican church arranged to also be housed there, which meets at noon weekly after the Anglican congregation used to meet at 10:30 weekly, before being cut back to one Sunday a month? Its not like there is anyone else trying to obtain that space on Sunday.

By the way, if you or another Adventist were able to mediate that dispute, which I only found out about last week, and restore the friendly relations that used to exist between the Anglicans and their SDA hosts under the previous pastor, and get the Anglicans their weekly worship back, and a slot for Evensong on Saturday, and likewise ensure the same is available for the Syriac Orthodox, and also slots for both churches on Wednesday and Friday, I would be grateful and furthermore my opinion of the SDA church would be improved to the point where I would be inclined to defend it as much as I defend the Roman Catholic church.

Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟181,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So alas I don’t have time to read any more Ellen G. White, but I have no doubt that you and @Leaf473 can summarize these for me.
Thanks for the mention :)

Actually, I haven't read much of Ellen White's writings. Back in the 1990s a co-worker lent me three large volumes which were The Great Controversy and other works, maybe? Or maybe the great controversy is just that large?

Anyway, I started reading it, and there seemed to be a lot of focus on Satan. I thought maybe that was just the section I was looking at, so I skipped around. But everywhere I skipped to, more talk about Satan.

I didn't want that to be my focus, so I returned the books to her. She was disappointed, but she did buy me some really tasty vegetarian hot dogs at the little store attached to the SDA Church building.

And that's basically my impression of Ellen's writings :D

Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟181,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
8. If it is wrong to worship on Sunday, why is it that some SDA parishes lease their churches out to other denominations on Sunday? For example, in Ventura, CA, the Syriac Orthodox Church and a Continuing Anglican Church both use the Adventist church.
Fascinating! I briefly attended a Messianic Jewish synagogue that met on Saturday and shared space with a Vineyard-style grassroots church. One great memory I have from there is doing what I think was Jewish style circular worship dance. Not everyone participated, just a group of us in the back. But it was amazing how much more meaningful praise music becomes when your body is involved!

• Agree
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
@BobRyan I do rather wish you or @SabbathBlessings would answer the questions in post 3, and also summarize for me the EGW book you referenced, since Leaf473 has not read it. Also, I have one additional question of great importance, and that is, how are SDA efforts against gay marriage, transsexual propaganda directed towards children, abortion and euthanasia structured, and does the SDA oppose birth control like the Catholics and traditional Orthodox and Protestants?

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
@BobRyan I do rather wish you or @SabbathBlessings would answer the questions in post 3, and also summarize for me the EGW book you referenced, since Leaf473 has not read it. Also, I have one additional question of great importance, and that is, how are SDA efforts against gay marriage, transsexual propaganda directed towards children, abortion and euthanasia structured, and does the SDA oppose birth control like the Catholics and traditional Orthodox and Protestants?
I'm not the best person to ask about what EGW thinks of Mary as I have not read her books, reading my first one now but you can do a search yourself English — Ellen G. White Writings Mary is highly regarded, but she was a human-being and mother to Jesus on earth, she sinned like we are told all humans have but I imagine she will be saved as there is no indication otherwise.

Regarding birth control, there is nothing morally wrong preventing pregnancy, it would be irresponsible to have children that one cannot afford or to take care of, that is morally wrong. It would be morally wrong to do harm to a child once conceived.

Regarding gay marriage and the other things you indicated are all sin. Sin is sin and should not be put in a special box away from other sins like lying or stealing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,925.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
BobRyan said:

In the Orthodox model the Father alone is unoriginate,
then we differ.
, there never being a time when the Son did not exist
Then you appear to have a conflicted statement because you distinguish between father and son - yet say the Father alone did not originate.
the Son and Holy Spirit consubstantial with the Father, sharing His divine essence
Agreed if by that you mean ontology as in "humans are of the same substance"
after his birth from the Virgin Mary, our Lord remained fully God throughout His ministry while having put on humanity
True. He is the incarnate Son of God as the Son of Man.
alas I don’t have time to read any more Ellen G. White, but I have no doubt that you and @Leaf473 can summarize these for me.
To my knowledge Leaf never claimed to be SDA or to have read Ellen White's "Conflict of the Ages" series of books. He can confirm or deny that.
Did she express an opinion on whether or not the Blessed Virgin Mary was ... a perpetual virgin
I don't think so. But I seriously doubt that she believed that - since no Bible text teaches it.

What we do have is an indication from Christ on the cross that He had no brothers that were the children of Mary since He gives Mary over to His disciple - John. That still leaves the possibility of daughters and says nothing about Joseph keeping Mary as a virgin until the day he dies.
, and did she express an opinion on whether or not St. Mary was the Theotokos
She was Jesus' mother. But We never call Mary "wiser than God", "teacher of God" , "protector of God" and we don't give Joseph those titles either because it tends to conflate procreation with re-incarnation.
Very good. I am curious, @Leaf473 what are your feelings on the Academy system?
IT is a private Christian school system that works pretty good and it does not matter if it is a day Academy or a boarding Academy - benefits can be found in it.
So why then object to churches which make a point of worshipping on both Saturday and Sunday
The issue in the Ten Commandments is not "did you worship for an hour or two each day of the week", the issue in the Sabbath commandment is did you "keep the entire day holy, sanctified, set apart for worship and not mixed with secular work/activity" as we see is the instruction in scripture like Ex 20:8-11, Is 58:13 - and Lev 23:3 a "day for holy convocation"
These churches worship on Saturday and Sunday, indeed every Roman Catholic church I know of has masses on Saturday
Churches can have a worship service on any day the wish... the question is "a Sabbath" day kept holy, sanctified , set apart. inline with the Sabbath Commandment found in scripture.
as @Michie recently pointed out, the Sabbath remains the Sabbath.
The Catholic document "The Faith Explained" points out the edit that was made to re-point the Sabbath day to week-day-1.

The Catholic Commentary on the Baltimore Catechism post Vatican II - argues the SAME two points.
1965 -- first published 1959
(from "The Faith Explained" by Leo Trese page 243

"we know that in the O.T it was the seventh day of the week - the Sabbath day- which was observed as the Lord's day. that was the law as God gave it...'remember to keep holy the Sabbath day.. the early Christian church determined as the Lord's day the first day of the week. That the church had the right to make such a law is evident...​
"The reason for changing the Lord's day from Saturday to Sunday lies in the fact that to the Christian church the first day of the week had been made double holy...​
"nothing is said in the bible about the change of the Lord's day from Saturday to Sunday..that is why we find so illogical the attitude of many non-Catholic who say they will believe nothing unless they can find it in the bible and yet will continue to keep Sunday as the Lord's day on the say-so of the Catholic church"

Your claim is that they are saying "we have ADDED a week-day-1 day of worship to the unchanged-still-7th day Sabbath"
But they claim they are saying that they replaced the 7th day worship practice for an entire day set aside, sanctified for holy use including worship-- such that the Sabbath obligation is now fully met by the Sunday service.

No commandments are being violated, since the Sabbath is being honored and kept holy.
Actually if that were the case I don't think we would have much to object to.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,925.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Convert's Catechism

Full text of "The convert's catechism of Catholic doctrine"

3. The Third Commandment.
Q. What is the Third Commandment?
A. The Third Commandment is: Remember that thou keep holy the Sabbath day.

Q. Which is the Sabbath day ?
A. Saturday is the Sabbath day.

Q. Why do we observe Sunday instead of Saturday ?
A. We observe Sunday instead of Saturday because the Catholic Church, in the Council of Laodicea (A.D. 336), transferred the solemnity from Saturday to Sunday.

Q. Why did the Catholic Church substitute Sunday for Saturday?
A. The Church substituted Sunday for Saturday, because Christ rose from the dead on a Sunday, and the Holy Ghost descended upon the Apostles on a Sunday.

Q. By what authority did the Church substitute Sunday for Saturday
A. The Church substituted Sunday for Saturday by the plenitude of that divine power which Jesus Christ bestowed upon her.

Q. What does the Third Commandment command?
A. The Third Commandment commands us to sanctify Sunday as the Lord's Day.

• Informative
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,925.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The above - does not mean we object to all teachings found in the Catholic Church -

For example we find a lot of agreement on this part --

=========================

Dies Domini pt 13 -
"the Sabbath ...is therefore rooted in the depths of God's plan. This is why unlike many other laws - it is not within the context of strictly cultic (Jewish) stipulations but within the Decalogue the "ten words" which represent the very pillars of moral life inscribed on the human heart!! In setting this commandment within the context of the basic structure of ethics, Israel and then the church declare that they consider it not just a matter of community religious discipline but a defining and indelible expression of our relationship to God, announced and expounded by biblical revelations.

CCC -- Catholic Catechism

2056 The word "Decalogue" means literally "ten words."11 God revealed these "ten words" to his people on the holy mountain. They were written "with the finger of God,"12 unlike the other commandments written by Moses.13 They are pre-eminently the words of God. They are handed on to us in the books of Exodus 14 and Deuteronomy.15 Beginning with the Old Testament, the sacred books refer to the "ten words,"16 but it is in the New Covenant in Jesus Christ that their full meaning will be revealed.

2072 Since they express man's fundamental duties towards God and towards his neighbor, the Ten Commandments reveal, in their primordial content, grave obligations.They are fundamentally immutable, and they oblige always and everywhere. No one can dispense from them. the Ten Commandments are engraved by God in the human heart.

2063.... the words of the Decalogue remain likewise for us Christians. Far from being abolished, they have received amplification and development from the fact of the coming of the Lord in the flesh.26

2068 The Council of Trent teaches that the Ten Commandments are obligatory for Christians and that the justified man is still bound to keep them; 28 The Second Vatican Council confirms: "The bishops, successors of the apostles, receive from the Lord . . . the mission of teaching all peoples, and of preaching the Gospel to every creature, so that all men may attain salvation through faith, Baptism and the observance of the Commandments."29

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,925.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
So why is a particular SDA church whose ministers welcomed a continuing Anglican church for 30 years, now under the new ministers who took over post-Covid, treating the Anglicans like dirt and refusing to allow them to use the chapel on Saturdays at a time when the Adventists do not use it, effectively forcing the Anglicans to break the Sabbath Commandment according to the SDA interpretation of it, and furthermore have restricted the Anglican church to meeting once a week, and are likely to turn up the heat on the Syriac Orthodox congregation that the Anglican church arranged to also be housed there, which meets at noon weekly after the Anglican congregation used to meet at 10:30 weekly, before being cut back to one Sunday a month? Its not like there is anyone else trying to obtain that space on Sunday.
Local Adventist congregations have a certain level of autonomy and typically the organization above them (their Conference officers) does not tell a congregation that it can or cannot rent its facilities to another church. So I don't have any specifics for the single case above except to say that it is not a denomination level policy other than giving local congregations autonomy on what churches they rent to.
By the way, if you or another Adventist were able to mediate that dispute, which I only found out about last week, and restore the friendly relations that used to exist between the Anglicans and their SDA hosts under the previous pastor, and get the Anglicans their weekly worship back, and a slot for Evensong on Saturday, and likewise ensure the same is available for the Syriac Orthodox, and also slots for both churches on Wednesday and Friday, I would be grateful and furthermore my opinion of the SDA church would be improved to the point where I would be inclined to defend it as much as I defend the Roman Catholic church.
I am happy to help but given that even the SDA organization above the level of that local congregation has left the choice of renting out the facilities up to each local congregation -- I don't see a lot of room for outside influence on that particular congregation.

Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟181,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Dies Domini pt 13 -
"the Sabbath ...is therefore rooted in the depths of God's plan.
Here's the full sentence, for anyone who's interested :)
13. The Sabbath precept, which in the first Covenant prepares for the Sunday of the new and eternal Covenant, is therefore rooted in the depths of God's plan.

Upvote 0

Richard.20.12

Dec 13, 2020
Vancouver
✟39,189.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
1. Please compare your denomination’s Christology with that of the Council of Chalcedon and the Council of Ephesus.

"What did Ellen G. White have to say about St. Mary?"
Where in the Bible is she deemed a saint? She is barely mentioned after she gives birth!
At the marriage at Cana they ran out of wine. John 2:3
"And when the wine failed, the mother of Jesus saith unto him, They have no wine. And Jesus saith to her, Woman, what have I to do with thee?"
That doesn't exactly sound like someone addressing a saint, does it?
She is also mentioned at the crucifixion. But the first person Jesus showed himself to wasn't Mary His mother. It was Mary Magdalene. Interesting. Catholics have no answers for these clear anomalies.
She was blessed among women. She was obedient and true. For that she is highly respected. But that seems to be it. And to pray to her? True insanity. Show me anything in the New Testament that tells us to pray to Mary. When will Catholics get back to the Bible? It's better there.

Upvote 0

Richard.20.12

Dec 13, 2020
Vancouver
✟39,189.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Here's the full sentence, for anyone who's interested :)
13. The Sabbath precept, which in the first Covenant prepares for the Sunday of the new and eternal Covenant, is therefore rooted in the depths of God's plan.
Who cares what some person wrote? What's important is what God commands. And the Bible is very clear on that. The Sabbath is referred to from Genesis to Revelation. Who cares what the Vatican says? It's highly likely Peter didn't even go to Rome! How's that for irony!?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

pasifika

Apr 1, 2019
Waikato
✟163,816.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for the mention :)

Actually, I haven't read much of Ellen White's writings. Back in the 1990s a co-worker lent me three large volumes which were The Great Controversy and other works, maybe? Or maybe the great controversy is just that large?

Anyway, I started reading it, and there seemed to be a lot of focus on Satan. I thought maybe that was just the section I was looking at, so I skipped around. But everywhere I skipped to, more talk about Satan.

I didn't want that to be my focus, so I returned the books to her. She was disappointed, but she did buy me some really tasty vegetarian hot dogs at the little store attached to the SDA Church building.

And that's basically my impression of Ellen's writings :D
Yes, they focus more on Sin instead of Christ.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
  • Friendly
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
"What did Ellen G. White have to say about St. Mary?"
Where in the Bible is she deemed a saint? She is barely mentioned after she gives birth!
At the marriage at Cana they ran out of wine. John 2:3
"And when the wine failed, the mother of Jesus saith unto him, They have no wine. And Jesus saith to her, Woman, what have I to do with thee?"
That doesn't exactly sound like someone addressing a saint, does it?
She is also mentioned at the crucifixion. But the first person Jesus showed himself to wasn't Mary His mother. It was Mary Magdalene. Interesting. Catholics have no answers for these clear anomalies.
She was blessed among women. She was obedient and true. For that she is highly respected. But that seems to be it. And to pray to her? True insanity. Show me anything in the New Testament that tells us to pray to Mary. When will Catholics get back to the Bible? It's better there.

Firstly, while some traditions do include the Theotokos among the Myrhhbearers, given that she had been made the adoptive mother of St. John the Beloved Disciple, who would have been at least as distraught and owing to his youth (I think he could have been as young as 15 when our Lord was crucified, possibly younger if the Bar Mitzvah tradition was not then what it is now, which is often the case when comparing Second Temple Judaism with Rabinnical Judaism; the two really are radically different, with as much variation between them as exists between, say, Zen Buddhism and Theravada Buddhism, or between the pure Vedic Hinduism observed by a small minority of Pandits, and the populist sects devoted towards avatars of Vishnu such as Krishna, when one factors in the codification of Zealot practices and the emergence of Kabbalah and Chasidic Judaism, with its focus on ecstatic meditation; I would note that Ethiopian Judaism as practiced by the Beta Israel, as well as the Samaritan religion, are much closer to Second Temple Judaism).

Secondly, the word Woman is considered a term of respect, both in 1st century Judaea and in 16th century England; if one were to do a dynamic equivalence translation in the late 19th century I think the word Madame would have been used there. It was only later when referring to a woman as “Woman” took on derogatory connotations. Our Lord in the passage from St. John you refer to, which is the only one in which St. Mary Magdalene is unaccompanied, refers to her as “Woman” as well, and clearly it is used in that context as a term of endearment.

This also ties in with your question as to New Testament texts that lead to seeking the intercession of the Theotokos, which it must be stressed is not worship. There was distress at the wedding party that they were short on wine, and Our Lady requested Christ our True God to fix the problem, and commanded the servants to follow His instructions (this is what she also does with us - calls on us to obey her Son, our God, that we may be redeemed). Our Lord, despite some apparent misgivings, did turn the water into wine at her request.

Finally, while I daresay Catholics have never left the Bible and observe it with great reverence, it is worth noting that of the people in this thread who have criticized the SDA denomination, not one of them is a Roman Catholic. Indeed I am a member of a denomination that it appears Ellen G. White was totally unaware of, for significant parts of The Great Controversy fail to make logical sense when one considers the Eastern Orthodox and Oriental Orthodox churches, and the Church of the East, three denominations all of which operated completely outside Roman control, in the case of the Oriental Orthodox and the Church of the East not even being in communion with the Roman church from the mid 5th century (the Romans excommunicated the Eastern Orthodox for essentially refusing to accept Papal Supremacy in 1054 AD, and later subjected Eastern Christians to violence up to and including cannibalism during the Crusades, and the Fourth Crusade was just a political ploy by Venice to take out the Byzantine Empire).

• Informative
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
BobRyan said:

Then you appear to have a conflicted statement because you distinguish between father and son - yet say the Father alone did not originate.

This is an unexpected problem with your Triadology. Are you saying that Adventists deny that Jesus Christ was begotten of the Father before all ages, and that Adventists deny the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father?

• Useful
Reactions: trophy33
Upvote 0