Visit site
✟832,604.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Of course, you have done a very good job of derailing the thread by turning a discussion about love into a discussion about God by claiming that love requires God. How about we get back to the topic at hand?
I've already given my opinion about love, so I am happy to leave it at that. Best wishes in your journey. :)

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
But if my definition of love is different to yours, I can give my proof that love exists, and you could reply, "Oh, but that's not actually love."

So if we first define exactly what it means when we say "love", then we can start presenting proofs of it, knowing that we are both definitely talking about the same thing.

My post is meant to understand how others outside my faith would address love and the method of their reasoning, so I'm confused as to where you're coming up with the scenario that I'm going to somehow be combative. Maybe out of fear or defense idk.

In any case, I'm giving you to floor to teach me how you view it,very simple, its either you have an answer or not. But if you're asking me to define love for you, that defeats the purpose of the post, its not to say who's right or wrong :)

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
prove that reason exists...

love isn't a tangible thing but a descriptive term for certain actions.

Then explain being "in love", since that's more describing a state of being more that just a descriptive term for actions. Would that work given your definition?

Upvote 0

S.O.J.I.A.

Dynamic UNO
Nov 6, 2016
Michigan
✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Then explain being "in love", since that's more describing a state of being more that just a descriptive term for actions. Would that work given your definition?
"being in love" or "falling in love" are actually describing 'infatuation' which is a state of being or feeling one has for another.

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Love has a subjective existence, not an objective one; meaning it only exists in your head. Love's existence is as real as your thoughts and feelings are. How is love accessed? Via your thoughts and imagination.

So in terms of objectively viewing certain situations, would it be invalid to have a collective stance of what thoughts are considered "loving"?

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
"being in love" or "falling in love" are actually describing 'infatuation' which is a state of being or feeling one has for another.

So would it be accurate in your reasoning to say that the term "infatuation" should never intertwine with "love"?

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,604.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
This is the Greek definition of "phileo" love

Upvote 0

S.O.J.I.A.

Dynamic UNO
Nov 6, 2016
Michigan
✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
So would it be accurate in your reasoning to say that the term "infatuation" should never intertwine with "love"?

rather we understand what we're actually describing. when people say things like "falling in love", "being in love", or "love at first sight", they're simply describing infatuation, which is the definition of a certain form of emotional stimuli dealing with attraction.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,163,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Being a sadist I can only feel love under the context of suffering. Be it romantic or platonic. Of course sadism probably mostly has a negative connotation when in realty the expressions of sadism can be quite varied and counterintuitive, lol.

I think everyone has that sort of love to some extent. Playful teasing and whatnot is a common staple of romance and friendships. Just for me, it seems like I always have to be in the mode or I feel nothing. Pretty much sucks. Some people think I am cold hearted and distant, because I can't feel much for anyone if not under a suffering setting. Yet when someone needs help I can be quite attentive and caring.. something that confuses many people.

As for the psychology and different types of love, I think James Giles has an interesting Ted Talk on the subject.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟301,883.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
My post is meant to understand how others outside my faith would address love and the method of their reasoning, so I'm confused as to where you're coming up with the scenario that I'm going to somehow be combative. Maybe out of fear or defense idk.

In any case, I'm giving you to floor to teach me how you view it,very simple, its either you have an answer or not. But if you're asking me to define love for you, that defeats the purpose of the post, its not to say who's right or wrong :)

I think I was quite clear that I am simply trying to make sure we are both talking about the same thing.

Upvote 0

Fear2Believe

Aug 24, 2019
Brisbane
✟154,284.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Freethinker
Marital Status
Single
I know that everyone here have an array of belief levels and how they perceive things. So I wanted to know, based on your methods of reasoning, can you prove that love exist? How would you access it, if you would at all?
I don't think I could prove that love is the fundamental cause of the universe. Since we really don't know enough about the cause or a creator of that cause to explain under what conditions love operates. If love was the guiding force of all energy and matter, then it would stand to reason that love would be a constant much like light. But ask yourself this question, does any person on this planet demonstrate a love that is consistent with that constant. Can they prove to you it exists? Or are people just making up what love is based on belief alone?

I'll let you do the rest of the thinking.

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I don't think I could prove that love is the fundamental cause of the universe. Since we really don't know enough about the cause or a creator of that cause to explain under what conditions love operates. If love was the guiding force of all energy and matter, then it would stand to reason that love would be a constant much like light. But ask yourself this question, does any person on this planet demonstrate a love that is consistent with that constant. Can they prove to you it exists? Or are people just making up what love is based on belief alone?

I'll let you do the rest of the thinking.

Question wasn’t if love is the fundamental cause of the universe. The question is does love exist and what method of reasoning would lead you to that conclusion

Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
The question is does love exist and what method of reasoning would lead you to that conclusion
As far as I am concerned, for to answer the question it isn´t so much the term "love" that is in need of a definition but the term "existing".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
As far as I am concerned, for to answer the question it isn´t so much the term "love" that is in need of a definition but the term "existing".

Ok define what “exist” is for you first.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,163,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Not sure what you're looking for? You want a scientific explanation for love? Evolutionary psychology might be an interesting avenue to investigate. I think the development of theory of mind/emotional empathy is crucial when it comes to "love".

Maybe someone else can flesh it out, since my idea of love is pretty limited. Honestly I'd be fascinated to hear what the psychology and origin of "love" is for each individual person.

Upvote 0

Fear2Believe

Aug 24, 2019
Brisbane
✟154,284.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Freethinker
Marital Status
Single
Question wasn’t if love is the fundamental cause of the universe. The question is does love exist and what method of reasoning would lead you to that conclusion
I think you & I would know asking the question if love exist in a Christian forum will only return one answer.

Upvote 0