martymonster

Veteran
Dec 15, 2006
✟175,709.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So, every minister you have heard has a problem with the truth. Odd. It appears to me the common variable here is not them.

When it goes against scripture, then it's a problem. Also, it doesn't matter how many people tout something as being true, if it's a lie, it's a lie.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
When it goes against scripture, then it's a problem. Also, it doesn't matter how many people tout something as being true, if it's a lie, it's a lie.
OK then. I'm sure you are a much better authority on the matter than all the ministers you've ever heard.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
During the late 1940's and well into the 1950's Charles Templeton was one of the leading evangelists in North America. He was a contemporary and close friend of Billy Graham and even travelled and roomed with him on joint crusades. Some, at the time, regarded him as a greater evangelist than Graham himself. In 1957, just following his greatest crusade ever, and after a long period of soul searching, he turned his back on his ministry and walked away from it. He said to himself, in effect, “how can I stand here and preach passionately to these people when I know that I am not preaching the truth.”
Charles Templeton was an agnostic.

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
09/08/2019 sunday worship and the preachers sermon is Are you ready.

After scripture reading from the niv the preacher went up on stage holding an niv bible while i was holding fast my 1769 kjv bible.
I had already pointed out the unsound verses of the niv to the eldership and deacons many times and had seen more than a few preachers that used niv bibles that were turned unto speaking fables.
2 tim 4:3-4
2 Timothy 4:3-4 King James Version (KJV)
3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;

4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

Posting a link to the video were an preacher is turned to the fable whinnie the poo at 11:15 in the video.
I pray that all churches use the recieved text bibles to edify the body of Christ

This cut and past video is from service 09-08-2019 and at 11:15 edifing the body of Christ with winnie the poo...

Are you Ready is the name of the sermon.

I read KJV, but only because I know it best. However, if you take the time to read other translations side by side and examine the Hebrew and Greek, you will find that every translation makes choices that better translated as something else, KJV included.

Reactions: Quasiblogo
Upvote 0

Quasiblogo

Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2007
Continental U.S.
✟971,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I usually wake up around 2 a.m. While it takes about 15 minutes for me to fall back asleep, I find that recalling Scriptures is deeply impacting. And I have to say, the Scriptures only come in KJV. I suppose there’s something about the lyrical, and with truth, that is so calming. I’ve been reading the NIV and Spanish-Castilian NVI when on my feet though. Guess I need to find an early version of NIV.

Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I can be pretty critical of TV preachers. But I can also manage to find something useful from them as well. I admit I don't like a few of those guys that basically constantly begs for money. It's like all he has to say is give me money give me money give me money.

Upvote 0

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Port town on west (tan sands) shore line of MI
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Christ is the authority, and they disagree with his teachings.
You're quite an authority. How come you aren't out there in the arena to rid us of their lies? You are so knowledgeable and if you are truly Christian you should use your miraculous knowledge to save the rest of us from them in your love for us.

• Agree
Reactions: topher694
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
While I can understand that some are upset with a Bible translation using gender neutral language, it does not concern me greatly. I prefer a translation as close to the original as possible but I am also fully aware that the Bible emerged out of an extremely patriarchal culture that did use very sexist language. Rather than trying to overcome this with a gender neutral translation, I think it better that people be aware of the cultural background. If they are unaware of the patriarchal context it could be damaging to both their faith and their human relationships.

Upvote 0

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Christ is the authority, and they disagree with his teachings.
Minister, pastors, priests, and such are human. They have a higher responsibility to God but they are human and imperfect just like you and me. If they are lying about the truths of Scripture rest assured, it is a guarantee that they will answer for it to Him; and a few will be doing so at the judgment for unbelievers, I fear. One must make sure that the church (minister) or TV Christian program is one which puts God's Word as the ultimate authority and quotes it frequently if one is desiring to hear truth. If one looks elsewhere it IS a given that truth will be scarce.

Upvote 0

martymonster

Veteran
Dec 15, 2006
✟175,709.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You're quite an authority. How come you aren't out there in the arena to rid us of their lies? You are so knowledgeable and if you are truly Christian you should use your miraculous knowledge to save the rest of us from them in your love for us.

People wouldn't listen anyway....they like lies.

Jer 5:29 Shall I not visit for these things? saith the LORD: shall not my soul be avenged on such a nation as this?
Jer 5:30 A wonderful and horrible thing is committed in the land;
Jer 5:31 The prophets prophesy falsely, and the priests bear rule by their means; and my people love to have it so: and what will ye do in the end thereof?

2Ti 4:2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.
2Ti 4:3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
2Ti 4:4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

People don't like the truth.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well, there's the thing called....The Scriptures!
Wow, that's crazy. So you mean that every minister you have ever heard has said out loud that they disagree with Christ's teachings and scripture? That's weird cause literally none of the ministers I've ever listened to have said that. Even the ones I disagree with.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,104.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
KJV Only people. They condemn all other translations and "cling" to their KJV.
It's the same with those who cling to their traditional ways of worship and resist change in their churches. For example, resisting any change from traditional hymns to more contemporary songs, or moving the church piano three metres to the left! One family left our church because we installed a data projector to use instead of hymn books!

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,104.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
KJV-only Cultists.....gotta love 'em!!
KJBmeme.png
Hey! If it was good enough for Jesus and Paul, it should be good enough for us! Hahahahahahahahaha! ^_^^_^^_^^_^^_^

Upvote 0

martymonster

Veteran
Dec 15, 2006
✟175,709.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Wow, that's crazy. So you mean that every minister you have ever heard has said out loud that they disagree with Christ's teachings and scripture? That's weird cause literally none of the ministers I've ever listened to have said that. Even the ones I disagree with.

The problem is not whether you read the scriptures or not, the problem is with your understanding of them.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,104.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Humbly, you cared enough about this topic to start a highly opinionated thread, but not to answer simple direct questions?

Here's something else for you to ponder. I doubt you'll respond, but for the record, observe what Paul does here:

For in Him we live and move and have our being - as also some of your own poets have said, 'for we are also His offspring.' -Acts 17:28​

Paul is quoting a heathen poet and using his words to advance the Gospel. In other words, he's employing fables. How does that square with your sensitivities?
Have you considered exactly why he said that to the Athenians? In actual fact, he used their own logic to show that the unknown God is the true Living God. He was using apologetics. If he'd have quoted the Jewish Old Testament, it would have meant nothing to them.

It is no different to Francis Schaeffer using the logic of philosophy to show that God is really "there" and He has communicated to mankind. Are we going to say that Schaeffer is wrong by doing that? In actual fact, Schaeffer won many more people to Christ through his teaching than any others who tried to win atheists through quoting Scripture!

Upvote 0

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
While I can understand that some are upset with a Bible translation using gender neutral language, it does not concern me greatly. I prefer a translation as close to the original as possible but I am also fully aware that the Bible emerged out of an extremely patriarchal culture that did use very sexist language. Rather than trying to overcome this with a gender neutral translation, I think it better that people be aware of the cultural background. If they are unaware of the patriarchal context it could be damaging to both their faith and their human relationships.

God designed and created a gender specific society. I can see how being politically correct is attractive. First of all, the HEAVY responsibility upon the man being the head of the household is removed for those men not wanting that responsibility and for the prideful woman it grants them the opportunity to usurp verses relative to submission and teaching/preaching in church. Really, I PERSONALLY have no problem with a woman in charge and if you knew me and all of the experiences I have been through you would understand that. But it is not what you or I feel is right; it is all about what God says and shows is right. He designed the blueprints for and created us, male and female, and clearly made that distinction throughout Scripture. The world, satan, has performed an excellent deception and delusion probably going back all the way to the exit from the Garden that man was supposed to dominate woman in a ruthless, unloving manner. But going back farther to the creation of woman we see that she was created for man because of his inadequacy. She was created to be a helper for man, a "helpmeet" to make him whole and complete in a way that all of the animals failed and through their becoming one flesh they had an intimate relationship which was dependent upon and harmonized in glorious ecstasy their different sexes which, by design, was the only way to propagate and sustain humanity. Yes, God did design humanity to be GENDER-SPECIFIC. Dare a mere human, regardless of position, think that they know better than Him and exclude that important fact from the Bible?

Last edited:
Upvote 0