Bungle_Bear

Whoot!
Mar 6, 2011
✟254,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
'Barmy'(stupid) and 'faff' (unproductive intellectual effort) are familiar as is 'chuffed' meaning very pleased. Ligger was new to me, but apparently it means 'someone who goes to free events organized by companies that are trying to promote a product, service, or event because of the food, drink etc available there'. (LIGGER (noun) definition and synonyms | Macmillan Dictionary)

OB
I'd never come across ligger either. Digging a bit more it appears to be from Leeds. Spent 4 years at university there in the late 80s, but don't recall hearing the word.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟240,660.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Feeding and diet
Stories of kill sites and examination of scats suggest mainly medium to large species of mammal make a substantial proportion of the animal's diet. Often, prey such as macropods are larger than the Drop Bear itself.

Drop Bears supposedly hunt by ambushing ground dwelling animals from above, waiting up to as much as four hours to make a surprise kill. Once prey is within view, the Drop Bear will drop as much as eight metres to pounce on top of the unsuspecting victim. The initial impact often stuns the prey, allowing it to be bitten on the neck and quickly subdued.

If the prey is small enough Drop Bears will haul it back up the tree to feed without harassment from other predators.
These details of dietary habits and hunting techniques answer the question that has long puzzled me. Why are there no wild haggis in Australia. Now I know. (I'm chuffed.)

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,642.00
Faith
Atheist
'Barmy'(stupid) and 'faff' (unproductive intellectual effort) are familiar as is 'chuffed' meaning very pleased. Ligger was new to me, but apparently it means 'someone who goes to free events organized by companies that are trying to promote a product, service, or event because of the food, drink etc available there'. (LIGGER (noun) definition and synonyms | Macmillan Dictionary)
Yes, I'm familiar with 'chuffed' ("I was well chuffed"). Apparently 'Ligger' is also rock band slang for a lazy roadie or a backstage hanger-on.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟990,410.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Yes, I'm familiar with 'chuffed' ("I was well chuffed"). Apparently 'Ligger' is also rock band slang for a lazy roadie or a backstage hanger-on.

I often think that English has far more words than it needs.

OB

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟176,930.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
I often think that English has far too many words than it needs.
Its an interesting point .. I guess pronunciation of those words would then act to increase that feeling too, eh?

Are there too many Uranuses in the universe than it needs? ;)

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,642.00
Faith
Atheist
I often think that English has far too many words than it needs.
Ironically, that may be a result of losing the distinction between words with similar meanings. So as we lose nuance from the language we're left with redundant words... it literally drives me up the wall ;)

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟990,410.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Ironically, that may be a result of losing the distinction between words with similar meanings. So as we lose nuance from the language we're left with redundant words... it literally drives me up the wall ;)
That's a very unique way of explaining the issue :)

OB

Upvote 0

Bungle_Bear

Whoot!
Mar 6, 2011
✟254,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
More often than not that's because the dissimilitude causes the words to become extraneous, which then renders them superfluous.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jaxxi

Half-ready for Anything.....
Jul 29, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
✟50,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
As a long-time Brit, that's the first time I've heard of 'chuffer' or 'ligger'...

I've heard of 'chuff' though - often used indirectly, such as "... tight as a gnat's chuff"
Sounds like an orface. I won't go there.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I often think that English has far more words than it needs.

OB

English is the Borg of languages. We assimilate all the words, and make them part of our own. Resistance is futile.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Jaxxi

Jul 29, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
✟50,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
English is the Borg of languages. We assimilate all the words, and make them part of our own. Resistance is futile.

-CryptoLutheran
I have heard that when Supernatural beings talk to us, their language is so more advanced than ours but they are supernatural so they merely think what they want to say and it is conveyed to us in our own language so we can understand it but they are not actually speaking English. It is conveyed into whatever language the human understands.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,642.00
Faith
Atheist
I have heard that when Supernatural beings talk to us, their language is so more advanced than ours but they are supernatural so they merely think what they want to say and it is conveyed to us in our own language so we can understand it but they are not actually speaking English. It is conveyed into whatever language the human understands.
A psychologist might say that it's just the unconscious talking... A more parsimonious explanation.

Upvote 0

Jaxxi

Jul 29, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
✟50,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Upvote 0