• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

amanda2of4

Jun 25, 2017
Medford OR
✟15,440.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hello folks,

I'm on here looking for help. Not sure if I'll ever find the answer I'm looking for but I'm struggling with truly connecting to God.

I have complex PTSD. My mother has been abusive for as long as I can remember, but I only recently came to this realization and was officially diagnosed with PTSD. I'm still struggling with truly grasping all of this, and I'm finding more and more that it's affecting my religion. I'm immensely blessed by God in that He has given me unshakable faith. I know He's real, I know Jesus Christ is the Son of God and my Savior. But I also know that my mother, the woman who abused me all my life, also believes in Jesus Christ, and that she is most likely also saved. I also know that she used the Bible as a defense for her abuse, and that my church growing up supported her (granted they didn't know the extent of the abuse). On top of all this, a lot of the abuse happened at church because that was when she was most concerned about her appearance and wanted us children on "our best behavior". Among my siblings, two have fallen away from Christ because of my mother. They both know in their hearts that God is real and Christ is King, but they want nothing to do with a God that would stand with my mother. And I want so bad to be able to make that same decision, but there is no part of me that could ever deny that Jesus is my Savior.

Unfortunately all of this is still affecting me. When I try to read my bible I get sick, I become nauseous and have a panic attack. The same thing happens when I go to church. I almost never go to church because it triggers me and I come very close to self harming every single time. I also don't read my bible for the same reason. Don't get me wrong, I WANT TO! But I have a PHYSICAL response that I can't control, and it's preventing me from pursuing God in the way I want to. I know the typical responses: pray about it, God can heal, if you TRULY believe.... But when I get nauseous and I think I'm going to puke, or I get one of those panic attacks that takes my breath away, gives me chest pains, and makes me feel like I'm going to die, it gets harder and harder to keep going back to the same trigger. In therapy we're taught to AVOID triggers.

What do I do. I can NEVER stop pursuing God. But it's making me sick. And I don't know how to overcome this.

• Prayers
Reactions: I'm_Sorry

God is good

Oct 4, 2016
Michigan
✟201,885.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Heavenly Father, I pray that you stay close to Amanda and that you bless her and please help her read the Bible and please heal her from her abuse. Please help her mother to really love her as you love her. In Jesus's name amen. God bless you and Jesus is Lord.

Upvote 0

Bluerose31

Christian Flower
Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2017
US
✟419,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hello folks,

I'm on here looking for help. Not sure if I'll ever find the answer I'm looking for but I'm struggling with truly connecting to God.

I have complex PTSD. My mother has been abusive for as long as I can remember, but I only recently came to this realization and was officially diagnosed with PTSD. I'm still struggling with truly grasping all of this, and I'm finding more and more that it's affecting my religion. I'm immensely blessed by God in that He has given me unshakable faith. I know He's real, I know Jesus Christ is the Son of God and my Savior. But I also know that my mother, the woman who abused me all my life, also believes in Jesus Christ, and that she is most likely also saved. I also know that she used the Bible as a defense for her abuse, and that my church growing up supported her (granted they didn't know the extent of the abuse). On top of all this, a lot of the abuse happened at church because that was when she was most concerned about her appearance and wanted us children on "our best behavior". Among my siblings, two have fallen away from Christ because of my mother. They both know in their hearts that God is real and Christ is King, but they want nothing to do with a God that would stand with my mother. And I want so bad to be able to make that same decision, but there is no part of me that could ever deny that Jesus is my Savior.

Unfortunately all of this is still affecting me. When I try to read my bible I get sick, I become nauseous and have a panic attack. The same thing happens when I go to church. I almost never go to church because it triggers me and I come very close to self harming every single time. I also don't read my bible for the same reason. Don't get me wrong, I WANT TO! But I have a PHYSICAL response that I can't control, and it's preventing me from pursuing God in the way I want to. I know the typical responses: pray about it, God can heal, if you TRULY believe.... But when I get nauseous and I think I'm going to puke, or I get one of those panic attacks that takes my breath away, gives me chest pains, and makes me feel like I'm going to die, it gets harder and harder to keep going back to the same trigger. In therapy we're taught to AVOID triggers.

What do I do. I can NEVER stop pursuing God. But it's making me sick. And I don't know how to overcome this.

I am so sorry you went through all of this with your mother. I will be praying for you, that you find healing and comfort from God. I think what you have endured is spiritual abuse, when someone uses the Bible to justify abuse. Maybe researching spiritual abuse will help you. I pray that God show you He is different then your mother and would never hurt you. I pray your mom heals and becomes someone who treats others well. I pray God comfort your spirit and show you his tender love.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,507,481.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Hi Amanda,

Sadly you're not alone. There are other people who have gone through, or are going through, similar things. I've also struggled with PTSD after an abusive mother; fortunately (?) for me, we didn't go to church, so my triggers are different, but it's still affected my faith walk a great deal.

I wonder whether, for you, it might be possible to try doing things differently? Go to a completely different style of church, one which is different enough not to be triggering? Or learn different ways to pray (breath prayer can be really helpful for someone who's anxious) or prayers involving movement of the body, or... there are lots of things you might never have tried, that might let you feel connected to God while avoiding the triggers. I'm happy to bounce some ideas around if that helps.

How things are now, is not how they'll be forever. There is healing, and there is hope for change. I've seen a lot of improvement since I was at my worst, and I'm sure you can, too.

God bless!

Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hello folks,

Wow........... powerful post. Your Spiritual Nature is awesome, while under attack by the mind-mental nature. I certainly would explore applicable prescriptions by a well-known, well-qualified physician. You may want to have a physician evaluate the medications you may be taking, to avoid contraindications.

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
Hello folks,

Hi Amanda,

Are you in therapy right now? If not, I would seriously recommend it. A therapist is a doctor trained to help people overcome injuries of the mind, such as PTSD. I know my experience in therapy made a night and day difference in battling (and eventually conquering) my own PTSD. Now things which used to instantly make me go ballistic don't phase me at all.

In the mean time, while you are going to therapy and working on that injury, you still can have a relationship with God while minimizing triggers. Just look for a different avenue of approach. Like for me, crowds of people were a trigger, so I for a while I did my studying by myself and/or with a small group. Certain buildings were an issue, so I studied in the garden. If you have trigger of getting dressed up sets you off, stay dressed down. Things like that. It's likely going to require some creativity and self-awareness, but it's doable.

If you want to talk any specific examples, feel free to just ask.

Upvote 0