Visit site
✟393,562.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm guessing you're asking about these ?
http://christianforums.com/showthread.php?t=710987

I agree, quite a few of these "rules" fail to take notice of Fair use, and such.
Example If I have a Family DVD made from a DVD Camcorder (Quite Common Now), am I not allowed to ask how to Rip / Convert it from DVD to AVI so I can store it on my Zune ?
(Even Converting Legally Owned Movies for my zune is Legal)

P2P Applications are quite Legal also.
Modding Personally owned Hardware is also Legal.
Voiding a Warranty Is Legal, and Not Breaking the law. :sigh:

But as given in the Last line, the "Staff" will decide if your post is valid or not (No Idea how they decide it though :confused: )

Upvote 0

Qyöt27

AMV Editor At Large
Apr 2, 2004
St. Petersburg, Florida
✟81,859.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I agree, quite a few of these "rules" fail to take notice of Fair use, and such.
Example If I have a Family DVD made from a DVD Camcorder (Quite Common Now), am I not allowed to ask how to Rip / Convert it from DVD to AVI so I can store it on my Zune ?
(Even Converting Legally Owned Movies for my zune is Legal)
Well, that depends on how stringently one interprets the DMCA. It does have a section which specifies it is illegal to circumvent DRM except in the interests of inter-operability, although such things have never been rigorously tested in court. Same with what 'fair use' entails.

Even without circumventing DRM, if you look on the back of practically any DVD or Audio CD, it has a warning which specifies 'Unauthorized copying, [etc.] is illegal/a Federal offense/whatever your wording of choice is'. I do seem to remember that a case did vindicate the idea of making a private backup of your own, but I don't know how long ago that was.

I agree that all those things should be legal, under the banner of Consumer's Rights, but Consumer's Rights and Fair Use are not very well-defined ideas, legally speaking.

Anyway, my guess about things like World of Warcraft is that it's ok. Just because a company utilizes X system to issue updates doesn't taint everything about their products. Linux distributions commonly use the BitTorrent protocol to distribute their ISO images, and that is perfectly legal, since the distributions which do so don't restrict that form of distribution from their usage ideals. The same thing applies to some music artists which put forth the effort to set up their distribution frameworks that way - the thing which can make using those networks illegal is not the network itself, it's what you're using it for.

I would assume the staff determines which posts are appropriate by the criteria of 'you cannot endorse using those networks to acquire music/movies/applications/etc. illegally, end of story'. Getting updates that are given out that way by the manufacturer themselves is legal, provided they have made that perfectly clear.

Upvote 0

Upisoft

CEO of a waterfal
Feb 11, 2006
Orbiting the Sun
✟20,777.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for the answers. Yes, I was asking about the rules for this forum. I was very surprised to see all P2P apps in the list of illegal things. For me it is just like saying that airplanes are illegal, because someone have done very bad things with them. It doesn't make any sense.

I'm sure that Blizzard use P2P protocol legally.

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟393,562.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thanks for the answers. Yes, I was asking about the rules for this forum. I was very surprised to see all P2P apps in the list of illegal things. For me it is just like saying that airplanes are illegal, because someone have done very bad things with them. It doesn't make any sense.

I'm sure that Blizzard use P2P protocol legally.

Heck I use <removed> legally for downloading shareware.

Upvote 0