Colorado
✟433,363.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
.....The supreme court decision was not about insurrection!
Yes it was about who decides if a candidate is disqualified for insurrection. And how they decide. What the court proposed that the constitution demands is: congress decides via legislation. Thats it. No need for a trial. None of that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ralliann

christian
Jun 27, 2007
✟202,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I'm not arguing that it should be this way.

I'm arguing that the constitution, as interpreted by our current supreme court, says it IS this way.
What is this way? You have two things here.
I .Insurrection by the Colorado court.
2. State court taking a national candidate off their ballot. USSP
The two are not the same......
The USSC.
As I said before, The Colorado court decided these things in the first place, the sole reason the US Supreme court was involved.
Federal....Who decides concerning a national candidate? Since it has NATIONAL REPERCUSSIONS.
They decided this question.....
However........
The supreme court of the UNITED STATES......hypothetical.....
One of the liberal justices spoke of IF they were to decide concerning insurrection, what facts, evidence, would be presented before them?
She mentioned the political hearings of January 6th? Witnesses, evidence, arguments all openly political. Then lacking due process was mentioned, in relation to the political biases of those things
In other words, it is not to hard to see where her question was going. We know the Colorado court just revisited the entire political process for facts to decide the case. We all know and acknowledge such things as political in nature. Yet That is what Colorado did was go on things that were produced by political agenda and biases.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟172,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
The reason those who swore allegiance to the Confederacy were disqualified was precisely that: they took an oath to support a different government.

The equivalent to the same today is in this Code section: . 18 U.S. Code § 2383. If someone is convicted of insurrection under the statute, they are barred from federal office.

No one has been charged or convicted of insurrection here. No one took an oath to support a different government.
A riot occurred for a few hours on a single afternoon. That is not at all the same.

Otherwise all those who rioted, looted, burned down buildings, set fire to cars, and killed people during the 2020 8 month long riots are insurrectionists and should be hunted down and charged with the same vehemence and millions of dollars expended on this group of 1000 or so, who were mostly charged with "being in an unauthorized area" and "parading" - with a handful of exceptions, charged with property crimes or the 4 oath keepers/proud boys charged with conspiracy.
Trying to disrupt Congressional proceedings with violence is, for some reason, considered by the Federal government to be more important to Federal prosecutors than property crimes subject to and prosecuted under state law--though I believe several of the BLM cases were handled by the Feds. you'd have to look into it to see why.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,559.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Right because they were not determining insurrection GEESH!
These things were brought up concerning the Colorado decision. You guys really care so little about rights, innocent before guilt determined with rights intact. No wonder the Dems have not charged the guy for insurrection. You all allow this.....No biggie to you, it is all good.
The supreme court decision was not about insurrection!
Which is it? Where they concerned about due process or was this case not about insurrection. It feels like you are arguing just to argue.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,667.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Yes it was about who decides if a candidate is disqualified for insurrection. And how they decide. What the court proposed that the constitution demands is: congress decides via legislation. Thats it. No need for a trial. None of that.
I've got no issues with Congress making that decision just like they decide on an impeachment. Disqualification on insurrection must be defined and proven. Just like someone who is not old enough can be disqualified, it has to be proven they are not. A good example was Obama. People accused him of not being a citizen. However the accusation was not enough. They had to provide evidence of it and no one could. All of those who opposed this reasoning demanded evidence and proof that Obama was not a citizen. The same thing with insurrection. There has to be evidence presented that he committed it and what he supposedly did that met the requirements. So yes Congress needs to take action to make this decision based upon evidence presented.

Upvote 0

ralliann

christian
Jun 27, 2007
✟202,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I've got no issues with Congress making that decision just like they decide on an impeachment. Disqualification on insurrection must be defined and proven. Just like someone who is not old enough can be disqualified, it has to be proven they are not. A good example was Obama. People accused him of not being a citizen. However the accusation was not enough. They had to provide evidence of it and no one could. All of those who opposed this reasoning demanded evidence and proof that Obama was not a citizen. The same thing with insurrection. There has to be evidence presented that he committed it and what he supposedly did that met the requirements. So yes Congress needs to take action to make this decision based upon evidence presented.
Yes.....The Jan 6th commitee was full of partisans. They even kicked some off they did not want there. That was the point the LIBERAL judge was pointing to. If it would have been an actual court of law, many of the witnesses would not have even qualified.
I have no problem with congress doing that either. But If the Supreme court of the united states doe it, It would be done exactly like every criminal court should do it.

Upvote 0

ralliann

christian
Jun 27, 2007
✟202,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Which is it? Where they concerned about due process or was this case not about insurrection. It feels like you are arguing just to argue.
They were concerned about what they were deciding. I am talking about the hearings, and the hypothetical the judge was asking the lawyers to keep him off the ballot. What facts and evidence they would bring for them to decide that case. Basically, they were inadmissible due to how they were gathered. It was even broought up the comment of the dissenting judges in Colorado. That said things were done that he had never seen done in a court of law.

Reactions: rjs330
Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,559.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
They were concerned about what they were deciding. I am talking about the hearings, and the hypothetical the judge was asking the lawyers to keep him off the ballot. What facts and evidence they would bring for them to decide that case. Basically, they were inadmissible due to how they were gathered. It was even broought up the comment of the dissenting judges in Colorado. That said things were done that he had never seen done in a court of law.
I'm not sure what that has to do with the fact that SCOTUS decided the case on federalism grounds and that due process played no role in their decision, even though you implied otherwise.

Upvote 0

ralliann

christian
Jun 27, 2007
✟202,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I'm not sure what that has to do with the fact that SCOTUS decided the case on federalism grounds and that due process played no role in their decision, even though you implied otherwise.
Didn't we just talk about this? They were deciding a case of insurrection. So not their would nothing said about with due process. It involved a FEDERAL CANDIDATE, that is why FEDERALISM WAS INVOLVED. States cannot decide when it concerns EVERYONE IN THIS COUNTRY.

If the court WERE TO TAKE the insurrection case, IT WOULD BE BECAUSE HE HAS NOT been found guilty of insurrection YET. The Colorado court did not make him subject to removal, PROPERLY.

You all sure want to see people you don't like have no due process to judicially punish them. It is sick.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,559.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Didn't we just talk about this? They were deciding a case of insurrection.
No, there were deciding if the states had the power to disqualify a candidate from from federal office, specifically as the President.
So not their would nothing said about with due process. It involved a FEDERAL CANDIDATE, that is why FEDERALISM WAS INVOLVED. States cannot decide when it concerns EVERYONE IN THIS COUNTRY.
And the Supreme Court agreed, and in fact that's the point I've made several times, that this was a federalism case, not one having to do with due process.
If the court WERE TO TAKE the insurrection case, IT WOULD BE BECAUSE HE HAS NOT been found guilty of insurrection YET.
Or because there was a question on if states had the power to disqualify a federal candidate.
The Colorado court did not make him subject to removal, PROPERLY.
Because the states don't have the power to disqualify somebody from federal office. Nothing to do with due process.
You all sure want to see people you don't like have no due process to judicially punish them.
He had due process. Due process doesn't just mean a criminal trial. There are other forms, which he was accorded.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟301,126.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
It involved a FEDERAL CANDIDATE, that is why FEDERALISM WAS INVOLVED. States cannot decide when it concerns EVERYONE IN THIS COUNTRY.

That isn't federalism. Federalism is dividing the responsibilities and powers of government into different geographical levels with strong governments in more than one level. In the US that is National government and State governments. Oddly enough, the control of virtually all aspects of elections by the states is a part of the US federal system.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,667.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Oddly enough, the control of virtually all aspects of elections by the states is a part of the US federal system.
And it should be since the president is chosen to represent all the people. I think there would be a lot of folks upset if Colorado wouldn't allow Biden on the ballot because they decided he wasn't mentally competent.

The Democrats would be demanding evidence for that. They would want due process for that to happen.

So let's not pretend that the Trump haters are unbiased and perfectly reasonable in this case. They would be exactly the opposite if this was happening to Biden because it was claimed he wasn't mentally competent.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,559.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
And it should be since the president is chosen to represent all the people. I think there would be a lot of folks upset if Colorado wouldn't allow Biden on the ballot because they decided he wasn't mentally competent.
Yes, because there is no provision in the Constitution for that.
The Democrats would be demanding evidence for that. They would want due process for that to happen.
Actually, they wouldn't, because that's a situation where no amount of due process would be sufficient since there is no provision of law disqualifying a candidate for health issues.
So let's not pretend that the Trump haters are unbiased and perfectly reasonable in this case. They would be exactly the opposite if this was happening to Biden because it was claimed he wasn't mentally competent.
Show me a provision in the Constitution disqualifying from holding the office of President due to mental incompetence and you might have a point.

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟458,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes, because there is no provision in the Constitution for that.

Actually, they wouldn't, because that's a situation where no amount of due process would be sufficient since there is no provision of law disqualifying a candidate for health issues.

Show me a provision in the Constitution disqualifying from holding the office of President due to mental incompetence and you might have a point.
Well, there is no provision to unilaterally just decide someone committed a crime either. Those saying that a party can just unilaterally assert "insurrection" - without a criminal charge and conviction or admission - are wrong.

The Supreme Court would not uphold that tactic (which it did not reach in the most recent case, as that was just about authority of a state to remove a federal candidate from the ballot, as it would/could result in every party asserting its opponent "committed insurrection" without ever bothering to charge and convict the person. Trump was not charged with insurrection.

By sharp contrast, the Civil War - with its armed attack on the government putting it at risk, and setting up its own separate government - was an insurrection.

The 25th Amendment permits removal of a President for incompetency, death, or incapacity.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,559.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Well, there is no provision to unilaterally just decide someone committed a crime either.
That never actually happened. The disqualifications all happened as an application of civil law, not criminal.
Those saying that a party can just unilaterally assert "insurrection" - without a criminal charge and conviction or admission - are wrong.
There was nothing in the amendment requiring or even implying the necessity of a criminal conviction. The fact that most of the people who it was originally applied to were never tried for any crime also is significant.
The Supreme Court would not uphold that tactic (which it did not reach in the most recent case, as that was just about authority of a state to remove a federal candidate from the ballot, as it would/could result in every party asserting its opponent "committed insurrection" without ever bothering to charge and convict the person.
They could claim it, but there would still need to be something to support it. In the same way, birtherism was never able to remove President Obama, because there was not enough evidence to support it. Of course, I will admit that the burden of proof is higher for criminal cases than civil ones, but that's also because the penalties are much higher.
Trump was not charged with insurrection.
No, but the Colorado court found there was enough evidence to civilly indicate that he supported an insurrection within the meaning of the Constitution.
By sharp contrast, the Civil War - with its armed attack on the government putting it at risk, and setting up its own separate government - was an insurrection.
It's a much clearer-cut case of an insurrection, but the point still stands that most of the people who were part of it never got tried or convicted of insurrection, yet there was no doubt in anybody's mind this amendment applied.
The 25th Amendment permits removal of a President for incompetency, death, or incapacity.
Yes, by the Cabinet and Congress together. It requires specific action, unlike the 14th Amendment or Article two which simply list qualifications or disqualifications.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

NxNW

Nov 30, 2019
NW
✟195,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
States cannot decide when it concerns EVERYONE IN THIS COUNTRY.
Of course they can. New York found Trump guilty of fraud.
You all sure want to see people you don't like have no due process to judicially punish them. It is sick.
Who's being denied due process?

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,363.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Impeachment is essentially political. It may rely on solid evidence of wrongdoing. But it doesnt have to. Now what we've done is given congress an alternative form of impeachment with no 2/3 majority constitutionally required in the senate.

If theyd have used this rationale, the 57 - 43 senate majority to convict could have prevailed, and Trump wouldn't be an issue right now!

Upvote 0

ralliann

christian
Jun 27, 2007
✟202,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
No, there were deciding if the states had the power to disqualify a candidate from from federal office, specifically as the President.
I am sorry I did forget to put the word not in there. My bad.
And the Supreme Court agreed, and in fact that's the point I've made several times, that this was a federalism case, not one having to do with due process.
Yes because it was not a case deciding insurrection. It was about a federal candidate.
Or because there was a question on if states had the power to disqualify a federal candidate.
That is why the decision involved federalism.
Because the states don't have the power to disqualify somebody from federal office. Nothing to do with due process.
Exactly we had this conversation before. My mistake however in leaving out "not", has shown you do understand that. So I do not understand why we are going over it again?

He had due process. Due process doesn't just mean a criminal trial. There are other forms, which he was accorded.
He did not have due process in the Colorado court. The colorado court decided based upon the facts of the Jan 6th committee, which was a political process.

Upvote 0