The Texas Nationalist Movement (TEXIT) sues Texas GOP after its secession proposal is rejected from the primary ballot

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
A pro-Texas independence movement has said it will take the state Republican party to court after it rejected its proposal to put the question of secession on the ballot in 2024. [The proposal] would not be legally binding and would serve only as an advisory vote.

Republican Party of Texas Chairman Matt Rinaldi said the vast majority of the 139,456 signatures delivered to the Republican Party headquarters in Austin earlier this month were invalid.

In a statement, TEXIT leader Daniel Miller said: "We hereby reject the decision of the Republican Party of Texas and fully intend to litigate to secure the rights of the petition signers as guaranteed by the Texas Election Code," Miller added.

Questions approved by the Texas GOP to appear on the March ballot include if a 'Border Protection Unit' should be created, urging Congress not to grant amnesty for illegal aliens, and banning the sale of state land to buyers from China, Iran, North Korea and Russia.

[It seems odd to me that these proposal go through the parties, but I guess it's the Texas way? In California, you get your signatures, and the Secretary of State puts your cockamamie idea on the ballot.]

see also

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟48,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
[It seems odd to me that these proposal go through the parties, but I guess it's the Texas way? In California, you get your signatures, and the Secretary of State puts your cockamamie idea on the ballot.]
I've seen it before. The key part of all this is "[The proposal] would not be legally binding and would serve only as an advisory vote." It's not even a referendum. Usually such questions are like the "surveys" that sometimes appear on fundraisers, more to rally the faithful than anything else. In this case it seems something to try to make it something the Texas GOP would consider backing or to make it appear the Texas GOP favors secession.

• Agree
Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

Richard T

Mar 25, 2018
traveling Asia
✟69,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Texas is not very democratic when it comes to ballot initiatives or recalls. "Texas is one of eighteen states which do not permit any other form of initiative, referendum, or recall. Texas Politics - Initiative, Referendum, and Recall Across the States
I guess the GOP has their own system protected in law to get advisory votes on primary ballots. Seems the signatures were invalid though.
I do recall a a city in Idaho where petitioners were trying to get marijuana legalized from an initiative. There the County clerk rejected their petition. They sued and won the right. It is not the County Clerk's duty to determine whether a ballot measure is legal or not. She had exceeded her authority.

Citizen initiatives irritate the establishment so later idaho cracked down on how they could move forward. Politicians are too entrenched. Idaho ignored a passed ballot measure to limit terms for state legislators. And SD ignored the passed initiative for medical Marijuana.

Upvote 0