Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,297,733.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
RKO thanks :) well - I can't drive there - I have to take a plane first :)

BTW ZaidaBoBaida - in the UGCC there should not be Divine Liturgy of St John on Wednesdays and Fridays during the fast - strictly speaking there should be no Liturgies during the weekdays. Wednesday and Friday [ after the First Week ] should be Liturgy of the Pre-Sanctified Gifts. I know you are looking into Orthodoxy - and I suspect that it is the same. The exception will be for Annunciation - I think that the Liturgy of St John is Served then [ don't have my book handy ] . During all other occasions [ i.e. Sundays ] the Divine Liturgy of St Basil the Great should be Served.

Apologies, my wrestling with preparing the Changeable Parts for Sunday Liturgy is beginning to show - my GodPapa has a LOT for which he has to answer. :p

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
RKO thanks :) well - I can't drive there - I have to take a plane first :)

BTW ZaidaBoBaida - in the UGCC there should not be Divine Liturgy of St John on Wednesdays and Fridays during the fast - strictly speaking there should be no Liturgies during the weekdays. Wednesday and Friday [ after the First Week ] should be Liturgy of the Pre-Sanctified Gifts. I know you are looking into Orthodoxy - and I suspect that it is the same. The exception will be for Annunciation - I think that the Liturgy of St John is Served then [ don't have my book handy ] . During all other occasions [ i.e. Sundays ] the Divine Liturgy of St Basil the Great should be Served.

Apologies, my wrestling with preparing the Changeable Parts for Sunday Liturgy is beginning to show - my GodPapa has a LOT for which he has to answer. :p

It is the same in Orthodoxy. Generally speaking, no more Divine Liturgy on weekdays, though the Annunciation is an exception, I'm pretty sure.

I'm trying to remember for Saturdays - it IS a Divine Liturgy then, isn't it? Hmmmmmm .... I still have not learned!

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Anhelyna, I guess you're just going to have to convert to Orthodoxy so you'll have better access and accommodations!! :pray::sorry::sorry:

In all seriousness, best of luck and Lord have mercy!

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I am guessing Lent hasn't started yet because I have heard that the Liturgy changes and last night seemed pretty normal to me.
Correct [emoji4]

I started attending the Orthodox Church at the start of Lent...It was different when we switched to the normal liturgy after it ended! Just as beautiful with both though. I love the hymns during Lent.

Reactions: ZaidaBoBaida
Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,297,733.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
To be honest - you won't notice a lot of difference in the Liturgy - the priest's prayers in St Basil are longer and as a congregation we no longer sing " It is truly right ... " but instead " In you, O Full of Grace, all creations rejoices: the angelic ranks and all the human race....... "

Lent , the Great Fast , starts after Cheesefare Sunday [ the Sunday of Forgiveness ] on 13 March.

Reactions: ZaidaBoBaida
Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
To be honest - you won't notice a lot of difference in the Liturgy - the priest's prayers in St Basil are longer and as a congregation we no longer sing " It is truly right ... " but instead " In you, O Full of Grace, all creations rejoices: the angelic ranks and all the human race....... "

Lent , the Great Fast , starts after Cheesefare Sunday [ the Sunday of Forgiveness ] on 13 March.
For me, some of the hymns were the biggest difference. We have settings we use only during Lent. Perhaps this was more noticeable to me since I was a new member in the choir.

Also, Presanctified liturgy is a beautiful service - and the hymnography is definitely different than the normal Divine Liturgy. The spirit of the services during Lent are also unique.

You can feel the church preparing for the events that are coming...the grief of the upcoming crucifixion - the repentant spirit - and a great anticipation of the resurrection to come.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,297,733.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
That's certainly true - I loved singing the Basil Anaphora the first year I was chanting everything with my GodPapa. That day he turned to me and congratulated me, after Liturgy, - and was very pleased that I sang everything in Ukrainian too despite having to sightread most of it. The melodies and harmonies are superb

Reactions: All4Christ
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟118,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I would note that one doesn't use "Lenten" settings on Sunday (or rather from Friday evening through Sunday evening)(and having specific "Lenten" settings is a Russian thing), but people often do use it as an excuse to introduce some variety. For the anaphora longer settings are often introduced because there is more to cover. "All of Creation" of course is proper to St Basil's liturgy which is used during Lent rather than being specifically Lenten - one does the liturgy of St John Chrysostom on Saturdays and uses "It is truly meet" during Lent.

Reactions: All4Christ
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I would note that one doesn't use "Lenten" settings on Sunday (or rather from Friday evening through Sunday evening)(and having specific "Lenten" settings is a Russian thing), but people often do use it as an excuse to introduce some variety. For the anaphora longer settings are often introduced because there is more to cover. "All of Creation" of course is proper to St Basil's liturgy which is used during Lent rather than being specifically Lenten - one does the liturgy of St John Chrysostom on Saturdays and uses "It is truly meet" during Lent.
Thanks gzt, I wondered about that. For now it's mostly the Sunday Liturgy that concerns me, since the rest is done by chanters and I don't expect to be up there for a long time yet.

Upvote 0