Centre-right conservative Christian-Democrat
Oct 17, 2015
Lisbon, Portugal
✟18,877.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
No, read the KJV you bible obviously has bits missing. Look it up. You can go on bible hub to compare translations.

Hmm... Does my Bible have bits missing, or does your Bible have bits added? :scratch:

Actually, it is your Bible that has bits added. The King James Version has many passages with are not found in the most ancient and reliable manuscripts, e.g., Matthew 17:21, Mark 16:9-20, John 7:53, John 8:1-11, Acts of the Apostles 8:37, 1 John 5:7-8.

Yes there actually is a command to fast. I was in church today and they were talking about the miracle of loaves and fishes. If you read the story in marks gospel, when the disciples were sent out they were commanded to take NO BREAD with them on their journey and by the end they were starving. So obviously they were fasting before the miracle.

Look in mArk chapter 6,

Firstly, that was a command Jesus gave to the twelve at the time; it does not apply to us, because it was for that journey at that time, which we are not doing (if you think it does, tell me for how long Jesus said I must fast). Secondly, Jesus did not command them to fast: he only commanded them not to take any bread (Mark 6:8), but he also told them to enter the house of any worthy person and to stay there (Matthew 10:11; Mark 6:10), which presumes that they would be allowed to eat there. So, no, Jesus does not command us to fast today.

If youve never fasted before i suggest you start now, lots of churches do it before easter. For 40 days, its called Lent.

No, thanks.

Your attitude is very bad portueguse baptist.

Actually, I think it is your attitude which is bad, because you are trying to impose fasting on me, telling me that I should fast, when the Bible never tells me to and you have no reason to impose that on me. I respect and accept your option to fast; therefore, I think you should respect and accept my option, since the Bible is silent regarding any commandments to fast.

Before criticising me for not fasting, I think you should bear in mind what Paul said: ‘The one who eats everything must not treat with contempt the one who does not, and the one who does not eat everything must not judge the one who does, for God has accepted them’ (Romans 14:3); and he goes on: ‘Whoever eats meat does so to the Lord, for they give thanks to God; and whoever abstains does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God’ (Romans 14:6).

I cant believe you dont take Gods word seriously amd try to reason and argue about it all the time.

That was rather offensive, Goodbook. I do take God's Word very seriously, and I firmly hold it as my ultimate standard. There is just simply no ordinance or command for us to fast. Jesus gave us two commandments and two ordinances. The two commandments are: ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul and strength’ and ‘Love your neighbour as yourself’. The two ordinances are Baptism and the Lord's Supper. Never will you find in the New Testament a commandment for us to fast.

Have you never done the 40 hour famine? World vision which is a christian ministry has this and its only 40 hours.

No, I have never done it.

The bottom line is this: the Bible does not command us to fast and does not prohibit fasting. Therefore, if you fast and I do not, we should respect and not condemn each other's decisions, because neither is unbiblical.

Reactions: royal priest
Upvote 0

Swan7

Made in the image of His Grace
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2014
Forever Summer
✟435,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The KJV doesn't have verses added. How can it considering its age? Look up the history on the making of the KJV. You can't add to an aged Bible like you can with the newer and more "popular" versions. You gotta know the history of where something comes from if you want to get the whole truth.

I recommend watching this documentary and ask God for the truth in such things. He's the real revealer and I am just the messenger.

Upvote 0

The Portuguese Baptist

Oct 17, 2015
Lisbon, Portugal
✟18,877.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
The KJV doesn't have verses added. How can it considering its age? Look up the history on the making of the KJV. You can't add to an aged Bible like you can with the newer and more "popular" versions. You gotta know the history of where something comes from if you want to get the whole truth.

Actually, it does have verses added. It was translated from manuscripts which had verses added. If you read modern Bibles, like the New International Version, the English Standard Version or the New American Standard Bible, you will often find many footnotes saying things like, ‘Some manuscripts say...’ or ‘Many manuscripts omit this’.

This is because the Bible did not come to us in one piece. The Bible was compiled from many ancient manuscripts, which have a few differences amongst them; most of these differences are irrelevant, but some include added or removed bits. The KJV translators did not have access to so much information, since more and more reliable manuscripts have been discovered. They also did not add any footnotes for alternative translations, nor for excerpts omitted or added in different manuscripts. In the beginning of post #22, I have cited a few of these improper additions in the KJV.

You should explore this subject a bit more if you want to get to the truth. Here are a few articles (pick the ones that sound more interesting):
Again, pick those you find more interesting. Ask me for clarification if you wish.

I recommend watching this documentary and ask God for the truth in such things. He's the real revealer and I am just the messenger.

Sorry, I really do not want to waste 107 minutes of my life watching that.

Upvote 0

Swan7

Made in the image of His Grace
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2014
Forever Summer
✟435,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not going to go to you for clarification, I'll go to God thanks. He's the one who's been showing me what the Truth actually is and where it lies. Ill trust Him and no other. You can believe whatever it is you wish to believe. If it works for you, I can't argue that but I won't look at the articles if you will not even give curtousy to look at what I had provided. It just doesn't make sense.

That and you come across very.... arrogant.

Reactions: MWood
Upvote 0

The Portuguese Baptist

Oct 17, 2015
Lisbon, Portugal
✟18,877.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I'm not going to go to you for clarification, I'll go to God thanks. He's the one who's been showing me what the Truth actually is and where it lies. Ill trust Him and no other. You can believe whatever it is you wish to believe.

So, wait... God told you that the KJV is the only true translation and all the others are wrong?

If it works for you, I can't argue that but I won't look at the articles if you will not even give curtousy to look at what I had provided. It just doesn't make sense.

OK. I have given you the chance to explore the truth: do as you wish. I just find it ridiculous that you are actually saying that loads of people in the church are lying in order to just remove from the Bible a few pointless verses for no reason — but, if you do not believe in the evidence, what shall I say?

That and you come across very.... arrogant.

Sorry if I have sounded arrogant. That was not my intention. :(

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
It really is a matter of prayer..we ought to pray about everything including which Bible translation God will have us read as there are so many different versions out there and not all of them are the same...God is not the author of confusion!

He is also the one who gave us tongues to speak and mixed them up in the first place.

Going back to the topic, prayer in baptist churches...I find that prayer is what undergirds everything in a baptist church. If decisions are to be made, people pray first before even reasoning it out.

In some churches, prayer is not a priority, the pastor is expected to be the one praying for everyone..or prayer is more of a shopping list of what a person desires than what God wills. Or prayer is a ritual or something to be read from a prayer book.

Upvote 0

The Portuguese Baptist

Oct 17, 2015
Lisbon, Portugal
✟18,877.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
It really is a matter of prayer..we ought to pray about everything including which Bible translation God will have us read as there are so many different versions out there and not all of them are the same...God is not the author of confusion!

Yes, but that is slightly off-topic, I think. We were discussing the KJV's reliability, not exactly its usage.

However, since you have brought it up, that makes me wonder: did God tell you to read solely from the KJV?

He is also the one who gave us tongues to speak and mixed them up in the first place. […]

Goodbook, the last time we talked about tongues, you gave up, saying, ‘I don't want to argue all day with you I'm sorry.’ Do you really want to start this discussion again?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Thats sad. I guess theres different baptist churches...? The one I go to really emphasise prayer.
This man came to our church one sunday from another church. Not a baptists, but he was talking to us about prayers towers. They have them in philippines and they pray 24/7 for people to come to christ there. So they started one up in my town, because theres lots of filipino immigrants now. Problem is our nearest 'prayer tower'is bit far away from. My suburb, so not easy to get to.

Does anyone here know about them?

Upvote 0