• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Prayers for the dead.

Discussion in 'St. Justin Martyr's Corner: Debate an Orthodox Chr' started by Mountainmike, Feb 23, 2021.

1. Mountainmike

Mountainmike Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,257
    Catholic
    Married
    This isnt so much of a debate, as my attempt to understand orthodox thinking.
    Prayers for the dead, what happens to souls before heaven? resurrection?

Starting point I assume uncontested?

-Sheol was how the OT refers to a place where the dead await resurrection.

-Jews in some sense pray for the dead.

-Maccabees speaks of prayers for the dead so that sins are forgiven.

-Some quotes of Jesus showed he quoted the septuagint specifically and historically it can be shown Maccabees was in the septuagint. Indeed the feast of dedication referring to hanukkah is in both OT. So maccabees may be apocrypha but it is mainstream.

-Jesus after death, in some sense preaches to dead or spirits in prison 1 peter 3:19

My question then, is what do orthodox make of all this? I know they reject purgatory, but I understand purgation is accepted.

My understanding is whilst orthodox dont accept purgatory , what happens is left as a mystery, so undefined? Is that true?

Do orthodox pray for the dead? And in what sense do they consider such prayer is useful or has efficacy?

I once heard kallistos ware talking about ways the schism coudl be repaired , speaking of purgatory, saying if it was regarded as a state rather than place, a hospital rather than prison, catholic and orthodox are not so far apart.

I am not after contesting orthodox belief just understanding it!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Lukaris

Lukaris Orthodox Christian Supporter

+1,384
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    On a personal level I think of the accounts of the resurrection & the Lords commandments from Matthew 22:23-40. The Lord affirms the resurrection, says God is of the living ( Matthew 22:32), & then that we are to love God & neighbor. I just think within this area, the Lord affirms life in its totality & the totality of the commandments. We actually pray for all the living which include the earthly departed who await resurrection.

Interestingly in Ruth 2:20, Naomi says those who remember kindness to the living & dead are blessed. Plus in John 5:22-30 ( etc.) all await the final judgment, so, I would think, we should pray for all & just trust in God to know what is best.

Lastly, I eventually recall a person here in TAW ( cannot recall, wish I could) who profoundly recalled the Lord praying for Lazarus in John 11 ( John 11:38-44).

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
  3. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member Supporter

+15,377
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    we do pray for the dead. St Paul also does it.

we pray for the dead out of love for them, and since God is outside of time, it's never too late to make such a prayer.

4. HTacianas

HTacianas Well-Known Member

+5,861
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    The Orthodox Church does not reject purgatory, except by name. The idea exists within Orthodoxy but it's more of a "if it is, it is" type thing. But there is an "intermediate state" of the dead prior to the general resurrection. Those righteous saints who die pass into the presence of God, but others may or may not. In any event, prayers for the dead are just as appropriate as prayers for a sick person. We pray that God might heal them. The final disposition of souls is entirely up to God.

5. Mountainmike

+1,257
    Catholic
    Married
    thanks all:

“God outside of time, so never too late”

An interesting way to consider it- not heard that expressed before.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
  6. prodromos

prodromos Senior Veteran Supporter

+7,960
    Australia
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    On what do you base this claim? The Catholic doctrine regarding purgatory is that only the saved go through it, and those that do will endure suffering. We have no such belief in the Orthodox Church. Those who are destined to paradise experience a foretaste of that destiny. They do not suffer. The doctrine of purgatory is also tightly bound to the Catholic concept of the "Treasury of Merits" which is also alien to the Orthodox Church.

7. HTacianas

HTacianas Well-Known Member

+5,861
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    See the Confession of Dositheus here:

The Confession of Dositheus (Eastern Orthodox)

8. Mountainmike

+1,257
    Catholic
    Married
    As I said, I thought Orthodox regarded it as a hospital for healing, rather than a prison.
    Do you have biblical support for the idea there is no suffering?
    Just trying to understand the view not contest it. One answer I received years ago from an orthodox lined up with the phrase 'if it is, it is', that is : it is left as a mystery.

9. Mountainmike

+1,257
    Catholic
    Married
  10. prodromos

prodromos Senior Veteran Supporter

+7,960
    Australia
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
  11. ArmyMatt

+15,377
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
  12. Mountainmike

+1,257
    Catholic
    Married
    Do you consider decree 18 fair comment of your understanding?

When I have asked this question before the answers were varied.

I was asking the orthodox view, rather than critique of the catholic view.
    The difference is in reality nuanced and somewhat lost in the fact that for all it is a mystery.

13. Psalm 27

Psalm 27 Active Member

+144
    United Kingdom
    Christian Seeker
    Private
    Hello again!
    Is purgatory mentioned in the Bible?
    Where did the word purgatory originate? :)

14. ArmyMatt

+15,377
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    in part, yes it is the view, but a lot of Fathers have written a lot about the departed and why we pray for them.

15. ArmyMatt

+15,377
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    no. it came about in the West. we Orthodox reject purgatory.

16. buzuxi02

buzuxi02 Veteran

+2,200
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    We remember our loved ones who have departed by praying for them. Doesn't matter if they were saints or sinners we still pray for them, purgation is irrelevant. In fact praying for them presupposes they are in a place of light as it's confirmation of the communion of the saints both of the church militant and of the church triumphant.