Prosperity gospel, the wrong motivation?

GingerBeer

Cool and refreshing with a kick!
Mar 26, 2017
Australia
✟119,825.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Why is it that prosperity preachers dont teach us to give out of love rather than material gain? Why is our motivation for giving so that we may receive material blessing rather than for sharing love with others? Is love not our motivation in these churches?
They do it to increase the amount of money given to their church and themselves. It is what TV evangelists do all the time. Basically it looks like greed.

Reactions: Dan61861
Upvote 0

YeshuaFan

Oct 19, 2018
Macomb
✟56,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
They do it to increase the amount of money given to their church and themselves. It is what TV evangelists do all the time. Basically it looks like greed.
Think it is Greed!

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It sure dont look like we see in scripture.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They get that money by selling books and they dont use it to support their ministry. They instead name it and beg it from people.
You are judging another man's usage of funds......I am only talking about truth. I can teach you to blab and grab and the wisest way to use it......I can also warn you that it will profit you nothing to gain the world and lose your soul. It is up to you, how you choose to use the knowledge you are given.

I would not look down on you either if you decided to use this gift for your own gain. And just because you decide to do this, doesn't make the gift bad and wrong.

Again, electricity isnt bad just because a child can accidentally die using it.....

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You are judging another man's usage of funds......I am only talking about truth. I can teach you to blab and grab and the wisest way to use it......I can also warn you that it will profit you nothing to gain the world and lose your soul. It is up to you, how you choose to use the knowledge you are given.

I would not look down on you either if you decided to use this gift for your own gain. And just because you decide to do this, doesn't make the gift bad and wrong.

Again, electricity isnt bad just because a child can accidentally die using it.....
No im judging doctrine. Name it and beg it doctrine

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are we thanking God now, that we are not like those greedy sinners over there? Was this the sentiment of Jesus and the apostles? Jesus came for those sinners......not us who think we are already righteous......And if we think ourselves unrighteous, what use it is to talk about another who is dabbling in a different type of unrighteousness than we are?

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No im judging doctrine. Name it and beg it doctrine
What about the Ask and you shall receive doctrine? Do you have an issue with this as well? Or do you feel that no one should ask for anything if a few people ask for everything?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What about the Ask and you shall receive doctrine? Do you have an issue with this as well? Or do you feel that no one should ask for anything if a few people ask for everything?
Depends on what we ask for, whether for our daily bread, or a mansion, luxurious cars, clothes, and private jet

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I say you can ask for any of these things and get it......what do you say?
Why ask God when i can just name it and beg others for it? Isnt that what prosperity preachers do?

James 4:When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why ask God when i can just name it and beg others for it? Isnt that what prosperity preachers do?

James 4:When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures.

Can you read their hearts and know what they pray? No, and your assertion is just an attack, nothing more

Upvote 0

His student

Jan 10, 2019
Northwest
✟48,602.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why is it that prosperity preachers dont teach us to give out of love rather than material gain? Why is our motivation for giving so that we may receive material blessing rather than for sharing love with others? Is love not our motivation in these churches?
I fully agree that the emphasis of some teachers seems to be financial gain for themselves. Most of them will be preaching giving to get material gain.

But other faith teachers preach as much or more about giving out of love as do other types of teachers who are not faith oriented.

It is well and good to criticize those teachers who have used the scripture teachings about sowing and reaping for their own exorbitant personal gain.

But if - in the name of warning believers about those people - one ignores the many scriptures about sowing and reaping, healing and receiving by faith which are the stock and trade of some of those greedy men - you are just as guilty of teaching wrong doctrine and undermining the faith of believers as are the folks on the other side whom you rightly criticize.

As teachers of the Word - we should take what is good from the teachings of the word of faith/prosperity types and teach them it to the congregation and leave the rest behind.

If we do that rather than just criticizing others we will be doing what is pleasing to the Lord.

Upvote 0