• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Featured predestined

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by SayaOtonashi, Jan 28, 2019.

1. fhansen

fhansen Oldbie

+1,221
    Catholic
    Married
    Yes, but it makes no difference at all for us. From our perspective we don't know with any kind of perfect certainty whose names are written in the Book of Life and whose are not. So we must strive, we must work out our salvation with Him and the grace He gives us.

2. Mark Quayle

Mark Quayle Well-Known Member Supporter

+564
    United States
    Reformed
    Widowed
    Reminds me of the MacBeth, (Shakespeare) quandry. They "know" that the "fates" rule the results, but some try to work against the fates while others seem to think it is their duty to bring the results about. I think it is hilarious.

3. fhansen

fhansen Oldbie

+1,221
    Catholic
    Married
    Its equally funny to think we know our fate, to live as if we have no choice.

4. Halbhh

Halbhh Everything You say is Life to me Supporter

+4,584
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Do you mean double predestination?

5. sdowney717

sdowney717 Newbie

+1,947
    Christian
    Be as positive as Paul was about your election to know the truth and be saved. Ephesians 1 is meant to be of great consolation to believers so as to comfort them in the knowledge of the truth for the suffering and persecutions they were enduring for the sake of Christ. That their individual destiny was to live with God and Christ forever, as He had chosen them, their salvation from the present evil world system was certain.

6. Mark Quayle

Mark Quayle Well-Known Member Supporter

+564
    United States
    Reformed
    Widowed
    It makes a lot of difference to me. It fits perfectly with knowing this whole temporal life is for God's sake --not so much mine or anyone else's. God is shown to be ultimately responsible for all outcomes, (no, this does not deny that we are responsible for our choices), and since we know that the judge of all the earth will do what is right, and since we know that he is merciful, we need not fear that what is right will win in the end.

I can be satisfied and at peace --this does not depend on my performance, but on God. The same theme continues beyond salvation into sanctification. This is the work of God no matter how much it consumes me and drives my heart.

7. fhansen

fhansen Oldbie

+1,221
    Catholic
    Married
    Ok. But it was a level of assurance, and encouragement, not a guaranteed prediction regarding everyone who heard those words of his, as if each and every one of them necessarily were numbered among the elect. OTOH we have no reason to fear to the extent that we remain in Christ and persevere in follow His ways. I'm only saying not to put the cart ahead of the horse. Trust God, but then let Him be the final judge.