Are we allowed to criticize Orthodox Churches on allegations of political corruption?

• Yes

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

TheLostCoin

A Lonesome Coin
Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2016
Ohio
✟234,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ,
My name is Matt, and right now I am a Catholic (born and raised) who is considering the possibility of converting to the (Eastern) Orthodox faith.
However, even though the answer may be "it isn't relevant", I can't help but bring up a question regarding the Eastern Orthodox Churches - specifically the Russian Orthodox Church.
For those who are aware of international affairs, the government of Russia (although better than the Soviet Union in terms of rights) has increasingly become more and more authoritarian, and just recently, in July, passed a law which, for all intensive purposes, prohibits conversion to any other Christian denomination that isn't Orthodox (i.e., Evangelism has deemed illegal).
And it seems that the Russian Orthodox Church has not only silently nodded their heads in encouragement towards this law (which I deem as immoral, which I will get into later), but it seems that several aspects of Russian society seemingly have been seized by the Orthodox Church, in ways that I disagree with (for instance, banning swearing in media, banning anything critical of the Church, etc.)

Maybe it is because I am American, but I am a very strong believer in the separation of Church and State (which, in my mind, is not equivalent to removing the word "God" from government buildings, or banning religion in public areas). I believe in this for two reasons:

1. The relationship between one of God's children and God Himself should not have government intervention, as Jesus stated Himself: "Give unto Caesar what is Caesar's and give unto God what is God's." People need to be open to other beliefs pertaining to God, and challenge their beliefs in order to have a deeper understanding of their own faith, or better yet, finding a more truthful faith. In societal conformity to religion, especially by force of government, people are apathetic to learning deeper truths and establishing a relationship with God, and just passively accepting their faith as purely cultural rather than a true belief. The needs of society tend to outweigh the needs of God.

2. The more obvious answer, that when a government becomes theocratic, the government will be able to more easily commit atrocities in the name of God (not that I am saying religion in of itself leads to war or genocide, but it can be used as one of the many excuses for such). It may also leads to suppression of God's children of other faiths (as shown here; other Christian brothers and sisters are now being persecuted). And finally, as Jesus stated the Golden Rule "Do to others what you want them to do to you...", we should respect other faiths much like we expect other faiths to treat us; we never do respect the idea of the persecution of Christians which is going on in even the most secular Middle Eastern countries (e.g., ISIS, the Turkish government's and societal treatment of Orthodox Christians in Istanbul).

Now, of course, these beliefs have a possibility of bringing in conflict in my future possible faith (which is interested in the OCA, which was a Russian Orthodox affiliated denomination that is now autocephalic). It seems like a great start that I am interested in a religion and am already concerned about potential corruption and moral depravity in one of the in-communion Churches, to a degree that Luther was!

I was wondering if these political beliefs would possibly be a hindrance to my potential faith; to what degree do the Orthodox Churches prohibit political beliefs and ideologies such as these, and to what degree do the Orthodox Churches prohibit criticism of the Churches in terms of corruption or moral wrongs committed (not doctrine, but political actions)?
I of course, mean by prohibit, as "view sinful."

I mean, the Catholic Church was once very intolerant of hostile opinions and allegations of corruption to the Church, but now are seemingly more open to different beliefs that don't violate fundamental morals. The Catholic Church, although still corrupt to a degree (i.e., the child-abuse cover ups), acknowledges it does not have a squeaky clean history and realizes / allows allegations of corruption and wrong doing.

Is there a variety of political opinions in the Churches across the world, or do they mandate to follow a specific political opinion that is viewed as correct or Christlike?
I mean, the Russian Orthodox Church prevented a separate Ukrainian Orthodox Church to come in communion (due to the obvious Ukraine conflict), and this was accepted by the other major Orthodox Churches. I'm concerned that the Orthodox Church - having a massive Russian influence - may view such beliefs and criticisms of the Russian Orthodox Church as sinful, and, if one day comes where I am vocal enough, or the Church becomes too corrupt, that I may be excommunicated from the Orthodox Faith.

God bless you.
-Matt

e572428b15a9ba55d4bbc53dd293c305.jpg

St. Michael, my Confirmation Saint, pray for us.

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hello Matt, and welcome to CF, and to TAW!

You raise some interesting questions, many of which others can give you better answers for. But in the few years I have been involved in the Orthodox Church, I have found that, to the contrary, it is expected that the laity, the monks, priests, other bishops - indeed any Orthodox, has something of a responsibility to preserve the faith, and that includes right behavior. But on the other hand, there is a hierarchy in place to deal with things, and sometimes that is the place.

Anyway, the short answer is that no, a person wouldn't be excommunicated for speaking out about real corruption. Hopefully the hierarchy would handle things on such a large scale though. And to be honest, I think it is better for the average layman to focus on things in front of him, his own spiritual progress, his own parish. If there is a time and place to speak out, so be it. But as I said, hopefully the hierarchy would deal with real problems on a large scale.

I'm a little curious about some of your concerns. :) Not so many years ago, swear words would not have been on TV in the US either. Or even words that might be a bit unsavory, like non-swear words that talk about bodily functions. I don't see that as such a bad thing that one would schism from the Church over. :)

And I'm not really commenting on Putin or the Russian government, btw. I know more about Russia's history under the recent Tsar and the Bolshevicks than I really know about Putin's Russia, and none of those very much. But Greece has been for many centuries Church + State, and that not such a bad thing. You're right that it CAN be, and has been at times though.

Mostly I wanted to welcome you to TAW and to CF though, and I hope you find the answers you're looking for. Stick around, and feel free to ask any other questions you might have too. :)

Upvote 0

Constantine the Sinner

Aug 11, 2016
United States
✟31,259.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Russia doesn't ban converting religions, just evangelism of non-Orthodox Christianity. You might understand this more knowing that after the USSR fell, a bunch of Protestants and Catholics swooped in like vultures trying to foment apostasy, all this while the Orthodox Church was struggling to get back on her feet after being oppressed for so long.

I don't really see why you object to swearing in the media being banned. It's not banned in books or private records or things like that in Russia, it's just banned on TV and public concerts and the like.

The push for a Ukrainian Church came from Ukrainian Parliament, there was no census of the faithful or the clergy on it, and they never bothered to check for one, they just applied directly to the Ecumenical Patriarch (who said no), but they did it anyway. Please, whatever your politics are, don't swallow what Western media says uncritically anymore than you would with Russian media.

There is no political mandate in Orthodoxy, because Christ didn't preach politics, he preached spirituality.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Constantine the Sinner

Aug 11, 2016
United States
✟31,259.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Reactions: ZaidaBoBaida
Upvote 0

Constantine the Sinner

Aug 11, 2016
United States
✟31,259.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
1. You're not sorry, don't play that game.
2. This isn't about parades, it's about people violently attacking others.
I'm not sure how that's a critique of the state. That's more a critique of Russian culture.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟118,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Could you elaborate?
Let's put it like this - this paragraph really says it all:

In the case of Russia’s treatment of its LGBT citizens, this does not even involve engaging the Church’s teachings and history regarding homosexuality, same-sex relationships or marriage. It involves defending the Church’s ancient teachings regarding human dignity, compassion and agape. It demands declaring in no uncertain terms that “violent Orthodox mobs” (as those who attack LGBT activists in Russia are routinely described) are irreconcilable to the heart of Orthodoxy. It requires an unconditional affirmation that anyone who would join a violent mob, for any reason, has estranged himself from the Bride of Christ.
Surely we can agree on that much.

Upvote 0

ZaidaBoBaida

When do I stop being a Newbie?
Jul 17, 2012
Right Here
✟50,881.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Several years ago members of the band [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] Riot entered an Orthodox Church and performed disgusting and lewd acts in front of the altar effectively desecrating the church. All we heard in the Western media was how brave these women were for standing up for LGBT against the evil and intolerant Orthodox and how they were being persecuted because they were prosecuted for desecrating the church. i don't know that I believe that there's roving gangs of Orthodox fanatics going around randomly beating up homosexuals, or if it's just a case of the western media objecting to them refusing to kiss the LGBT collective [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] and being willing to stand up for themselves. If someone did in my church what [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] Riot did - if have no problem dragging them out by the hair and then beating their butts.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟118,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Sure, [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] Riot is bad, this isn't about [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] Riot. I'll stand with you in disapproving of [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] Riot, but I'm not going to use them to excuse bad behavior on our part.

Upvote 0

ZaidaBoBaida

When do I stop being a Newbie?
Jul 17, 2012
Right Here
✟50,881.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Sure, [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] Riot is bad, this isn't about [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] Riot. I'll stand with you in disapproving of [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] Riot, but I'm not going to use them to excuse bad behavior on our part.

My point is that I don't trust what the Western media is reporting.

Upvote 0

Constantine the Sinner

Aug 11, 2016
United States
✟31,259.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Let's put it like this - this paragraph really says it all:

Surely we can agree on that much.
In general population prison (as opposed to prison populations segregated from the others for various reasons), in the United States--today--homosexuality will get you stabbed; if it's consensual, both parties get stabbed. Do you think this is motivated by religious sentiment? I don't. Judging by Russia's abortion rates, I don't really think their anti-gay sentiment (something like 95% of the population is against gay marriage) has a lot to do with religious motivations.

I think, while the Russian Church has problems, they are nonetheless exemplary in certain respects. For instance, they are extremely vocal regarding abortion, more so than the Orthodox in America, and frankly it is abortion which is the most serious epidemic of violence in the world (and since Russia has the highest abortion rates in the world, that goes to show you that Russia as a people, and their actions, can hardly be equated with or blamed on the Russian Church).

Upvote 0