Take a left at the milky way and you'll run right
✟1,194.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Okay, I posted this in the wide world of sports forum and it was suggested that I come here and post.

I have to start a preseason training program. My coach is e-mailing me a weight lifting program, supposidly, but I need some ideas for cardio things. I have bad knees and so I can't really run. Do you guys have any suggestions for a good cardio work out? Oh! This is for swimming! Thanks for any suggestions!

Spicy McHaggis

I don't know nothin 'bout birthin no babies
Apr 30, 2002
Chicagoland
✟29,799.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Mountain biking is a pretty good one. It's more like interval training than road biking is. You have to jam to get up hills, then back off a little on the way down. Plus your arms get a great isometric workout.

Rollerblading is IMO, not as good as running or jogging for the cardio aspect, but there's definately less impact.

Upvote 0
Wypadek said:
Okay, I posted this in the wide world of sports forum and it was suggested that I come here and post.

I have to start a preseason training program. My coach is e-mailing me a weight lifting program, supposidly, but I need some ideas for cardio things. I have bad knees and so I can't really run. Do you guys have any suggestions for a good cardio work out? Oh! This is for swimming! Thanks for any suggestions!

Anything that gets your blood pumping can be considered cardio. I know someone who carries large/heavy stones like in WSM for cardio every mourning before he eats his first meal!

Upvote 0

Blake

Musically Challenged
Jul 1, 2003
Vanuatu
Visit site
✟8,045.00
Faith
Christian
There are glider machines out there somewhere, they supposedly are zero impact machines. The down side is the expense if you don't already have a gym membership.

Correct me if I'm wrong, isn't swimming laps a cardio exercise? It is a full body workout in itself and as far as I know its one of the best.

Upvote 0

Wypadek

Just call me Pad
Mar 10, 2002
Take a left at the milky way and you'll run right
✟1,194.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
it is a cadio workout, but I want to other things to. I do have a membership to a gym, as of right now, I start out doing biking, then I stretch and do weight lifting stuff, then I stretch again and get into the pool, but that can get a bit boring. The weight lifting I do is all on machines. I do stuff for my arms, abs, quads, and hams right now. I'm still waiting for the strength training program from my coach, so I'm kinda making it up as I go along.

Upvote 0

Blake

Musically Challenged
Jul 1, 2003
Vanuatu
Visit site
✟8,045.00
Faith
Christian
I've gotten some good advice on my weightlifting post.

Here is a weightlifting article: http://exrx.net/WeightTraining/LowVolumeTraining.html

Also, www.exrx.net has some workout templates on it and alot of great information on different types of lits with pictures using proper form.

I'm not too sure of any zero impact cardio besides the gliders. But, to add some variety to your rutine try running on grass its lower impact than a street or track and put some gel pads in your shoes for extra support.

Upvote 0

Acceptance

sugar and spice
Sep 7, 2003
Chicago suburbs
Visit site
✟1,440.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Republican
As a physical therapist, I would like to offer a peice of advice to you. You mentioned all the muscle groups you've been targeting, but you forgot a very important one...your back. The back is very frequently overlooked when weight training, leaving your trunk muscles imbalanced and thus leaving your body more susceptible to injury.

One other thing you need to be really careful of if you choose to run on grass is looking out for dips/holes/tiny hills all of which can easily sprain an ankle, injure a knee, etc. The safest thing to run on is a track.

Upvote 0

Acceptance

sugar and spice
Sep 7, 2003
Chicago suburbs
Visit site
✟1,440.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Republican
If you have access to a gym, most have a peice of equipment that allows you to do back extension exercises (similar to a sit-up, but for your back, in that the only resistance you use is gravity). That is a good one, but make sure to execute controlled motions without flinging your body around.

Another idea is to get on the floor on your hands and knees (quadruped position) and, while not moving your pelvis (hips) slowly raise one arm and the opposite leg so they're in line with your back (elbow straight with bicep touching your ear; leg straight as if you could stand in that position if you were standing up). The trick of this exercise is maintaining pelvic alignment (not moving the pelvis) and executing the movements slowly. You would be surprised how many big, built guys I see that tremor (i.e. shake from weakness) when doing this exercise.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Job24

Jul 21, 2003
connecticut
✟1,790.00
Faith
Baptist
I have a disorder where my joints will eventually go bad ( thank the Lord that it has not happened yet)....

I use an eliptical machine, bike machine, swim...

or walk very fast on the tread mill.. that gets your heart rate up to 120 so that is a good amount...

I can only presume you are doing football and the thought is.. if your knees are bad now,, just wait until you are done playing football.

Upvote 0