May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
So many great jokes that we can't tell here.
Here's one I think we can get away with:

They both circle Uranus looking for Klingons.

• Agree
Reactions: Jaxxi
Upvote 0

sjastro

May 14, 2014
✟273,724.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That is rather judgemental. Us "AMERICANS" are all very very different and there is no way you can bunch us all together like we are all the same. That is just foolish.
It was meant to be humorous.
I thought the subject of drop bears would have made that obvious.

• Haha
Upvote 0

Jaxxi

Half-ready for Anything.....
Jul 29, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
✟50,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
It was meant to be humorous.
I thought the subject of drop bears would have made that obvious.
Once again....AMERICAN! No reference to " drop bears". Are those like marijuana edibles? I have never heard of them. They sound fake

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟981,266.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
That is rather judgemental. Us "AMERICANS" are all very very different and there is no way you can bunch us all together like we are all the same. That is just foolish.

@sjastro might be right Jacqueline (NOT Jaxxi :)). Americans generally have a reputation for not knowing a lot about the world beyond the US. I see this a lot in CF where many Americans are not aware how the country rates on a variety of criteria. I'm not sure how real this is since I haven't seen any solid research. My brother lives in the US and he often comments about US news being about the US and little else. It's sort of understandable since the US is big geographically and in population. One common observation is that Americans don't tend to travel outside the country as much as other people, in developed countries, do (including Australians).

This article, written by an American, talks about a view of American insularity.
Researcher Says Americans Are "Deluded" Regarding What They Know About the Rest of the World - University at Buffalo
OB

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟981,266.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Once again....AMERICAN! No reference to " drop bears". Are those like marijuana edibles? I have never heard of them. They sound fake

Fake!?!? Last year we lost 3 tourists to drop bear attack.
This is the entry in the Australian Museum website covering the diet, habits and distribution of drop bears (Thylarctos plummetus) in Australia.

Drop Bear (australian.museum)

OB

Upvote 0

Jaxxi

Jul 29, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
✟50,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
@sjastro might be right Jacqueline (NOT Jaxxi :)). Americans generally have a reputation for not knowing a lot about the world beyond the US. I see this a lot in CF where many Americans are not aware how the country rates on a variety of criteria. I'm not sure how real this is since I haven't seen any solid research. My brother lives in the US and he often comments about US news being about the US and little else. It's sort of understandable since the US is big geographically and in population. One common observation is that Americans don't tend to travel outside the country as much as other people, in developed countries, do (including Australians).

This article, written by an American, talks about a view of American insularity.
Researcher Says Americans Are "Deluded" Regarding What They Know About the Rest of the World - University at Buffalo
OB
That could be true for the most part because America is beautiful and we don't need to leave the country to find different cultures and variety. However our news media is doing us a major injustice as you are right...we don't know much about what goes on outside our country, for that we have BBC and our public broadcast station which keeps us up on world topics that they feel we need to know, but nothing fun or diverse really. Sorry for getting defensive! I didnt even know what that word meant, but it sounded like a stereotype. Turns out it is correct. They keep us a little self-centered and it rubs off I guess. The sad part is it actually takes someone to point it out to us for us to realize that it's that bad.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟952,359.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This is the entry in the Australian Museum website covering the diet, habits and distribution of drop bears (Thylarctos plummetus) in Australia.
Do you guys have snipe hunts over there? That was a proud Boy Scout tradition over here (back when we had Boy Scouts...). ⚜️

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Occams Barber

Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟981,266.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Do you guys have snipe hunts over there? That was a proud Boy Scout tradition over here (back when we had Boy Scouts...). ⚜️
I've heard of a snipe hunt but usually in an American context. I've never heard of the joke being used here although I wasn't a Boy Scout.

It's not unusual here for the new apprentice to be sent off to find a left handed screwdriver or unsweetened sugar. I once totally confused my local hardware store when I asked for a litre of dehydrated water. :)

OB

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

Jaxxi

Jul 29, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
✟50,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

OB
This is what I found.

The drop bear (sometimes dropbear), assigned the fictional scientific name Thylarctos plummetus, is a hoax in contemporary Australian folklore featuring a predatory, carnivorous version of the koala (Phascolarctos cinereus). This imaginary animal is commonly spoken about in tall tales designed to scare tourists.

• Informative
Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟981,266.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
This is what I found.

The drop bear (sometimes dropbear), assigned the fictional scientific name Thylarctos plummetus, is a hoax in contemporary Australian folklore featuring a predatory, carnivorous version of the koala (Phascolarctos cinereus). This imaginary animal is commonly spoken about in tall tales designed to scare tourists.

I don't know where you're getting this stuff from but the link I gave you was to the actual Australian Museum.

Feeding and diet
Stories of kill sites and examination of scats suggest mainly medium to large species of mammal make a substantial proportion of the animal's diet. Often, prey such as macropods are larger than the Drop Bear itself.

Drop Bears supposedly hunt by ambushing ground dwelling animals from above, waiting up to as much as four hours to make a surprise kill. Once prey is within view, the Drop Bear will drop as much as eight metres to pounce on top of the unsuspecting victim. The initial impact often stuns the prey, allowing it to be bitten on the neck and quickly subdued.

If the prey is small enough Drop Bears will haul it back up the tree to feed without harassment from other predators.

Would an actual Museum lie to you??
OB

• Agree
Upvote 0

sjastro

May 14, 2014
✟273,724.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You have proven my point about being insular.

An Australian Standard (AS) the number which I can't remember was developed for protective attire when handling dropbears.

dropbear.jpg

Tourists are expected to dress this way when venturing into dropbear territory or risk heavy fines.
The European Union has adopted the standard as an ISO standard while the USA has incorporated it under an ASTM number.

Upvote 0

fwGod

Dec 19, 2005
✟65,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The astronomers and physicists pronounce it: "Yurr-en-us". I immediately hear 'urine'. So that's no good for me to use.

In the Bible the Greek word Ouranos means heaven. You can see a portion of uranus in it. So it could be pronounced er-on-us. Because pronouncing it like "you're on us" is subject to snickers too.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jaxxi

Jul 29, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
✟50,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I don't know where you're getting this stuff from but the link I gave you was to the actual Australian Museum.

Feeding and diet
Stories of kill sites and examination of scats suggest mainly medium to large species of mammal make a substantial proportion of the animal's diet. Often, prey such as macropods are larger than the Drop Bear itself.

Drop Bears supposedly hunt by ambushing ground dwelling animals from above, waiting up to as much as four hours to make a surprise kill. Once prey is within view, the Drop Bear will drop as much as eight metres to pounce on top of the unsuspecting victim. The initial impact often stuns the prey, allowing it to be bitten on the neck and quickly subdued.

If the prey is small enough Drop Bears will haul it back up the tree to feed without harassment from other predators.

Would an actual Museum lie to you??
OB
Whatever. We don't have them here.

Upvote 0

Jaxxi

Jul 29, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
✟50,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
You have proven my point about being insular.

An Australian Standard (AS) the number which I can't remember was developed for protective attire when handling dropbears.

dropbear.jpg

Tourists are expected to dress this way when venturing into dropbear territory or risk heavy fines.
The European Union has adopted the standard as an ISO standard while the USA has incorporated it under an ASTM number.
Yeah well I am in Phoenix Arizona so they are just another animal I will never see in my lifetime. But they are cute for you to experience.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,229.00
Faith
Atheist
Oh I see, well it isn't in America. You guys use words like Barmy, Faff, Chuffer and Ligger. If you call someone a Ligger in America you might get shot.
As a long-time Brit, that's the first time I've heard of 'chuffer' or 'ligger'...

I've heard of 'chuff' though - often used indirectly, such as "... tight as a gnat's chuff"

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟981,266.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
As a long-time Brit, that's the first time I've heard of 'chuffer' or 'ligger'...

I've heard of 'chuff' though - often used indirectly, such as "... tight as a gnat's chuff"

'Barmy'(stupid) and 'faff' (unproductive intellectual effort) are familiar as is 'chuffed' meaning very pleased. Ligger was new to me, but apparently it means 'someone who goes to free events organized by companies that are trying to promote a product, service, or event because of the food, drink etc available there'. (LIGGER (noun) definition and synonyms | Macmillan Dictionary)

OB

Upvote 0