the rust belt
✟5,120.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
You start with presuppositions that are not supported by observation.
You believe that matter spontaneously came to be and has since become spontaneously arranged in more and more complex ways, spontaneously increasing available information and energy.

I'm just being honest here, I think that's absurd.

Upvote 0

Ellinas

Dec 30, 2009
✟727.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
You believe that matter spontaneously came to be and has since become spontaneously arranged in more and more complex ways, spontaneously increasing available information and energy.

Matter comes from energy and energy cannot be destroyed nor created. So yes! Matter can appear since energy exists. like the formula says: E=mc2.

HOUSE WAS RIGHT!

Upvote 0

Cabal

Jul 22, 2007
London
✟30,012.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
You believe that matter spontaneously came to be

No - we do not know what existed pre-big bang - and no-one is claiming that it is spontaneous either.

(Preemptive: And it wasn't "from nothing" either.)

and has since become spontaneously arranged in more and more complex ways, spontaneously increasing available information and energy.

Second Law of Thermodynamics, we has it.

Maybe don't strawman then? :wave:

Upvote 0

3sigma

Jan 9, 2008
✟3,007.00
Faith
Atheist
No, I did not say that religious believers trust in something they don't believe is real. They (some of them) trust in something about which they have insufficient data to know for certain whether it's real.
Do religious believers trust in their God? Do religious believers commit to their God? Do religious believers believe their God is real? Is there any sound, objective evidence their God is real? If not then their belief is the result of credulity.

Yet here you are, expressing beliefs without any sound, objective evidence (your impression of internet posters' motives is neither sound nor objective evidence), and in fact rejecting evidence when it's offered (I'm a religious believer, and I see no way of determining to what extent my religious commitments are to something real).
Do you believe your God is real? I suspect you do. Is there any sound, objective evidence your God is real? No, there isn’t. Your belief is the result of credulity.

And as I said, the core belief of many atheists is that an uncaused universe is real, despite a complete lack of sound, objective evidence supporting that belief. Why is that not credulity?
It isn’t credulity because there is plenty of sound, objective evidence to show that the universe is real. I don’t think atheists believe the universe was uncaused. We don’t know the cause and we certainly don’t credulously believe that “God did it” without a single shred of sound, objective evidence to support that belief.

The only justified position is "I don't know." And that is in fact my position. What's credulous about it?
So you don’t know whether your God is real or not? I suspect you do believe your God is real despite there being a complete lack of sound, objective evidence supporting that belief. That belief is the result of credulity.

Sure, I think it's likely that fear of death drives much religious belief. But I'm not going to draw that conclusion until I have some sound, objective evidence, since that would be credulous of me. So present some sound, objective evidence, please.
Religious believers tend to be driven by their emotions, particularly fear and anxiety. Religions pander to those fears and exploit them. Christianity seems to have refined this quite well.

Christians confirm their insecurity with their incessant desire for, obsession with and talk about being saved. It is the insecure who constantly yearn to be saved.

Are you anxious about whether you will enter heaven? Don’t worry, your religion teaches that someone else was executed to pay for your sins. Are you afraid of dying? Don’t worry, your religion teaches that you will never really die. Are you living in squalor and hardship? Don’t worry, your religion teaches that you are going to a better place. Are you beginning to lose your religious belief? Your religion teaches you to fear the hell of eternal torture that awaits non-believers. Religions exploit the fear and anxiety of their followers.

Religious beliefs are used as a shield against the harshness of reality. You can see this in religious language, which is rife with euphemisms. For example, ‘faith’ in the sense of belief without sound evidence is a euphemism for credulity. Then there are all the euphemisms used to assuage the fear of death such as passed away, passed over, passed on, passed to the other side, gone to a better place, residing with God, gone to heaven, etc. There are euphemisms used to avoid admitting to self-deception; ‘faith’ again; ‘heart’, meaning emotion instead of reason (as in “facts acquired in the heart” or trust in your heart); ‘hope’, the confident expectation that the ludicrously implausible will occur (for instance, eternal life); ‘Truth’, meaning logical fallacies, misrepresentations and outright lies; and ‘visions’ for dreams and hallucinations.

Religions provide shallow answers to comfort shallow thinkers. Are you anxious about not knowing the answer to some question about nature and unable or unwilling to think about it? Don’t worry, just assume “God did it” and bask in the comfort of knowing you are right.

There are other examples I could provide, but these alone should be enough to show that religious belief is the result of a combination of insecurity and credulity. Religious believers are insecure enough to want to believe the comforting promises of religions and credulous enough to believe they are true.

Not until you present the evidence. I'm willing to accept "non-skeptics are more credulous than skeptics", but that's pretty much a matter of definition.
Are religious believers sceptical about the notion that their God is real? Have they withheld their belief until they have multiple, independent lines of sound, objective evidence to support it? Of course they haven’t. They are non-sceptics and hence more credulous than sceptics.

Not a chance. Both because you haven't begun to present any evidence to support it, and because I'm a believer and I don't consider myself credulous.
So you don’t consider yourself credulous? Tell me, do you have any sound, objective evidence at all that your God is real? No? But you believe it anyway, don’t you? If so then you are credulous.

So in support of your bald assertions about religious believers, you post a link to another post in which you make the same bald assertions?
The examples that I’ve given here support the assertion that religious believers tend to be driven by their emotions, particularly fear and anxiety.

You only need to read the posts from religious believers here or at FSTDT to confirm that they base their beliefs on logical fallacies, misapprehensions, personal experiences, feelings, anecdotes, weak evidence or none at all.

Finally, the assertion that religious beliefs are often held with intractable, absolute certainty also is confirmed by the posts here from religious believers as well as the recent Pew Forum U.S. Religious Landscape Survey.

Upvote 0

bricklayer

Dec 26, 2009
the rust belt
✟5,120.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Energy existing necessarily is as absurd as matter existing necessarily.
Given the law of increasing entropy, it may be even more absurd.

Spontaneous increase in available information, energy and complexity is absurd. It has never been observed. Absolutely everything we can observe operates in exactly the opposite manner.

The universe did not start out with necessarily existing energy somehow spontaneously evolving into complex matter/energy systems.

Upvote 0

Cabal

Jul 22, 2007
London
✟30,012.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Spontaneous increase in available information, energy and complexity is absurd. It has never been observed. Absolutely everything we can observe operates in exactly the opposite manner.

Uh, no it doesn't, and increases in complexity have been observed - it just depends on what scale you're observing at.

The universe did not start out with necessarily existing energy somehow spontaneously evolving into complex matter/energy systems.

For someone who claims to be openminded and obfuscates with language the whole time, this is somewhat of an absolute statement (with nothing to back it up, naturally).

Upvote 0

Ellinas

Dec 30, 2009
✟727.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Would you agree that in a hydrogen bomb explosion; Helium is spontaneously created from the fusion of hydrogen atoms? Proto-stars had a short life (Due to their size) and I think you know what goes on in a large star about to go supernova? It all depends on how you look at time! Creationists believe that from the genesis of the universe to the first human being created; took just 6 days! They obviously have no idea of the time scales involved in a universe coming into being and up to the time higher life forms appear!

Upvote 0

bricklayer

Dec 26, 2009
the rust belt
✟5,120.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
What happens in a bomb hardly happens spontaneously.
What you believe happens in stars is based on presuppositions that beg the answer you seek.
It is obvious, to me, that this is a universe going from maximum available complextity, information and energy to minimum. Mutation and extinction are evidenced, but I have no reason to believe that, on some niether-scale, it is all magically going the other way. I have no reason to doubt that this is a universe "winding down", "playing out". Absolutely everything I see confirms Max. to Min. flow to things. The popular idea that things are getting spontaneously more complex seems wildly ridiculous, to me.

Upvote 0

Psudopod

Godspeed, Spacebat
Apr 11, 2006
Bath
✟11,638.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
In Relationship
Energy existing necessarily is as absurd as matter existing necessarily.

Why?

Spontaneous increase in available information, energy and complexity is absurd.

Guess you've never seen it snow then.

No, it started out with energy, then the formation of elemematary particles as the universe cooled, then simple atoms and so on. All controlled by phyiscal forces.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cabal

Jul 22, 2007
London
✟30,012.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
What happens in a bomb hardly happens spontaneously.
What you believe happens in stars is based on presuppositions that beg the answer you seek.
It is obvious, to me, that this is a universe going from maximum available complextity, information and energy to minimum. Mutation and extinction are evidenced, but I have no reason to believe that, on some niether-scale, it is all magically going the other way. I have no reason to doubt that this is a universe "winding down", "playing out". Absolutely everything I see confirms Max. to Min. flow to things. The popular idea that things are getting spontaneously more complex seems wildly ridiculous, to me.

Again, it depends entirely on the scale. Entropy can be reversed within open systems.

A refrigerator refutes your generalisation.

(If you want to talk about the universe in its entirety, then fine, although both of us would only be able to speculate here. But generalising this to claiming that it's impossible on any scale is just ridiculous).

Upvote 0

bricklayer

Dec 26, 2009
the rust belt
✟5,120.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Refrigeration does not happen spontaneously.

The alignment of ice crystals hardly quailies as an increase in complexity.

We all start with presuppositions that ultimately determine what we find.
I do not start with the same presuppositions as most ie. material-spacial-energenic necessity.

I am left to believe that the God of the bible exists necessarily and that everything else is contingent.

It is very strange to live among people who see things so very differently.
It makes me very greatful.

Knowledge of God is a gift from God and cannot be achived by human effort. I am left to believe what I am left to believe, because I too am a contingent being.

Upvote 0

sandwiches

Mas sabe el diablo por viejo que por diablo.
Jun 16, 2009
Dallas, Texas
✟22,030.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

'Coldness' does happen spontaneously all over the universe and rather frequently I might add.

But honest people will modify those presuppositions when presented with evidence that contradicts them.

I do not start with the same presuppositions as most ie. material-spacial-energenic necessity.
I do not start with the same presuppositions you do, either. Yet we can probably agree on what an apple is because reality always trumps beliefs or ideas.

I am left to believe that the God of the bible exists necessarily and that everything else is contingent.
Why?

It is strange indeed.

Ditto. Makes me grateful that I at least try to see things for what they most likely are, not what I wish them to be.

Knowledge of God is a gift from God and cannot be achived by human effort. I am left to believe what I am left to believe, because I too am a contingent being.
No. You believe that because you wish to believe that. Simple.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Cabal

Jul 22, 2007
London
✟30,012.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats

Well, when you fail to define your terms as you have.....:wave:

Nonetheless, crystallisation is a highly ordered state of matter that arises naturally. What's more, you don't even have to reverse entropy to do it.

You keep saying that, but between every post where you say that you keep making incredibly wrong statements. You seem a little too quick to jump to this conclusion.

Save your patronising for elsewhere.

You can't really claim your knowledge is acquired this passively when you actively reject any criticism of your approach or your scientific knowledge. That is an active rejection of knowledge, essentially.

Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟345,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I started a long, detailed reply, but gave up because it seemed pointless. It boils down to this:

So you don’t know whether your God is real or not? I suspect you do believe your God is real despite there being a complete lack of sound, objective evidence supporting that belief. That belief is the result of credulity.

Here's the situation: On the one hand, I have had the experience of living inside my own skull for the past 50 years, introspecting like anything. After all of that experience, I can state with great confidence that I really don't know whether God exists or not(*). On the other hand, you know nothing about me, my beliefs or experiences, but you think you know what I really believe better than I do.

There's really nothing to discuss here. You have a mental scheme for understanding the world, and you simply don't care whether real people fit it or not.

(*) This isn't the way I would prefer to state the question, but it will do for this discussion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟345,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This is one of the many things you keep repeating that's blatantly wrong. Some scientists presuppose that the physical world is necessary. Some scientists firmly believe the physical world is contingent (and in fact created by God). Lots of scientists neither know nor care whether the world is necessary or contingent. And the funny thing is, they all do the same science regardless of their presuppositions, and they all (with vanishingly few exceptions) reach similar conclusions. Among those conclusions is that life has evolved from a common ancestor over long periods of time.

They reach that conclusion because that's where the evidence points. You reject that conclusion, but not because of any presuppositions you have about the necessity or contingency of physical things -- those presuppositions are irrelevant to this conclusion. You seem to have just decided at some point that you didn't like evolution, without knowing anything about it, and so you reject it.

Upvote 0

sandwiches

Jun 16, 2009
Dallas, Texas
✟22,030.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
This is one of the many things you keep repeating that's blatantly wrong. Some scientists presuppose that the physical world is necessary. Some scientists firmly believe the physical world is contingent (and in fact created by God). Lots of scientists neither know nor care whether the world is necessary or contingent. And the funny thing is, they all do the same science regardless of their presuppositions, and they all (with vanishingly few exceptions) reach similar conclusions. Among those conclusions is that life has evolved from a common ancestor over long periods of time.

They reach that conclusion because that's where the evidence points. You reject that conclusion, but not because of any presuppositions you have about the necessity or contingency of physical things -- those presuppositions are irrelevant to this conclusion. You seem to have just decided at some point that you didn't like evolution, without knowing anything about it, and so you reject it.
I have to say that, even when I disagree with you, it's always a pleasure reading your posts. They're always insightful, composed, and clear.

Upvote 0

sandwiches

Jun 16, 2009
Dallas, Texas
✟22,030.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
One must employ presuppositional reasoning to deny presuppositional reasoning.
Any attempt to explictly deny presuppositional reasoning implicitly affirms it.
It is literally undeniable.

That's only your presupposition.

Upvote 0

bricklayer

Dec 26, 2009
the rust belt
✟5,120.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
All reasoning is presupposition extrapolated.
Even sound reasoning is just presupposition extrapolated logically,
even God's reasoning.
If God has no sequence of ideas, knowing all necessarily,
one can say that all of God's ideas are presuppositions.

I have no contention with any of the reasoning I've read here.
It is with the presuppositions upon which they are based that I differ.

There are very few thing which I hold to be self-evident,
among them are:
existence
identity
non-contradiction
exclusion
causality
necessity
contingency
Existential; causality, necessity and contingency
analogy
and the correspondence of truth

These are my base presuppositions.
From here, if the object is not reducible to the subject, I reject it.

Upvote 0