Praying for the Jarawas after Missionary chose to seek them out/invade their space

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
46706041_10103999969431223_5318258600190148608_n.jpg

46649439_10103999969486113_1642286453360689152_n.jpg

46634476_10103999970309463_1361598649666109440_n.jpg

46520447_10103999970119843_785275636963868672_n.jpg

Found out about them back in 2015 and was thankful for being able to connect with Survival International and Intercontinental Cry ( Jarawa News and Analysis on Intercontinental Cry ) on the work they do - shared on it here in "Global Indigenous Groups: What Aborginal Religions are your favorite?" ( Japanese Ainu & Global Indigenous Groups: What Aborginal Religions are your favorite? ) when doing research during my Masters on Indigenous groups. The Sentinelese are very complex individuals and I'm glad for the Twitter feed breaking some of the history down on the Islands - and I am praying for them. If Jesus is really the concern, folks can pray for encounters to happen in their lives just like other tribes have had when "The Man in White" or the Spirit of Jesus met them - and it was not about them ceasing to be Indigenous or Hunter Gatherer tribes.

These are beautiful People and praying for their rights to be respected and no witchcraft in the name of Christ done to them with insisting they NEEDED to receive a message that was brought in violation of their right to say "No thank you" and allowing violation of law and exposure to disease.

This has been a bad aspect of Imperial Christianity and I'm not down with it whatsoever - and thus gives more insight into the people who defended themselves ( ✡️ Josh Shahryar ☪️ on Twitter ) / ( Dead Missionary's Contact with Tribe Might Cause Their Extinction )
The original Asian people genetically and who have been studied for a long time in their history with the "Out of Africa" migrations that shifted world history. They have been peacefully living and if you asked their permission, they'd let you in while you still took all caution to not expose. But genetically endangered, it is sad to see a lot of dismissal to Indigeous people like this who don't want what the Western world has...who aren't 'savages' (as if we're more civilized when we do a world of mess).

God Forbid they got oil or something we want and use the death of a man as justification to remove their rights as Sovereign Nation who had a man invade their territory without permission and folks now see them as persecuting, in addition to the missionary claiming they were all 'Satanic' and needed Jesus - and the folks have already experienced kidnappings of their people ( Eight kidnapped Jarawa tribe girls rescued in Andaman - Firstpost ).

They were explicit for years asking to be left alone after having to deal with abuses on many levels (Jarawa Hunter-Gatherers Say They Don't Want to Be Part of Our World )

As said before: If others say "We're good so leave us be please" and God said to leave them be (as even Jesus walked away from Samaritan villages in Luke 9 who were hostile), it isn't love to go back insisting and being a martyr.

But that's what we're doing. It's like "Green Eggs and Ham" ethos thinking folks will love it in the end. It's not what St.Francis of Asssi did with the Sultan in the Crusades. It ain't what happened with Fr.Gabriel fighting on behalf of the natives enslaved by Spanish Empire using the Crown and the Church to justify erasure. And this happening on Thanksgiving is highly ironic after seeing so many say Christians don't care to be honest on the history for Indigeous and missions - especially if Natives led and found themselves facing the same mess.

As my friend Paul Favors said best: "At the core of this is the elitist White Savior complex that permeates much of Western methods of evangelism. It's war-like and minimizes consideration for the peoples being evangelized to the end that phrases like "taking nations for Christ" and "conquering lands for Jesus" are often repeated and celebrated.... Jesus never forced himself on anybody nor has he called us to do the same. The Father is perfectly capable of drawing people to Christ w/o that drawing being connected to a perceived threat of genocide or invasion. This is yet another area of our faith that needs to be decolonized on a broad scale."

Reactions: JackRT

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I side with the tribe on this. Its not like there was no warning or no one knew about what would happen. Its like in my wifes country, there are a few islands that still have various tribes. Two or three of the tribes DO NOT like outsiders at all. Not even the countries people. You go at your own risk to their island. So if you get killed, its your fault.

Its like trying to sneak into Area 51. The sign are everywhere and even say their is a possibility you CAN be shot. People who think its funny to try and sneak in play stupid games and win stupid prizes.

These natives likely already heard about Jesus but rejected it. Once you try the bible says to let God handle it. Not to keep going back until you get killed.

Upvote 0

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
I side with the tribe on this. Its not like there was no warning or no one knew about what would happen. Its like in my wifes country, there are a few islands that still have various tribes. Two or three of the tribes DO NOT like outsiders at all. Not even the countries people. You go at your own risk to their island. So if you get killed, its your fault.

Its like trying to sneak into Area 51. The sign are everywhere and even say their is a possibility you CAN be shot. People who think its funny to try and sneak in play stupid games and win stupid prizes.

These natives likely already heard about Jesus but rejected it. Once you try the bible says to let God handle it. Not to keep going back until you get killed.
Wanting to be left alone doesn't give you the automatic right to kill people on your land. I can't shoot a Jehovah's Witness knocking on my door just because I've put up a sign that says "no soliciting". There were bloodless means for dealing with him and these people chose not to use them, and they shouldn't be applauded for it.

• Winner
Reactions: ItIsFinished!
Upvote 0

JosephZ

Mar 25, 2017
Davao City
Visit site
✟231,272.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Wanting to be left alone doesn't give you the automatic right to kill people on your land. I can't shoot a Jehovah's Witness knocking on my door just because I've put up a sign that says "no soliciting". There were bloodless means for dealing with him and these people chose not to use them, and they shouldn't be applauded for it.

I posted much of this in another thread on this subject, but here is what needs to be considered in this case.

If someone shoots another person in the US who enters their home uninvited and is perceived as a threat wouldn't you feel that the homeowner had the right to use deadly force against them to protect their family?

In the case of the Sentinalese were they not also protecting their home against a perceived threat?

In the past outsiders have brought death, disease, and exploitation to them and nearby tribes.

We have a written record from the victim himself that says the people made it clear he was not welcome on their island by yelling and firing weapons at him just one day before his death. He ignored this and returned the very next day. Doesn't that act alone make the victim liable for his own death?

We also have to remember that the victim knowingly broke the law to gain access to this island.

The victim in this case was guilty of breaking Indian law, trespassing, and potentially endangering the lives of the Sentinalese people by bringing disease. Unfortunately these actions cost him his life, but those who took his life should not be held liable for his death just as someone protecting their family in the US should not be held liable if someone seen as a potential threat illegally enters their home and is killed by the owner. Even more so if the intruder had been clearly warned the day before and decided to illegally enter the house a second time the following day.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I have no sympathy for the missionary; its already been articulated why. I certainly don't take joy in his death that would be a bit monstrous but I don't know why people are surprised about it.
I agree - and as it is, it's not as if there was never a history to consider on the issue.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RespectableLaw/status/1065841141201989632?s=19

This breaks a lot of the history on what Christians did to them historically. I read about the abduction of the elders and the kids elsewhere, but didn't know how extensive it was and this is not a small deal when seeing what they have been exposed to as a people - and WHY the history matters.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I have no sympathy for the missionary; its already been articulated why. I certainly don't take joy in his death that would be a bit monstrous but I don't know why people are surprised about it.
This is an excellent read on the subject, as it definitely sheds light on her assignment vs the deceased young missionary.

Even the Apostles were forbidden from entering certain regions. It is sad he lost his life but to paint the Islanders as killers needing to be brought to justice rather than legally defending their territory from invasion is a HUGE stretch. This is how we make contact and neighbors - and even the Spirit of God wouldn't let others into areas without being prepared and having a real value for folks. This shows concern. having a real value and concern for humanity not just turning people into a trophy or prize to be won.

As my friend said best here: "And again. This further shows what people failed to understand about that "missionary" journey. READ. The first friendly contact with the Sentinelese and the Government decision to place a three mile radius to protect them."

These are beautiful Black People we need to learn on...

And we need more awareness of. The Jawara People are an insight into our own history and the reality is that these people have let others in with permission.

And it helps to have a physical face to who they are as we pray for them - others have been trying to protect them for a long time

They take care of their Eden. They waste no resources and they look out for each other.

Unless what we offer is Holy Ghost inpsired (and we can all quote scripture on how it looks transformed), what do we have to offer these people?

Their first encounter with a Christian showed belief in Christ as a disciple means violating laws - forcing folks to believe regardless of their choice, assuming they're all of the Devil for not believing (no value) and saying all who are non Christians lack wisdom.

Natives don't value these martyr stories that always paint them as the enemy and others as the savior.

And we all gonna forget I Peter 3:15 saying to be ready to give an answer and do so with gentleness/respect so as to dismiss slander from others.

The man had NO respect for their wishes and didn't see them as having things he should have learned - and heads up, there are already Black Indians who can and will let you know Black Indians like those on that Island have gone through hell.

Not only that...but he wasn't ASKED. Not even Jesus did that when he ministered to folks and lived a life of love for others and he said by our love for others the world would see if we're his disciples (John 13). So how was it love for others to go into a place against the law...against their wishes after being abused and trafficked and then told You're the savior?

As if Jesus couldn't reach them ( https://returntonow.net/2016/04/16/jarawas ). Even Polytheist can see this ( Tribal Jarawa Society Facing Abuse and Extinction )

• Agree
Reactions: JosephZ
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I posted much of this in another thread on this subject, but here is what needs to be considered in this case.

If someone shoots another person in the US who enters their home uninvited and is perceived as a threat wouldn't you feel that the homeowner had the right to use deadly force against them to protect their family?

In the case of the Sentinalese were they not also protecting their home against a perceived threat?

In the past outsiders have brought death, disease, and exploitation to them and nearby tribes.

We have a written record from the victim himself that says the people made it clear he was not welcome on their island by yelling and firing weapons at him just one day before his death. He ignored this and returned the very next day. Doesn't that act alone make the victim liable for his own death?

We also have to remember that the victim knowingly broke the law to gain access to this island.

The victim in this case was guilty of breaking Indian law, trespassing, and potentially endangering the lives of the Sentinalese people by bringing disease. Unfortunately these actions cost him his life, but those who took his life should not be held liable for his death just as someone protecting their family in the US should not be held liable if someone seen as a potential threat illegally enters their home and is killed by the owner. Even more so if the intruder had been clearly warned the day before and decided to illegally enter the house a second time the following day.

Indeed....

Upvote 0

Jane_the_Bane

Gaia's godchild
Feb 11, 2004
✟168,333.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
UK-Greens
Right! They couldn't tell this one man, "Go away and leave us alone." The only recourse open to them was to kill him.
They've made that abundantly clear across CENTURIES. That dumb missionary douche knew EXACTLY how this tribe reacted to outsiders, and probably received quite a few hostile shouts and threats before they killed him. Yet he pressed on, most likely sure that "the power of Christ" would protect him.

If he was contaminated with some germ these people are unfamiliar to, he's probably killed most of them. All "in the name of the LORD".

Upvote 0

AskTheFamily

Mar 14, 2010
Ottawa
✟14,900.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-NDP
Whatever one must do pertaining to matters of safety and fear, they must refer to the current anointed King of God and his name.

What possessed him to do this, I don't know.

As for God's true living name, it never leads astray, but is how God plans his plans on earth and receives helpers.

The names of God the holy leaders and guides (Jesus included) that is I will quote this and leave at that:

Following the example of another is nothing more than what has been bestowed upon the spirit at its origin, when the light of time was mixed with that of eternity. Following a model, however, does not consist of adopting the marks of outward actions and claiming descent from the awliya' of the faith from among the wise and the Imams. As Allah said,

يَوْمَ نَدْعُو كُلَّ أُنَاسٍ بِإِمَامِهِمْ

The day when We will call every people by their Imam. (17:71)

that is, whoever follows someone with effacement is pure. And elsewhere,

فَإِذَا نُفِخَ فِي الصُّورِ فَلَا أَنسَابَ بَيْنَهُمْ يَوْمَئِذٍ وَلَا يَتَسَاءلُونَ

So when the trumpet is blown, there will be no ties of relationship between them on that day, nor shall they ask of each other. (23:101)

The Commander of the Faithful said, 'Souls are a drafted army. Those who know each other are intimate, and those who do not know each other differ from each other.' Muhammad ibn al-Hanafiyah was asked who had taught him good manners, and he replied, 'My Lord taught me manners in myself. Whatever I find to be good in people of intelligence and insight I follow and use; whatever I find ugly in the ignorant I avoid and forsake forever. That has brought me to the path of knowledge. There is no sounder way for the astute believer than to follow the example of others, because it is the clearest path and soundest goal.' And Allah said to Muhammad, the greatest of His creation,

أُوْلَـئِكَ الَّذِينَ هَدَى اللّهُ فَبِهُدَاهُمُ اقْتَدِهْ

These are they whom Allah guided, therefore follow their guidance. (6:90)

Elsewhere He said,

ثُمَّ أَوْحَيْنَا إِلَيْكَ أَنِ اتَّبِعْ مِلَّةَ إِبْرَاهِيمَ حَنِيفًا وَمَا كَانَ مِنَ الْمُشْرِكِينَ

Then We revealed to you: Follow the faith of Abraham, the upright one. (16:123)

If the faith of Allah had had a path straighter than following a model, He would have recommended it to His prophets and His supporters.

The Holy Prophet said, 'There is a light in the heart which is illuminated only by following the truth and intending towards the right path. It is a part of the light of the prophets which has been entrusted in the hearts of the believers.'

• Informative
Reactions: JosephZ
Upvote 0