✟170,860.00
Country
China
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Protestant missions in China

In the early 19th century, Western colonial expansion occurred at the same time as an evangelical revival – the Second Great Awakening – throughout the English-speaking world, leading to more overseas missionary activity. The nineteenth century became known as the Great Century of modern religious missions.

Beginning with the English missionary Robert Morrison in 1807, thousands of Protestant men, their wives and children, and unmarried female missionaries would live and work in China in an extended encounter between Chinese and Western culture. Most missionaries represented and were supported by Protestantorganizations or denominations in their home countries. They entered China at a time of growing power by the British East India Company, but were initially restricted from living and traveling in China except for the limited area of the Thirteen Factories in Canton, now known as Guangzhou, and Macau. In the 1842 treaty ending the First Opium War missionaries were granted the right to live and work in five coastal cities. In 1860, the treaties ending the Second Opium War with the French and British opened up the entire country to missionary activity.

Protestant missionary activity exploded during the next few decades. From 50 missionaries in China in 1860, the number grew to 2,500 (counting wives and children) in 1900. 1,400 of the missionaries were British, 1,000 were Americans, and 100 were from continental Europe, mostly Scandinavia.[1] Protestant missionary activity peaked in the 1920s and thereafter declined due to war and unrest in China. By 1953, all Protestant missionaries had been expelled by the communist government of China.

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Christianity in China became indingenous long before Communism. The Three Self movement, the movement to unite Protestants in China into one national church, had its origins in the observations of missionaries themselves, and later in the ideas of Sun Yat Sen and his belief that Chinese people needed to be self-sufficient in all respects and not a colony of the West. As a result, a national Protestant church was founded during the Republican period in modern Chinese history, long before the Communist takeover.

Three-Self Patriotic Movement - Wikipedia

The Three Self Patriotic Movement in China

Yusuphhai

Messianic Arabic-Semitic Chinese
Oct 19, 2005
Beijing China
✟170,860.00
Country
China
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Robert Morrison (The first Protestant missionary to China)

Robert Morrison, FRS (5 January 1782 – 1 August 1834), was an Anglo[1]-Scottish[2] Protestant missionary to Portuguese Macao, Qing-era Guangdong, and DutchMalacca, who was also a pioneering sinologist, lexicographer, and translator considered the "Father of Anglo-Chinese Literature".[3]

Morrison, a Presbyterian preacher, is most notable for his work in China. After twenty-five years of work he translated the whole Bible into the Chinese language and baptized ten Chinese believers, including Cai Gao, Liang Fa, and Wat Ngong. Morrison pioneered the translation of the Bible into Chinese and planned for the distribution of the Scriptures as broadly as possible, unlike the previous Roman Catholic translation work that had never been published.[4]

Morrison cooperated with such contemporary missionaries as Walter Henry Medhurst and William Milne (the printers), Samuel Dyer (Hudson Taylor's father-in-law), Karl Gützlaff (the Prussian linguist), and Peter Parker (China's first medical missionary). He served for 27 years in China with one furlough home to England. The only missionary efforts in China were restricted to Guangzhou (Canton) and Macau at this time. They concentrated on literature distribution among members of the merchant class, gained a few converts, and laid the foundations for more educational and medical work that would significantly impact the culture and history of the most populous nation on earth. However, when Morrison was asked shortly after his arrival in China if he expected to have any spiritual impact on the Chinese, he answered, "No sir, but I expect God will!"[5]

Upvote 0

Yusuphhai

Oct 19, 2005
Beijing China
✟170,860.00
Country
China
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
James Hudson Taylor ([URL='https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China_Inland_Mission']China Inland Mission)[/URL]

James Hudson Taylor (Chinese: 戴德生; pinyin: dài dé shēng; 21 May 1832 – 3 June 1905) was a British Protestant Christian missionary to China and founder of theChina Inland Mission (CIM, now OMF International). Taylor spent 51 years in China. The society that he began was responsible for bringing over 800 missionaries to the country who began 125 schools[1] and directly resulted in 18,000 Christian conversions, as well as the establishment of more than 300 stations of work with more than 500 local helpers in all eighteen provinces.[2]

Taylor was known for his sensitivity to Chinese culture and zeal for evangelism. He adopted wearing native Chinese clothing even though this was rare among missionaries of that time. Under his leadership, the CIM was singularly non-denominational in practice and accepted members from all Protestant groups, including individuals from the working class, and single women as well as multinational recruits. Primarily because of the CIM's campaign against the opium trade, Taylor has been referred to as one of the most significant Europeans to visit China in the 19th century.[3][page needed] Historian Ruth Tucker summarizes the theme of his life:

No other missionary in the nineteen centuries since the Apostle Paul has had a wider vision and has carried out a more systematized plan of evangelizing a broad geographical area than Hudson Taylor.[4]

Taylor was able to preach in several varieties of Chinese, including Mandarin, Chaozhou, and the Wu dialects of Shanghai and Ningbo. The last of these he knew well enough to help prepare a colloquial edition of the New Testament written in it.[5]

Upvote 0

Yusuphhai

Oct 19, 2005
Beijing China
✟170,860.00
Country
China
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Christianity in China became indingenous long before Communism. The Three Self movement, the movement to unite Protestants in China into one national church, had its origins in the observations of missionaries themselves, and later in the ideas of Sun Yat Sen and his belief that Chinese people needed to be self-sufficient in all respects and not a colony of the West. As a result, a national Protestant church was founded during the Republican period in modern Chinese history, long before the Communist takeover.

So need to distinguish Which is real Three Self (Persecuted) and which is fause Three Self(controled by Politics)

Upvote 0

Yusuphhai

Oct 19, 2005
Beijing China
✟170,860.00
Country
China
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Massacre of missionaries and Chinese Christians(In Boxer Rebelion,1900)

The Holy Chinese Martyrs of theOrthodox Church as depicted in an iconcommissioned in 1990

Orthodox, Protestant, and Catholic missionaries and their Chinese parishioners were massacred throughout northern China, some by Boxers and others by government troops and authorities. After the declaration of war on Western powers in June 1900, Yuxian, who had been named governor of Shanxi in March of that year, implemented a brutal anti-foreign and anti-Christian policy. On 9 July, reports circulated that he had executed forty-four foreigners (including women and children) from missionary families whom he had invited to the provincial capital Taiyuan under the promise to protect them.[98][99] Although the purported eyewitness accounts have recently been questioned as improbable, this event became a notorious symbol of Chinese anger, known as the Taiyuan Massacre.[100] By the summer's end, more foreigners and as many as 2,000 Chinese Christians had been put to death in the province. Journalist and historical writer Nat Brandt has called the massacre of Christians in Shanxi "the greatest single tragedy in the history of Christian evangelicalism."[101]

During the Boxer Rebellion as a whole, a total of 136 Protestant missionaries and 53 children were killed, and 47 Catholic priests and nuns. 30,000 Chinese Catholics, 2,000 Chinese Protestants, and 200 to 400 of the 700 Russian Orthodox Christians in Beijing were estimated to have been killed. Collectively, the Protestant dead were called theChina Martyrs of 1900.[102] 222 of Russian Christian Chinese Martyrs including St. Metrophanes were locally canonised as New Martyrs on 22 April 1902, after archimandriteInnocent (Fugurovsky), head of the Russian Orthodox Mission in China, solicited the Most Holy Synod to perpetuate their memory. This was the first local canonisation for more than two centuries.[103] The Boxers went on to murder Christians across 26 prefectures.[104]

Upvote 0

Yusuphhai

Oct 19, 2005
Beijing China
✟170,860.00
Country
China
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Yusuphhai

Oct 19, 2005
Beijing China
✟170,860.00
Country
China
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Yusuphhai

Oct 19, 2005
Beijing China
✟170,860.00
Country
China
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Who are the main active mission groups/denominations in China now?
I think most modern Chinese church is non-denominational and evangelist. It seems western branches of denomination are not very important to Chinese. Some are Reformed(Calvinist), Pentecost, Charismatic, Baptist. In my church different background of denomination is not a serious problem. House church and Three-Self founded by the government have a gap. Some groups especially in the village have more local tendency that they look not like Protestant or Catholic.

(added)The number of Chinese protestant is more than 60 million, and the number of Catholic is more than10 million. More house church members than registered.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Yusuphhai

Oct 19, 2005
Beijing China
✟170,860.00
Country
China
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Allen Yuan (袁相忱) (1914-2005) and 王明道(Wang Ming-Dao)lived in Beijing in most of their life. John Sung Shang Chieh (宋尚节)'s tomb is in Fragrant Moutain ,Beijing. I have met Allen Yuan many times 20 years ago. I can say he was a pure heart church leader. My local church in Beijing Inherits some of their spiritual heritage.

Prayers and Care for Chinese church and Evangilism are very appreciated.

1687071528736.jpeg

Allen Yuan and his wife (Liang HuiZhen) ,and his saying: "Better a broken jade than a complete ruin"

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

Watchman Nee also championed the independent church in China. He refused to tie himself to any denomination, at a cost to himself and the work. He was championed by the Brethren for a time. They were offended when he visited a well known preacher who was not of the Brethren.

Reactions: Pioneer3mm
Upvote 0

Yusuphhai

Oct 19, 2005
Beijing China
✟170,860.00
Country
China
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Watchman Nee also championed the independent church in China. He refused to tie himself to any denomination, at a cost to himself and the work. He was championed by the Brethren for a time. They were offended when he visited a well known preacher who was not of the Brethren.
Watchman Nee(倪柝声) is a famous person in Chinese and international Christianity. However, his theology and lifestyle are highly controversial in Chinese Christianity. Some people around him knew some truth about him, but non Chinese people do not know it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Yusuphhai

Oct 19, 2005
Beijing China
✟170,860.00
Country
China
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

Wang Zhiming (pastor 王志明)

1687000193133.png

王志明牧師雕像(英國威斯敏斯特大教堂)。王志明牧師,苗族,在1973年因為信仰被槍斃。後被國際基督教評為20世紀十大殉道者之一。
Statue of Reverend Wang Zhiming (Westminster Abbey, UK). Reverend Wang Zhiming, a Hmong ethnic , was shot dead in 1973 for his faith. Later, he was named one of the top ten martyrs of the 20th century by international Christianity.

Upvote 0

Yusuphhai

Oct 19, 2005
Beijing China
✟170,860.00
Country
China
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
One of my favorite song written by Chinese Christian

This song was written by a Chinese Christian named Ni Tuo-sheng??? (Watchman Nee) , who was ever put into prison for his faith and politics and died in it in 1972. Hope you like it. Though there is some argument about his life and theology, This is a beautiful poem.

My Lord I am waiting for your coming

this version is translated by me, sorry my English is not well enough.

My Lord I Am Waiting For Your Coming

My Lord I am waiting for your coming
For a very long time.
It seems my waiting will continue
Without ceasing.
I admire to see your face,
And hear your voice.
I hope to communicate with you
More closely than now.
Need I wait for several years again?
Then I will linger in my life,
Crying and missing you,
Till Lord you will come again.

Your congregation has waited for you
For too many ages,
From ancient time to now,
From centuries to centuries,
Being patient.
But you are still not coming.
I also have waited for you,
Since I was a Child
To now I am an elder.
Many of my friends when I was young
I can not see them again.
But you are still not coming.
Crying and missing you,

I have waited very tiredly,
I beg you to remember me.
Great trials make me complaining,
And forget to devote myself.
So I beg you don't delay any longer,
And come back soon.
I have been patient till today,
Indeed can not bear easily any more.
Crying and missing you,

All of distressed and pain of my heart
Can not stop for a short time,
And can not help anyone,
For you are not here with us.
Only when you come back,
And bring me to eternal heritage,
I will be satisfied in my heart.
Then I will forget all sufferings,
When I really see your face.
Crying and missing you,

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Yusuphhai

Oct 19, 2005
Beijing China
✟170,860.00
Country
China
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Good TV of Christianity (Taiwan)

Upvote 0