Visit site
✟23,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Read his previous posts, but in a nutshell, because they eat different things, have different dances and speak Spanish.

I have, but my issue is that that still doesn't equal an answer, though, as there are many many various cultures represented within the US, all of which have different food, languages, dances, etc. And yet they are just as much a part of the US as he is, as I am, as anyone else as. And just as much so as Puerto Ricans will be if Congress passes the allowance for statehood.

Upvote 0

Creech

Senior Veteran
Apr 7, 2012
New York
✟15,556.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
I have, but my issue is that that still doesn't equal an answer, though, as there are many many various cultures represented within the US, all of which have different food, languages, dances, etc. And yet they are just as much a part of the US as he is, as I am, as anyone else as. And just as much so as Puerto Ricans will be if Congress passes the allowance for statehood.

I am against much of the imperialism that is currently in the US. This is just adding on to it.

Upvote 0

Fenny the Fox

Apr 21, 2009
Rock Hill, SC
Visit site
✟23,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
I do not want to live in an Empire. Puerto Rican statehood would only further increase imperialism.

Citizens or not, Puerto Ricans will forever be foreigners in my eyes. They are not my people. Do I hate them? Nope. Are they an entirely different nation? YUP!!!

Imperialism requires control without consent or permission. We are not an empire, but a federation of States. Puerto Rico is ASKING to be a part of that. They could have just as easily asked to leave the US completely, as it has been offered and denied numerous times by vote.

Upvote 0

Touma

Feb 19, 2007
Virginia
✟26,533.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think you're right. In fact, let's ask every single country in the world if they would like to join the United States. No, better yet, lets just grant Americans status to everyone in the entire world. Now everyone can be Americans, yay!!

I'm entirely kidding.

I didn't say or imply anything you mentioned. A bit of hyperbole, no?

Upvote 0

Creech

Senior Veteran
Apr 7, 2012
New York
✟15,556.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Imperialism requires control without consent or permission. We are not an empire, but a federation of States. Puerto Rico is ASKING to be a part of that. They could have just as easily asked to leave the US completely, as it has been offered and denied numerous times by vote.

An empire is a geographically extensive group of states and peoples (ethnic groups) united and ruled either by a central authority. It is indeed imperialism.

Upvote 0

CabVet

Question everything
Dec 7, 2011
Los Altos, CA
✟28,402.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
An empire is a geographically extensive group of states and peoples (ethnic groups) united and ruled either by a central authority. It is indeed imperialism.

Here is the correct definition in case you are interested:

Imperialism, as defined by the People of Human Geography, is "the creation and/or maintenance of an unequal economic, cultural, and territorial relationship, usually between states and often in the form of an empire, based on domination and subordination."

Upvote 0

Creech

Senior Veteran
Apr 7, 2012
New York
✟15,556.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Here is the correct definition in case you are interested:

Imperialism, as defined by the People of Human Geography, is "the creation and/or maintenance of an unequal economic, cultural, and territorial relationship, usually between states and often in the form of an empire, based on domination and subordination."

There are many definitions. It can also be defined as the policy of extending the rule or authority of an empire or a central authority over foreign countries, or of acquiring and holding colonies and dependencies.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CabVet

Question everything
Dec 7, 2011
Los Altos, CA
✟28,402.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There are many definitions. It can also be defined as the policy of extending the rule or authority of an empire or a central authority over foreign countries, or of acquiring and holding colonies and dependencies.

Yes, many definitions, but none of them can be used to describe Puerto Rico becoming a state as "imperialism" since Puerto Rico is already part of the US. It would actually be less imperialistic to have them as a state because they would acquire rights they don't have now, and it would increase equality.

But then, you are against equality, so why am I saying that?

Upvote 0

FaithLikeARock

Let the human mind loose.
Nov 19, 2007
California
✟4,662.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
The Democrats killed HR 2499 without a vote(they sat on it) which would have made the decision for their future.

Also, I don't see how adding them as a state would help them. It would probably kill their economy.

How can Congress decide before the people have voted? There is nothing preventing it from being presented again, and most likely it would be voted on this time, since it is more a matter of urgency.

Upvote 0

SnowCal

50 Cent Party
Jan 24, 2012
✟9,835.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
So Creech... Puerto Rico is currently a commonwealth in the United States. There is something of an imperial relationship there. Puerto Rico would like to change that. They want to be an equal state in our union of states.

Why do you oppose that? You've already been clear about that. <staff edit>

I, for one, welcome our new Puerto Rican overlords.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

FreeSpirit74

Contra Dancing Pagan Warrior
Mar 15, 2006
Troy, NY temporarily displaced to Schenectady, NY
Visit site
✟11,834.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hawaii and Alaska both had their own language, culture, customs, etc, and they were much more different from "America" as today's Puerto Rico's culture, etc is.

Yes, and our those respective cultures, customs still practiced? Are the languages still spoken? Did they have a flag that they hold dear, and even a song celebrating that flag ("Que Bonita Bandera" is like the second Puerto Rican national anthem behind "La Borinquena" which, FYI was a song that came out of the Nationalist Movement, as did the PR flag).

My viewpoint on statehood comes from looknig at it through the lens of hanging with people who are Nationalists and support the Independence movement. For the last 19 years I have had the privilege of experiencing the culture, the music, the food, the camaraderie, the PRIDE of the Puerto Rican people I have come to know. I've vacationed there twice... NOT in some resort, but up in the hills of Cupe Alto, outside of San Juan, hosted and surrounded by the native people (who watched in amusement the first time I tasted home-made moonshine!). I took part in Three King's Day festivities, including the parranda. It would be a shame for this island to lose its language, and its culture, and its right to stand alone on the world stage.

Reactions: Creech
Upvote 0

SnowCal

50 Cent Party
Jan 24, 2012
✟9,835.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Yes, and our those respective cultures, customs still practiced? Are the languages still spoken? Did they have a flag that they hold dear, and even a song celebrating that flag ("Que Bonita Bandera" is like the second Puerto Rican national anthem behind "La Borinquena" which, FYI was a song that came out of the Nationalist Movement, as did the PR flag).

My viewpoint on statehood comes from looknig at it through the lens of hanging with people who are Nationalists and support the Independence movement. For the last 19 years I have had the privilege of experiencing the culture, the music, the food, the camaraderie, the PRIDE of the Puerto Rican people I have come to know. I've vacationed there twice... NOT in some resort, but up in the hills of Cupe Alto, outside of San Juan, hosted and surrounded by the native people (who watched in amusement the first time I tasted home-made moonshine!). I took part in Three King's Day festivities, including the parranda. It would be a shame for this island to lose its language, and its culture, and its right to stand alone on the world stage.

This is like saying "It would be a shame to lose your right to be single" at somebody's wedding. Why do you insist on telling the Puerto Ricans what to do? Why can't they choose for themselves?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Touma

Feb 19, 2007
Virginia
✟26,533.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Oh cool. You went there twice. Now, the people who have lived there their whole lives have voted to join as a state. I think they know better than you.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I think President Obama has said previously he'd support PR statehood if that's what they decided. This may very well go somewhere if that's true.
Can definately see that occurring....

Upvote 0

Creech

Senior Veteran
Apr 7, 2012
New York
✟15,556.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
This is like saying "It would be a shame to lose your right to be single" at somebody's wedding. Why do you insist on telling the Puerto Ricans what to do? Why can't they choose for themselves?

Why stop at Puerto Rico? Let's let Hati vote if they want to become part of the United States, or maybe we should let Cuba! And don't forget the Dominican Republic.

Upvote 0

SnowCal

50 Cent Party
Jan 24, 2012
✟9,835.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Why stop at Puerto Rico? Let's let Hati vote if they want to become part of the United States, or maybe we should let Cuba! And don't forget the Dominican Republic.

Puerto Rico is a Commonwealth of the United States. They are part of our country, but are not a full state today. As once were all 50 of the states currently in our union.

There is no good reason to exclude Puerto Rico full membership in our country.

Upvote 0

Skavau

Ode to the Forgotten Few
Sep 6, 2007
England
✟41,497.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
I pray that this does not come to pass. They have their own language, culture, customs, etc. What kind of imperialist nonsense is this?? I was hoping they would end up becoming independent, but it seems like that idea has little support.

Puerto Ricans are not and never will be Americans!
What is the overall "culture" of America?

Reactions: Philothei
Upvote 0