Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I have one particular relationship in mind but let this be a prayer for all of us who struggle with some people.
Avoiding the blame game. Just letting God work on us together. Seeing past each others behaviour. Being authentic where appropriate.
If God is telling me to just move on from this person, then I would like some sign. I could be making unnecessary drama over this btw. :)

Episaw

Always learning
Nov 12, 2010
Drouin, Victoria, Australia
✟38,829.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I have one particular relationship in mind but let this be a prayer for all of us who struggle with some people.
Avoiding the blame game. Just letting God work on us together. Seeing past each others behaviour. Being authentic where appropriate.
If God is telling me to just move on from this person, then I would like some sign. I could be making unnecessary drama over this btw. :)

I don't pray for difficult relationships. I pray for easy relationships.

Oh, you want us to pray for a relationship that is difficult. Sorry about that.

The best way to deal with a difficult relationship is to end it. It is not going to be the end of the world. Unless of course, it is your wife.

That would be difficult and humble pie would be in order.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I don't pray for difficult relationships. I pray for easy relationships.

Oh, you want us to pray for a relationship that is difficult. Sorry about that.

The best way to deal with a difficult relationship is to end it. It is not going to be the end of the world. Unless of course, it is your wife.

That would be difficult and humble pie would be in order.
Guess my attempts at wit deserve this post.

Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just letting God work on us together. Seeing past each others behaviour. Being authentic where appropriate.

I agree with every word of this, brother. No easy business, but may well be worth it. I have my own situation, and every word of this comes into play for us as well.

Been here as well. There were moments there where it looked like either of us might just move on, but that didn't happen. We saw it through. And yes, the drama was and still is there, all over the place sometimes.

Care to add anything more?

• Prayers
Reactions: CtC
Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Care to add anything more?
My unbiased perspective? :)
An old friend comes into my life again after 20 odd years. He's lived in other countries. Anyway, what I've noticed is either he has changed big time or I have. Probably both. He talks non stop now and I can barely get a word in. I've tried to interrupt but he just bulldozes his way over the top. Shows little or no interest in my current life. Met him 3 or 4 times now and its just the same pattern. We have little in common now compared to before. I don't feel we have the same value set and he is absolutely not interested in Christianity. When we were friends before it was very secular, as drinking buddies. I don't drink now so that used to be the glue of our friendship.
Personally, I'd like to move on. But he has few friends in this city. I don't think God would approve of me just ignoring him ,would he?

• Prayers
Reactions: CtC
Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Personally, I'd like to move on. But he has few friends in this city. I don't think God would approve of me just ignoring him ,would he?

Nope. But the dynamics of the relationship have changed entirely now. It's like starting over, and you and he will have to accept it. I would be completely myself with him as I were now, and hope he understands it. If not he will move on, but at least you gave him a shot, and opened up and were honest and tried. This puts it in his hands whether the new relationship will survive or not. I'd tell him outright the next time he really starts working my nerves about not listening that it has to be a two-way street. Again, if he leaves, at least you were trying to deal with things in order to save the relationship.

Best of luck. Hope things work out good.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CtC

Worship is a Lifestyle
Site Supporter
Oct 25, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟195,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That sounds like a tough situation. I'm sorry that you are experiencing this.

While I do agree that unhealthy situations need to be addressed, just cutting ties or avoiding that person may not be best. I know this is addressed (somewhat) in the book of Matthew. However, I think that is specific to an issue with a brother (or sister) in the church. Regardless, if it is possible, I would try to communicate how the lack of balance in the conversation is hurtful. If that does not work, then you can start to put distance between he and you. At least, at that point, he will know WHY you are distant.

I will be praying over this situation!

Reactions: Godlovesmetwo
Upvote 0

Episaw

Always learning
Nov 12, 2010
Drouin, Victoria, Australia
✟38,829.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
My unbiased perspective? :)
An old friend comes into my life again after 20 odd years. He's lived in other countries. Anyway, what I've noticed is either he has changed big time or I have. Probably both. He talks non stop now and I can barely get a word in. I've tried to interrupt but he just bulldozes his way over the top. Shows little or no interest in my current life. Met him 3 or 4 times now and its just the same pattern. We have little in common now compared to before. I don't feel we have the same value set and he is absolutely not interested in Christianity. When we were friends before it was very secular, as drinking buddies. I don't drink now so that used to be the glue of our friendship.

Not being funny this time but I know what you are talking about.

We had a new neighbour come to live in the court who was a Christian so naturally, we paled up with them. His wife and my wife got on really well and the same with us.

Unfortunately, his wife died a couple of years after they moved in. I went up to visit him every day for about three months to help him get over his wife's death. Mainly to just listen as he unburdened himself. Apart from myself and his family, no one visited him.

Now we have very little to do with each other as whenever he visits us all he does is talk and talk and talk and then drinks his coffee and then says goodbye. The conversation is usually about his latest trip overseas or what he is spending his money on or the way his family is disintegrating. He will say the same thing each visit.

There was no point in continuing the fellowship as it was not fellowship. Rather a monologue about him. Sad to say, two of his three children have gone through a divorce recently and I found out his only daughter is terrified of him because of his dictatorial attitude.

I have tried to have a conversation with him but when I share anything he then goes on about what he has done or how he does it.

As they say, no use flogging a dead horse.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Not being funny this time but I know what you are talking about.

We had a new neighbour come to live in the court who was a Christian so naturally, we paled up with them. His wife and my wife got on really well and the same with us.

Unfortunately, his wife died a couple of years after they moved in. I went up to visit him every day for about three months to help him get over his wife's death. Mainly to just listen as he unburdened himself. Apart from myself and his family, no one visited him.

Now we have very little to do with each other as whenever he visits us all he does is talk and talk and talk and then drinks his coffee and then says goodbye. The conversation is usually about his latest trip overseas or what he is spending his money on or the way his family is disintegrating. He will say the same thing each visit.

There was no point in continuing the fellowship as it was not fellowship. Rather a monologue about him. Sad to say, two of his three children have gone through a divorce recently and I found out his only daughter is terrified of him because of his dictatorial attitude.

I have tried to have a conversation with him but when I share anything he then goes on about what he has done or how he does it.

As they say, no use flogging a dead horse.
nice empathy, thanks.
I tend to be a talkaholic around my wife. Maybe this is payback. :)

Upvote 0

Robert Richborough

May 5, 2017
Manchester
✟47,835.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Praying cause I feel in the same boat here. Hope it goes all well for you.

Upvote 0

Humble me Lord

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2017
The far north icebox
✟190,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I believe God uses these difficult situations to strengthen us. To exercise our patience, grace, and love.

Galatians 5:22–23 ,By the grace of God, may we deal with difficult people in love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faith, gentleness, and self-control. May we extend the same love, grace, and mercy that God extended to us.

God bless and praying for a His guidance in these matters

Upvote 0