Presbyterian Traditional vs. Contemporary?

fingerprint

Α†Ω
Mar 13, 2004
Seattle, WA
✟8,031.00
Faith
Catholic
In a church I am considering attending to see how I like it, called First Presbyterian Church, they have a Traditional Service from 9:30am to 10:30am Sundays and a Contemporary Service from 11:00am to 12:30am Sundays. Their website doesn't say what the difference is at all and why the Contemporary one is half an hour longer. Does anyone have any ideas what the differences might be? I'm new to the Presbyterian church and don't know which one I should attend. Maybe try one this week and the other one the next to see what I like better?

blessedbe

Learning everyday!
Feb 21, 2004
Ohio
✟8,464.00
Faith
Calvinist
I'm not presbyterian, but I think what they mean by contemporary worship is the singing is praise and worship music, not hymnals. As far as why the Contemporary one is half hour longer, maybe they sing for a longer time period. I'm betting that the actual "service" part of the church isn't any different, the difference is in the music. I now attend a community church that does praise and worship music pretty exclusively and I LOVE it. I really get alot more out of contemporary music then hymnals. I personally feel alot closer to God at the end of the music and ready to sit and learn during service. But that's just me.... :)
Anyway, maybe a presbyterian in here can answer you better!

Upvote 0

Wilfred of Ivanhoe

Lord, Humble Me
Jan 25, 2004
Texas
Visit site
✟1,635.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
fingerprint said:
In a church I am considering attending to see how I like it, called First Presbyterian Church, they have a Traditional Service from 9:30am to 10:30am Sundays and a Contemporary Service from 11:00am to 12:30am Sundays. Their website doesn't say what the difference is at all and why the Contemporary one is half an hour longer. Does anyone have any ideas what the differences might be? I'm new to the Presbyterian church and don't know which one I should attend. Maybe try one this week and the other one the next to see what I like better?

This wouldn't by chance be in Houston, would it?

Upvote 0

fingerprint

Α†Ω
Mar 13, 2004
Seattle, WA
✟8,031.00
Faith
Catholic
Yeah it's in Seattle.

My other question, besides the first one....is it ok to wear jeans to a Presbyterian Sunday service or do I need to wear slacks? I'd much prefer to wear jeans as we are going out to the movies and such after the service as part of our typical Sunday routine and want to be more comfortable. Do Presbyterian churches follow most other churches in the "God doesn't care what you wear" philosophy?

Upvote 0

blessedbe

Learning everyday!
Feb 21, 2004
Ohio
✟8,464.00
Faith
Calvinist
I can't answer for the dress code in the presbyterian churches, but I imagine it's pretty casual. I don't know of too many churches that have a strict dress code anymore, and besides, if this is your first visit, what can they do?? They can tell you to change your dress next week if you decide to come back, right?

anyway, good luck!!

Upvote 0

HiredGoon

Old School Presbyterian
Dec 16, 2003
✟4,843.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I go to a Presbyterian church (PCA). We have a contemporary service at 8:00am and a traditional service at 11:00am. The contemporary service has a worship team which leads more modern worship songs with a piano and guitars. The traditional service has a choir with organ music and hymns from the hymnal. The traditional service also has a psalter reading, a new testament reading, and we recite a creed, apostles or nicene.

As far as jeans, every church is different. At my church I wear jeans sometimes, but that's just my personality. I don't dress up, I hate to even tuck my shirt in, and I don't care what anyone thinks about what I wear.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums