• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Psychiatry - The Hidden Enemy

Calvinist Dark Lord

Apr 8, 2003
Near Pittsburgh, which is NOT in Scotland!
✟27,806.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I pray this very revealing documentary will be a blessing.

i have not seen the video, nor do i plan on watching it. However, you may wish to check the source. Many of these videos come from adherents of the Church of Scientology.

i accept psychiatry only because a psychiatrist is an MD, and as such looks for physical causes for "psychological problems" as well as other problems. HOWEVER, i reject psychology which appears to be a false science. My own views are (for the most part) those of the late Dr. Thomas Szasz.

Upvote 0

Long Island Pilgrim

Site Supporter
Jan 30, 2016
NY
✟67,631.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi bettercallpaul,
I didn't get the impression that too much money was being wasted in the sense that the payout itself was problematic. I got the impression that they were citing the fact that it had become a huge barbaric industry.

Hi Calvinist Dark Lord. There was no indication that the Church of Scientology was involved in the making of this video . I do think we certainly always have to consider the sources so, having said that, we can equally suspect absolutely every single video posted on the internet. There is an ocean of bad information out there, for sure. When viewing any video I think the question of " Cui-buno" (Literally meaning "who benefits" ) from the information is something that has to be considered. Where is the video steering the viewer ? In this case I think it is steering the viewer away from psychiatry ..not specifically towards anything.

Psychiatry and the dispensation of medication for the cure of souls is dangerous. What Christian soldiers need is solid Biblical based counseling and support .

Upvote 0

Calvinist Dark Lord

Apr 8, 2003
Near Pittsburgh, which is NOT in Scotland!
✟27,806.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hi bettercallpaul,
I didn't get the impression that too much money was being wasted in the sense that the payout itself was problematic. I got the impression that they were citing the fact that it had become a huge barbaric industry.

Hi Calvinist Dark Lord. There was no indication that the Church of Scientology was involved in the making of this video . I do think we certainly always have to consider the sources so, having said that, we can equally suspect absolutely every single video posted on the internet. There is an ocean of bad information out there, for sure. When viewing any video I think the question of " Cui-buno" (Literally meaning "who benefits" ) from the information is something that has to be considered. Where is the video steering the viewer ? In this case I think it is steering the viewer away from psychiatry ..not specifically towards anything.
i'm happy to see that the Scientologists did not have a hand in this video. The "Who benefits?" certainly works with all religions. In the case of Scientology, one becomes 'clear' by taking their courses and spending a ton of money to do so. In the case of Christianity it is the "Christian psychologists and psychiatrists who benefit. i speak of foundations such as New Life/Minrith-Meyer...may have spelled that incorrectly.

Where Szasz got it wrong was in not recognising that there may well be a physical cause for "Mental Illness". However because the Psychiatrist IS also a medical Doctor, he or she would at least in theory be looking for physical issues.

This opens up another Pandora's box. Our understanding of brain chemistry is in an infantile stage. It is an area where medical research needs to be made right beside work with adult stem cells. We do need to stop using patients as crash test dummies in that field of study (brain chemistry).

Psychiatry and the dispensation of medication for the cure of souls is dangerous. What Christian soldiers need is solid Biblical based counseling and support .
Another weakness that Szasz had was that being an Atheist, he did not recognise that many "behavioural" problems have their root in SPIRITUAL issues. This is more properly the work of a Christian Minister, and not the work of somebody such as a Dr. James Dobson, who has a PhD in Child Psychology and a not-too-good Methodist Church Sunday school education in the field of Theology.

i submit to you that it is often not the case of "either-or". There are at least two other possibilities involved here. First the possibility that an individual's problem may be BOTH physical and spiritual. Second, there is the possibility that their "problem" may be neither physical nor spiritual.

Now i need to back it down a bit. i certainly do not support what is called psychology and i have reservations about most psychiatrists. i've seen those psychiatrists kill too many people by prescribing the wrong drugs (where they were actually needed) or prescribing amounts that caused more trouble from the side effects than the original problem did.

We are not that far apart on this issue.

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It has been my experience that there are extremes of imagination and personal ideologies in many such mental/emotional practioners. One should see a recommended (known and thorough) Internal Medicine physician to rule out any organic imbalances or malignancy, if mental/emotional problems persist over extended time. Then if nothing is found bio-chemical, a Clinical Psychologist -Ph.D who is well-known to be a real "born again" believer in Jesus Christ, should be consulted for help in identifying the trauma and deficits in the personality by various testing and analysis. His character as a true Christian will be a good safe-guard. Such so-called "functional disorders" are burdens that develop over many years, and can incapacitate some people who are not strong enough to handle their mental trials of life. This is just a alternative I have confidence in.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TurtleAnne

Dec 25, 2016
Michigan U.S.
✟20,919.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There is a lot of corruption in the field of psychiatry, but it's not all bad, nor is all of it bogus. There is a mixture.. of deceit, greed, anti-spirituality, over-medicating, etc.. but then also of professionals who are honest and do care and prescribe sparingly/responsibly and who do not discourage or mock spirituality. It can be very hard to find a good professional when one is in need.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,078.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There is a lot of corruption in the field of psychiatry, but it's not all bad, nor is all of it bogus. There is a mixture.. of deceit, greed, anti-spirituality, over-medicating, etc.. but then also of professionals who are honest and do care and prescribe sparingly/responsibly and who do not discourage or mock spirituality. It can be very hard to find a good professional when one is in need.
Truly said.

Upvote 0