Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
How does your baptist church go about prayer?
What oppotrunities are given when you fellowship together for prayer?
Do you have a prayer chain, meetings, special places to pray, prayer prompts etc?
Do people all say amen to prayers, do you say prayers together, do you have dedicated prayer teams?
How about fasting?

Please share.

The Portuguese Baptist

Centre-right conservative Christian-Democrat
Oct 17, 2015
Lisbon, Portugal
✟18,877.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
How does your baptist church go about prayer?
What oppotrunities are given when you fellowship together for prayer?
Do you have a prayer chain, meetings, special places to pray, prayer prompts etc?
Do people all say amen to prayers, do you say prayers together, do you have dedicated prayer teams?
How about fasting?

Please share.

In the services, we pray all together a number of times, and it is generally only one person at the front speaking and everybody listening, without interrupting; when the speaker finishes, everyone says ‘Amen’ at the same time. Sometimes (perhaps once per service), the speaker will give an opportunity for a few people to pray, and whoever wishes, one at a time, will begin praying, with no interruptions, with the whole church saying ‘Amen’ at the end of each prayer; then, the speaker at the front will make the last prayer of the series.

There are no prayer places, but there is a prayer meeting every Friday night. We do not have prayer teams.

We do not pray in tongues.

Fasting is generally not discussed nor encouraged, since we do not see the need for it. However, no-one is forbidden if he wishes.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Thanks for sharing, mine is similar but we have prayer teams who can pray for people while the rest of the congregation are singing, there is prayer before the service too, anyone can go.
We often recite the Lord's prayer together.
and in our newsletter there's scripture for each day of the week and exhortations to pray for particular people and ministries.

Sometimes we have a prayer and self-denial period, they don't call it fasting now, not sure why not but often its to put aside money for a special collection to send to missionaries overseas. So maybe its the money you would have spent on food, like a coffee and put that into a collection.

Upvote 0

ml5363

Jan 6, 2016
Tennessee
✟28,267.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My church is also several times for prayer as a group during service with one person leading, (always a man) does that bother anyone else) and most people will say amen at end. Also first sunday of every month 45 mins before evening service is prayer time..where I am told women on one side, men on the other in group..going around and anyone can pray. I have yet to attend this because my kids would not sit still or be quiet for this. anyone know what a lot of churches have stopped wed night and sunday night services? all the churches i have attended no one has mentioned fasting. is this not a baptist thing?

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
oh also forgot to mention there's small groups in which prayer is also a big part of it, ones for men, ones for women too.
And, nearly forgot, Tuesday prayer and communion.

our church does have sunday night services as well but I go the the morning ones. Often they stop over the New Years break.

It seems to me fasting doesn't tend to be a baptist thing which is a shame as, if we don't fast we don't really receive power from on high. If anything, food is a big feature of baptist life, there's always morning tea, church picnics, community meals, meetings over coffee etc. Always featuring cakes and desserts. I don't know why!
I'm a bit concerned about this as a lot of health problems come from over-indulging.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
In the bible of course. Book of acts. Look it up.
And gospels. Especially when the disciples tried to cast out demons and it didnt work.

I thought you would know since you seem to read the Bible a lot, but..seems you like to skip certain parts, although it may be your bible version has got bits missing.

Jesus expected people to fast...he said when you fast...
Also the Jews had regular fast times over their new year. Anna spent her time night and day in fasting and prayer, she prophecised over Jesus.

Reactions: Dkh587
Upvote 0

The Portuguese Baptist

Oct 17, 2015
Lisbon, Portugal
✟18,877.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
In the bible of course. Book of acts. Look it up.
And gospels. Especially when the disciples tried to cast out demons and it didnt work.

Are you seriously telling me to read five books of the Bible in order to try to find the verse that says, ‘If you do not fast, you will not receive power from on high’, which probably does not even exist? Why do you not just show me where it is?

I thought you would know since you seem to read the Bible a lot, but..seems you like to skip certain parts, although it may be your bible version has got bits missing.

Er... No, I do not skip anything. I have read the entire Bible. Some verses are included in the King James Version, but not in many ancient manuscripts, casting doubt on their reliability; however, the New International Version includes them on footnotes, meaning that, even those, I have also read.

Jesus expected people to fast...he said when you fast...
Also the Jews had regular fast times over their new year. Anna spent her time night and day in fasting and prayer, she prophecised over Jesus.

That means nothing. I challenge you to find in the New Testament: 1) a command or ordinance to fast; or 2) a promise that, as you said, if we do not fast, we do not receive power from on high. After all, that was what you said.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Sorry you being argumentative.
Jesus said this kind does not go out without prayer and fasting. I thought you knew the story of the demoniac and how the disicples couldnt cast the demons out so Jesus had to. Jesus fasted 40 days in the wilderness.

I will look up the specific verses for you but seeing as you intelligent and have a bible i thought you could eaily find them yourself. Also Jesus said when you fast...not if you fast. The disciples hadnt fasted when Jesus was with them but they did after the cruxifiction, as fasting also happens when people grieve, they go without food as was the jewish custom. So 40 days after jesus appeared again and was taken up to heaven they recieved power from on high and spoke in new tongues as the holy spirit gave them utterance. They were also given power, notice that peter and James could go round healing the sick just like Jesus did. I am not making this up you can read the bible and find out for yourself.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Esther fasted for 3 days in the OT. God saved the jewish ppl from being destroyed.
When Jonah went to ninevah the ninvevites repented and fasted to avert the judgement that was going to come.
Job repented in sack clothes and ashes and prayed for his friends. After that he was given a greater blessing.
Daniel aslo fasted, he abstained from rich meats. Fasting is a biblical thing.

Reactions: Dkh587
Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Anna the prophetess fasted and prayed night and day.
Theres heaps of examples of ppl fasting in the bible. John the baptist was a nazarite and fasted from rich foods. He ate wild locusts and honey instead.

You cant put new wine into old bottles.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
The only two commandemts Jesus gave are to love the Lord your God with all your mind, all your heart and all your STRENGTH. And then to love your neighbour as you love God.

Why would fasting not come under this category of showing devotion to God just like prayer? They go hand in hand.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Matthew 6:16-18

Also when jeiwsh ppl fasted they typically wore sack cloth and ashes to show that they were fasting, but Jesus was saying just wear normal clothes and dont tell anyone you are fasting, because God knows you are doing this for Him, and not boast about praying or fasting in front of other ppl.

Upvote 0

The Portuguese Baptist

Oct 17, 2015
Lisbon, Portugal
✟18,877.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Sorry you being argumentative.

What? o_O

Jesus said this kind does not go out without prayer and fasting. I thought you knew the story of the demoniac and how the disicples couldnt cast the demons out so Jesus had to.

Actually, he probably only said: ‘This kind can only come out by prayer (Mark 9:29). The words ‘and fasting’, which are in the KJV, are not present in most modern translations, and many add in footnotes that only some manuscripts have them, thus casting doubt on their credibility.

Jesus fasted 40 days in the wilderness.

So what?

I will look up the specific verses for you but seeing as you intelligent and have a bible i thought you could eaily find them yourself.

I cannot find them because they do not exist.

Also Jesus said when you fast...not if you fast.

So what?

The disciples hadnt fasted when Jesus was with them but they did after the cruxifiction, as fasting also happens when people grieve, they go without food as was the jewish custom. So 40 days after jesus appeared again and was taken up to heaven they recieved power from on high and spoke in new tongues as the holy spirit gave them utterance. They were also given power, notice that peter and James could go round healing the sick just like Jesus did. I am not making this up you can read the bible and find out for yourself.

So what?

Sigh some ppl want me to be like their own biblical scholar...

No, not really; I just want you to justify biblically your case.

Esther fasted for 3 days in the OT. God saved the jewish ppl from being destroyed.
When Jonah went to ninevah the ninvevites repented and fasted to avert the judgement that was going to come.
Job repented in sack clothes and ashes and prayed for his friends. After that he was given a greater blessing.
Daniel aslo fasted, he abstained from rich meats. Fasting is a biblical thing.

So what?

Anna the prophetess fasted and prayed night and day.
Theres heaps of examples of ppl fasting in the bible. John the baptist was a nazarite and fasted from rich foods. He ate wild locusts and honey instead.

You cant put new wine into old bottles.

So what?

The only two commandemts Jesus gave are to love the Lord your God with all your mind, all your heart and all your STRENGTH. And then to love your neighbour as you love God.

Why would fasting not come under this category of showing devotion to God just like prayer? They go hand in hand.

So what?

Matthew 6:16-18

Also when jeiwsh ppl fasted they typically wore sack cloth and ashes to show that they were fasting, but Jesus was saying just wear normal clothes and dont tell anyone you are fasting, because God knows you are doing this for Him, and not boast about praying or fasting in front of other ppl.

So what?

My point is that you cannot find a biblical command to fast, nor a promise that only by fasting do you receive power. In post #10, I challenged you to find one of these two things in the New Testament, and you have shown me nothing so far. You can only show examples of people fasting and Jesus talking about fasting, but you cannot find a command to fast and you cannot find an indication that fasting is necessary in order to receive power.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yes there actually is a command to fast. I was in church today and they were talking about the miracle of loaves and fishes. If you read the story in marks gospel, when the disciples were sent out they were commanded to take NO BREAD with them on their journey and by the end they were starving. So obviously they were fasting before the miracle.

Look in mArk chapter 6,
If youve never fasted before i suggest you start now, lots of churches do it before easter. For 40 days, its called Lent.

Upvote 0