Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Good question , pro-lifers can go to pro-life areas of country, while pro-choice folks can go to the west coast or north east.
...and for those who refuse to up root their lives over one political issue?

Upvote 0

Orthodoxjay1

Sep 21, 2015
✟58,504.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
...and for those who refuse to up root their lives over one political issue?

People migrate all the time, very few in this country live on the same block they grew up on. More and more, it been shown people are moving more towards areas where there are People with agreements on politics & culture.

Just look at Abortion, I see murder of human life, you see removing a a mere fetusus from a body, that impossible to reconcile.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,173,483.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
People migrate all the time, very few in this country live on the same block they grew up on. More and more, it been shown people are moving more towards areas where there are People with agreements on politics & culture.

However they are not compelled to do so inorder to relocate to the designated segregation zones based on one issue.

Just look at Abortion, I see murder of human life, you see removing a a mere fetusus from a body, that impossible to reconcile.
But in no way demands that I sell my property and relocate to another state because my opinion on one issue differs from prevailing views.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

And if your state went pro-choice, how long before you pack up and move?

A year? A month?

Upvote 0

Orthodoxjay1

Sep 21, 2015
✟58,504.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
And if your state went pro-choice, how long before you pack up and move?

A year? A month?

That a good question , it all depends on the means for one to move, this is why I support the government helping relocation in any event of a breakup of the nation, then everyone can live according to their beliefs, liberals can live according to their progressive beliefs, Conservatives can live according to their traditionalist beliefs, moderates will live in purple areas, Libertarians can be deported to Somalia .. Just joking more likely they can try their free state project out in New Hampshire or Somewhere down in Texas.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
That a good question , it all depends on the means for one to move, this is why I support the government helping relocation in any event of a breakup of the nation, then everyone can live according to their beliefs, liberals can live according to their progressive beliefs, Conservatives can live according to their traditionalist beliefs, moderates will live in purple areas, Libertarians can be deported to Somalia .. Just joking more likely they can try their free state project out in New Hampshire or Somewhere down in Texas.

I didn't ask about "one," I asked about you.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
The topic isn't about me, you seem bothered by my proposal of a divorce between pro-life states and states that promote abortion.

You offered a possible solution -- I would like to see you apply it to a hypothetical situation... in order to eliminate any unknown variables, you can apply it to the person whose situation you know best of all: yourself.

Surely packing up and relocating can't be too much of a burden?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,173,483.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Vote FOR Calexit! A win-win for everybody.
Not a win for anyone really. The taker states *cough* AlabamaMississippiLouisiana*cough* now have a smaller donor tax base to draw from, the US economy is instantly 13% smaller, the republic of California now has to broker water deals with a less then receptive foreign country and build up its own armed forces.

Upvote 0

SPF

Feb 7, 2017
ATL
✟142,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Because they are not a rational agent and therefore it is not murder.
Can you provide a working definition of "rational agent" please? Because one might think that a 3 day old newborn is not a "rational agent", or a severely handicapped 10 year old is not a "rational agent". Those of us who have had family members go through Alzheimer might also think they are no longer "rational agents".

Upvote 0

Belk

Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟895,643.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Can you provide a working definition of "rational agent" please? Because one might think that a 3 day old newborn is not a "rational agent", or a severely handicapped 10 year old is not a "rational agent". Those of us who have had family members go through Alzheimer might also think they are no longer "rational agents".

You would be incorrect. All of those are capable of making choices.

Rational agent - Wikipedia

Upvote 0

SPF

Feb 7, 2017
ATL
✟142,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
You would be incorrect. All of those are capable of making choices.

Rational agent - Wikipedia
Since you chose to provide a link as opposed to a working definition, am I right to assume you accept the definition provide by Wikipedia?

"a rational agent is an agent that has clear preferences, models uncertainty via expected values of variables or functions of variables, and always chooses to perform the action with the optimal expected outcome for itself from among all feasible actions. A rational agent can be anything that makes decisions, typically a person, firm, machine, or software."

Upvote 0

Belk

Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟895,643.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Since you chose to provide a link as opposed to a working definition, am I right to assume you accept the definition provide by Wikipedia?

"a rational agent is an agent that has clear preferences, models uncertainty via expected values of variables or functions of variables, and always chooses to perform the action with the optimal expected outcome for itself from among all feasible actions. A rational agent can be anything that makes decisions, typically a person, firm, machine, or software."

It is likely close enough for a discussion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Belk

Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟895,643.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Can you then explain how a 2 hour old newborn fits the definition as a rational agent?

It makes decisions based on input. For example if it is hungry it decides to vocalize it's complaint.

And do you have children?

I do not

Upvote 0

Belk

Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟895,643.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Are you suggesting that murder is a term that can only apply to rational agents?

No, I'm suggesting the laws on murder can only apply to rational agents. People are capable of applying terms to all kinds of silly things. "Tree murderer" for example.

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Note: I am not here to debate the morality of abortion, but rather, the legality of it and the hypocrisy of the ¨pro-life¨ movement.
As many would not be here to debate whether cruel mutilation and murder of children are right. There is no real debate, there are only decisions made.

I have noticed that the so-called pro-life movement is, for the most part, divorced from reality. It is devoid of critical thinking, empathy,
They have empathy for the women who suffer mental torture, and greater suicide rates etc. and the babies who are hacked and burned and cut to bits (or however else they sacrifice them). What is your idea of empathy, to abandon love, God and reason and all that is decent in the world and cheer on the perpetrators of this mass murder??
and understanding why people get abortions and is instead full of insults and appeals to emotion
Many of us are not that concerned with why the Manson murders took place or the 'rational' inside the mind of murderers. Sorry, that is not priority one here.
. If the ¨pro-life¨ movement really cared about life, it would have:
..basically done anything else BUT try to save babies and now even children after birth apparently from destruction? They would have instead spent their money on your liberal preferences .. hilarious.
Instead, the ¨pro-life¨ movement did the exact opposite of what I listed. There is nothing Christian about forcing people to have babies and then ditching them.
Does not God send babies? Do you think believing He does is 'unchristian'? Do you think that NOT slaying the people God sends is forcing people to have babies?

In addition, they lack empathy towards rape victims.
I doubt that. The concern many believers have for victims of crime and violence is not expressed as a carte blanche permit to criminals and killers and rapists to continue in crime! Their concern would be to (hopefully) help the victims and try to limit or stop the crimes.

Upvote 0