Earth
✟1,456,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
So you're complaining they don't use your sources?

if by my sources you mean actual history from the time we are talking about, then yes.

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟631,933.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
"There is one mediator between God and man, Jesus Christ."

I'm a former Baptist, I understand where you are coming from with that comment.
The challenge is this; if that meant what you suggest that it does, why would you accept prayer requests? I can see it now, the pastor asks, "Are there any prayer requests?" and someone in the congregation jumps up and declares, "No need, there's only one mediator between God and man..."
So much of Holy Scripture itself contradicts that notion. Prayers are made for one another, there are examples of prayers being asked and made for one another.
What you are saying is that Christ is the "one mediator" therefore intercessory prayer is unnecessary and even prohibited.
That simply isn't true.

So the question then turns, what is meant by that line, "There is one mediator between God and man, Jesus Christ."
The totality of this is incomprehensible. God the Logos became man to restore mankind to God the Father. This is far beyond the scope of any man, even Saint. However, there are a couple of things that help me get a glimpse of this. One comes from the Matins service and is chanted almost every Sunday morning just prior to the Doxology:
"..through Him who from you became incarnate was Hades taken prisoner, and Adam has been summoned back; the curse has been neutralized, and Eve has been liberated; death has been put to death, and we have been brought to life. Therefore extolling we cry out: O Christ our God, You are blessed, for so was Your good pleasure. Glory to You!"

The other is the Prayer of Saint Simeon Metaphrastes:
O Only Pure and Incorruptible Lord, because of the unspeakable mercy of Thy love for mankind, Thou didst take to Thyself our entire human composition from the pure blood of the Virgin who gave birth to Thee beyond nature, by the descent of the Holy Spirit and the good-will of the Ever-Existing Father.

O Christ Jesus, Wisdom of God and Peace and Power, through the human nature which Thou didst take to Thyself, Thou didst suffer the life-creating and saving Passion: the Cross, the nails, the spear, death itself. Put to death in me the soul-destroying passions of the body!

Through Thy burial Thou didst capture the kingdom of death. Bury in me the evil devices of the devil with good thoughts, and destroy the spirits of evil!

Through Thy life-bringing Resurrection Thou didst raise up the first father who had fallen. Raise me up who am sunk down in sin and give me the image of repentance!

Through Thy glorious Ascension Thou didst make the flesh which Thou didst assume to be Divine, and placed It on the Throne at the Father's right hand. Grant me to receive a place at the right hand with the saved through Communion of Thy Holy Mysteries!

Through the coming of Thy Spirit, the Comforter, Thou didst make Thy consecrated Disciples to be honorable vessels. Show me also to be the receptacle of His coming!

Thou hast promised to come again to judge the world in righteousness. Grant that I may go to meet Thee in the clouds, my Judge and Creator, with all Thy Saints; that I may glorify and praise Thee without end, together with Thy Father Who is without beginning, and Thy Most Holy and Good and Life-Creating Spirit, now and ever and unto ages of ages. Amen.

To me, there's simply no way to reduce the concept of "one mediator" down to being a prohibition on intercession.

Last edited:
Upvote 0