Down in Mary's Land
✟29,390.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Do you pray for the souls of those who have died?

If so, what do you pray for?

What kind of effect do such prayers have?

Does it matter whether you are praying for a Christian or someone of another religion? Would your prayer differ in either case?

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I pray for the dead at every Mass.

I pray for God's Mercy on those in danger of hell, and for the continued regeneration of those probably going to heaven.

The effects are, hopefully, the salvation of those in danger of hell and the continued theosis of the others.

It doesn't matter who they are; I pray for each all the same.

Upvote 0

nahMish

Apr 24, 2004
Sydney, Australia
✟7,791.00
Faith
Protestant
Egghead said:
Praying for the dead is a waste of time.
They made thier decision while they were alive.
There is no purgatory, the fate of those passed on is already decided. Prayer isnt going to change that.

that may sound harsh, but that is the reality of it...
in Corinthians-Paul questioned the purpose of some chrisitians idea of baptising for the dead because they are dead...
there are numerous quotes in the bible..such as "the dead know nothing."
judgement is reserved for the second coming when the books will be opened and our hearts motives and deads will be brought the light.
your chance is now, not later...
i have struggled with that-i have questioned whether God is truly fair...
yet God will pursue us and hover over us until we are all brought to a point where we say, "yeh, okay" or "buzz off"..
the choice is individual-no amount of praying for someone that is dead will do anything, only maybe ease your mind...
God is fair-remember that..he knows the opprtunities that everyone has to accept him or reject him..

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

I've Been Keepin My Eyes Wide Open
Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
DaddysAngel said:
I do. I pray for my dad. I think it does good because it let's him know i still love him even though he's not here with me.
I love this answer!

My dad died when I was 11 and I used to do the same thing but over the years I included him in less and less and now that I'm 42 I never include him in my prayers. Thanks to you and your sweet post I think I'll add him in tonight! Just to let him know I still love him and am looking forward to seeing him again. For those who don't believe in praying to the dead, I don't either, but I do believe in asking God to pass the message on. ;)

Upvote 0

Apollo Rhetor

Apr 19, 2003
✟15,952.00
Faith
Protestant
nephilimiyr said:
For those who don't believe in praying to the dead, I don't either, but I do believe in asking God to pass the message on. ;)

So then what about praying to God to pass messages on to the living? Eg, if someone is living in another country and you can't afford the phonecall, then how is that different?

In other words, on what basis do you believe that God will pass on the message?

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,904.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Egghead said:
There is no purgatory, the fate of those passed on is already decided. Prayer isnt going to change that.
Note: Praying for the dead does not equal belief in pugatory. Orthodox have always prayed for the dead yet we have no concept of purgatory.

John

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Joykins said:
Do you pray for the souls of those who have died?
Yes

If so, what do you pray for?
For God to draw them to himself.

What kind of effect do such prayers have?
That's God's call, not mine.

Does it matter whether you are praying for a Christian or someone of another religion?
No

Would your prayer differ in either case?
Not substantially.

Orthodox have always prayed for the dead yet we have no concept of purgatory.
Likewise for a lot of Anglicans (although Anglican churches seem to mostly have watered down praying for the dead into remembering the dead or praying for those left behind, particularly here in Aus.)

Upvote 0

ScottBot

Revolutionary
May 2, 2005
a state of desperation
✟57,712.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Egghead said:
I hope you can prove that historically and Scripturally, rather than just tossing around your obnoxious anti-Catholic coin phrases. You don't even understand what Purgatory is (obvious from your comment) to be able to tell people wether it exists or not.

Reactions: mnmcandiez
Upvote 0

Lynn73

Jesus' lamb
Sep 15, 2003
Visit site
✟15,613.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Egghead said:

I must agree. Purgatory is a myth and a person's eternal destiny is decided and unchangeable upon death. The closest I would come to praying for or to the dead would be, as nephilimiyr said, asking God to pass a message on. He's the one I pray to.

Upvote 0

Lynn73

Jesus' lamb
Sep 15, 2003
Visit site
✟15,613.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Scott_LaFrance said:
You don't even understand what Purgatory is (obvious from your comment) to be able to tell people wether it exists or not.

I do understand and it's not biblical plus is an insult to Christ imho. And it only exists in the minds of Catholics, kind of a create your own reality thing I guess, because it certainly isn't a doctrine of the Bible.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Lynn73 said:
I do understand and it's not biblical plus is an insult to Christ imho.
So perhaps you could explain what pugatory is, and (more interestingly) how it has anything to do with the question?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Lynn73

Jesus' lamb
Sep 15, 2003
Visit site
✟15,613.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Someone else brought it up, so I responded. I'm aware it has nothing to do with the OP. Purgatory is supposed to be the place where people are cleansed before entering heaven. I've had a Catholic explain it in such a way that it's like a shower room you walk through before entering heaven. Supposedy Catholic who die in the good graces of the church and God but still need cleansing have to go to this place. Jesus Christ has provided all the cleansing necessary with His shed blood, there's no such place needed nor is it revealed anywhere in Scripture, unless you want to read it into certain passages and misuse the Scripture to support a pet doctrine.

Purgatory (Lat., "purgare", to make clean, to purify) in accordance with Catholic teaching is a place or condition of temporal punishment for those who, departing this life in God's grace, are, not entirely free from venial faults, or have not fully paid the satisfaction due to their transgressions.

Jesus Christ fully paid the satisfaction due to our transgressions. There is no Purgatory and I reiterate it's an insult to Christ.

Back to the OP

Upvote 0

ScottBot

Revolutionary
May 2, 2005
a state of desperation
✟57,712.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Lynn73 said:
Someone else brought it up, so I responded. I'm aware it has nothing to do with the OP. Purgatory is supposed to be the place where people are cleansed before entering heaven. I've had a Catholic explain it in such a way that it's like a shower room you walk through before entering heaven. Supposedy Catholic who die in the good graces of the church and God but still need cleansing have to go to this place. Jesus Christ has provided all the cleansing necessary with His shed blood, there's no such place needed nor is it revealed anywhere in Scripture, unless you want to read it into certain passages and misuse the Scripture to support a pet doctrine.

Jesus Christ fully paid the satisfaction due to our transgressions. There is no Purgatory and I reiterate it's an insult to Christ.

Back to the OP
Since this is just your own personal opinion, and an insult to those of us who took the time to understand the necessity of Purgatory, I think your suggestion to return to the OP is a good idea.

Upvote 0

ScottBot

Revolutionary
May 2, 2005
a state of desperation
✟57,712.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Archangel said:
Im not sure about praying for the dead,
But praying to the dead is necromancy and is forbidden by God. Dunno what the RCC thinks about that when they pray to the "saints" who have all died.

Anyone want to offer any opinions?
Those who are in Christ are alive and well and in the presence of God Almighty. God is the God of the living, not the dead. Unless of course you believe that once your physical body dies, that's it. Since this is not a Scriptural notion, I reject it. St. Paul said "We are of good courage, and we would rather be away from the body and at home with the Lord." Doesn't sound like someone who is dead to me. You can't be home with the Lord if you are dead, because Christ defeated death for those who believe in Him.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,904.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Archangel said:
Im not sure about praying for the dead,
But praying to the dead is necromancy and is forbidden by God. Dunno what the RCC thinks about that when they pray to the "saints" who have all died.
Necromancy is attempting to engage in two way conversation with the spirits of the dead in order to gain information or predict the future. It has absolutely nothing to do with asking those who have died in Christ to pray for us. We do not expect them to answer us nor do we desire it.

John

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.