Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yet again I have questions, so thank you all for your patience with my ignorance.

I have recently received some icons, and the local priest has graciously agreed to bless them, so I need to take them to the Church.

A few months ago, I saw a (maybe non-Orthodox, I don’t remember) priest gently chastised on Facebook for not showing enough care and respect for an icon in the car with him.

Is there any particular protocol or care I should take with these icons (I have five of them) in transporting them to the Church to be blessed?

Again, thanking you for any responses. Being a non-Orthodox guest, I like to try to show respect to my hosts when I visit.

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,297,763.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I've carried a few in my time - some in a case when travelling [ case never leaves me] and some just in a small bag when heading to Church.

My usual method is to wrap each Icon separately in tissue paper [ protecting the surface ] and then in Bubble wrap. If I'm carrying more than one I will either put them in the centre of a case - making sure each icon is well protected and not in contact with the other one. If they are in a bag going to Church - again tissue paper first - then Bubble Wrap and then in a small carrier bag/ brief case making sure that there is nothing which could come in contact with them and cause damage.

Does that help ?

Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I've carried a few in my time - some in a case when travelling [ case never leaves me] and some just in a small bag when heading to Church.

My usual method is to wrap each Icon separately in tissue paper [ protecting the surface ] and then in Bubble wrap. If I'm carrying more than one I will either put them in the centre of a case - making sure each icon is well protected and not in contact with the other one. If they are in a bag going to Church - again tissue paper first - then Bubble Wrap and then in a small carrier bag/ brief case making sure that there is nothing which could come in contact with them and cause damage.

Does that help ?

Yes, that is very helpful, @Anhelyna . Thank you for the reply.

Icons are meant to be used and well-loved, not put up on a pedestal and never touched.

Thank you for the reply @FireDragon76 . Yes, I do intend to use them, but wish to show due respect during transport and avoid damage to them.

when transporting them in a car, if I can't safely prop them up I try to make sure there is some barrier that they are on so they don't touch where we sit, and never on the floor.

Thank you, Father @ArmyMatt . That is helpful.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I sometimes have wrapped them in tissue paper and bubble wrap, or in a clean cloth. I might put them in a carrying bag or box, but like Matt said, I don't want to lie them on the seat or put them on the floor, and I don't put them face down either (unless I've packed more than one together face to face because they were better protected that way), and so on. I wouldn't toss one casually on the dash either (might slide off) ... but I have some mini icons that stay in my car mounted on the dash.

• Informative
Reactions: “Paisios”
Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I sometimes have wrapped them in tissue paper and bubble wrap, or in a clean cloth. I might put them in a carrying bag or box, but like Matt said, I don't want to lie them on the seat or put them on the floor, and I don't put them face down either (unless I've packed more than one together face to face because they were better protected that way), and so on. I wouldn't toss one casually on the dash either (might slide off) ... but I have some mini icons that stay in my car mounted on the dash.
Thank you for taking the time to respond. I am always grateful for your graciousness.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for taking the time to respond. I am always grateful for your graciousness.
You're welcome. I'm glad it made sense - I'm a bit rushed today and normally I try to be more careful in general. :)

Reactions: “Paisios”
Upvote 0