Proper understanding, purpose and use of icons?

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Okay, so a spin off question that is only marginally related to the original...

I see that both of you have icons of your patron saint included in your homes. I am curious how the Orthodox acquire a patron saint? Is it a personal choice? Assigned by a priest or spiritual father? Assigned by virtue of being baptized/chrismated on the saint’s feast day? Or how?

Thank you again for your patience with my ignorance...

usually choosing a patron saint is something you work out with your priest

Reactions: “Paisios”
Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
If I understand your question completely, the answer is: yes.

My patron saint is the same as my given name. There were multiple reasons; that there was a match was considered first. The relics of my patron saint were translated into the orthodox church on my birthday. Since I was charismated as an older adult (52) both my sponsor and priest thought it was appropriate.

usually choosing a patron saint is something you work out with your priest

I thank you both for your responses. Please bear with my ongoing questions. So @FenderTL5 , you say first that there was a “match”. Would it be too personal to ask in what way that match was found? And to @ArmyMatt , Father, what kind of considerations play into this choice?

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I thank you both for your responses. Please bear with my ongoing questions. So @FenderTL5 , you say first that there was a “match”. Would it be too personal to ask in what way that match was found? And to @ArmyMatt , Father, what kind of considerations play into this choice?
It's not too personal. Because of my age, My priest suggested that I start by looking at few "obvious" choices: What saints are commemorated on my birthday and/or date of Chrismation. Is there a saint with your (my) given name? When I told Father that an Orthodox saint with my given name was translated into the church on my birthday, I recall him saying (in effect, maybe not specifically), "it sounds like he's already been watching over you."

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

if you already have a saint name, if you feel a close veneration with one, if one has been at work already in your life, etc.

• Informative
Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
if you already have a saint name, if you feel a close veneration with one, if one has been at work already in your life, etc.
Thank you, Father.

(By the way, I have attended another Divine Liturgy, and once again was invited to breakfast with the priest and his family, and had another nice talk...I fear that he might tire of all my questions...as I do here...)

Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It's not too personal. Because of my age, My priest suggested that I start by looking at few "obvious" choices: What saints are commemorated on my birthday and/or date of Chrismation. Is there a saint with your (my) given name? When I told Father that an Orthodox saint with my given name was translated into the church on my birthday, I recall him saying (in effect, maybe not specifically), "it sounds like he's already been watching over you."
Thank you for the response. That does sound like it makes sense.

Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
My name is Laura - and St Laura of Córdoba is (I believe) the only canonized female Orthodox saint named Laura :) So I chose her.
Thank you for your response. I am unfamiliar with this saint, though I am in general awed by the faith and perseverance of the saints and martyrs, of whom I am only recently becoming aware. (Veneration of the saints, and by extension, telling their stories, has not been much of a part of the religious traditions to which I have been a part).

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
My name was chosen by my godfamily.

Later I asked them which St. Anastasia, but the only answer I had ever received was that it means Resurrection, so I guess I don't actually have a patron Saint.

I did read up on the most recignizeable St. Anastasia, who I found I had a lot in common with in some particular life circumstances, and I found an icon of her with two other Saints.

Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
My name was chosen by my godfamily.

Later I asked them which St. Anastasia, but the only answer I had ever received was that it means Resurrection, so I guess I don't actually have a patron Saint.

I did read up on the most recignizeable St. Anastasia, who I found I had a lot in common with in some particular life circumstances, and I found an icon of her with two other Saints.
Thank you for sharing. Most gracious.

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thank you, Father.

(By the way, I have attended another Divine Liturgy, and once again was invited to breakfast with the priest and his family, and had another nice talk...I fear that he might tire of all my questions...as I do here...)

I don't think you need worry that TAW will tire of your questions. :)

I know I asked probably a thousand or so, maybe more. And people were always kind to answer.

I enjoy answering questions. Sometimes I learn more in the process, it's good practice for me, and sometimes I get correction and clarification in the process by those who know more. I think it benefits all around.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thank you, Father.

nah, keep asking away!

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,092.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
My name is John, and when I started enquiring into Orthodoxy I was floored to discover I was born on the 'feast' day of the beheading of St John the Baptist. I put feast in quotes because it is actually a strict fast on that day :)

Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
My name is John, and when I started enquiring into Orthodoxy I was floored to discover I was born on the 'feast' day of the beheading of St John the Baptist. I put feast in quotes because it is actually a strict fast on that day :)
Thank you for sharing. A solemn and sad event for which to be named, but an honor to share the name of the forerunner of the Christ.

• Agree
Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums