Newbie no more!
Aug 20, 2011
United States of America
✟14,114.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
So do you think it's possible that men can be diagnosed with PPND (Paternal Postnatal Depression)? I've never heard of it before, but seeing as my husband seems pretty down right now as I am too I did some research. We are only about 3 weeks postpartum. Anyone have any experience with this? And if so, would the 'treatment' be the same for men as for women?

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My wife had some post-partum blues with the first child. She was kind of negative about a lot of things, including me. She'd get upset about things easily, and I did not like seeing my wife upset. Between that and getting up late to feed the baby and everything else going on, I probably wasn't at the happiest point in my life.

It could be he's stressed because of the stress in the household with what you are going through and taking care of a new baby. Part of it could be a kind of empathy. Maybe he feels down because he's sad from seeing you feel down.

I think early in my marriage, my own emotional state was affected a lot by my wife's. If she was happy, as she often was, then I was happy. If she was in a great mood, that made me feel good. But if she felt down, I'd feel bad because she was feeling bad. Later, I realized I've got to stay strong if she feels down and realize that things will get better for her and try to communicate that to her with my attitude and what I say.

I don't know of any instant cures. You can keep your spiritual life up with prayer, fellowship, and the word. Pay attention to nutrition. As you get ready for it, you can start getting some exercise. He can do that. Exercise is supposed to be good if you are feeling down. When you feel up to it, maybe a night on the town or a really fun weekend excursion might help. I don't know if you'd want to take the baby out or even leave her with a parent or in-law at this stage, so the weekend may have to wait. You may be able to leave the kids with someone and go out for dinner or some kind of fun winter event.

Upvote 0

seeingeyes

Nov 29, 2011
Backwoods, Ohio
✟27,860.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you have a reason to suspect that it is something more than being exhausted?

This is your second baby, no? Number one brings a huge amount of change, as you know, but subsequent babies can be tough to adjust to simply because you can no longer sleep when the new baby is sleeping (cause you have to still care for the others). It's exhausting to never have 'time off'. (If you start to feel jealous when your husband leaves for work without you, then this may be the problem. :))

See if you can approach the topic with him by saying, "we are burned out, what can we do about it?" If you come at it as a team solving this together, you might be able to figure something out that helps both of you. Like, maybe you could each get half a saturday with no kids within earshot. (Either by taking turns leaving the house, or one taking the kids out for a while.) Something that would allow each of you to be a wee bit more rested than you are now. (And it's amazing what having something to look forward to every week does for your mood...even when you are a zombie.)

At any rate, I would try juggling around the new schedule/responsibilities a few times before slapping a diagnosis on the problem.

God bless :)

Upvote 0

JRSut1000

Newbie no more!
Aug 20, 2011
United States of America
✟14,114.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Sleep deprivation isnt a factor as lil bubs is breastfed, so my hubby rarely needs to get up at night.

I do miss sleeping when baby sleeps, but my hubby is still getting much more sleep than I am.

I'm wondering if my hubby is stressed cuz I'm stressed, it could be part of it.

Upvote 0

seeingeyes

Nov 29, 2011
Backwoods, Ohio
✟27,860.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sleep deprivation isnt a factor as lil bubs is breastfed, so my hubby rarely needs to get up at night.

I do miss sleeping when baby sleeps, but my hubby is still getting much more sleep than I am.

I'm wondering if my hubby is stressed cuz I'm stressed, it could be part of it.

Or maybe he misses sex with his wife. It's gotta be a loooong wait when your own 'parts' weren't the ones affected by childbirth.

Just an idea. :)

Upvote 0

Niffer

So...that just happened.
Aug 1, 2008
Ontario
✟20,246.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I know men tend to feel "left out" when you have a newborn.
All you attention tends to be focused on your newborn, and the baby is all about mama!

Hubby had to deal some of those feelings, but not to the degree you're talking about..
Maybe he's feeling a bit left out of your attention??

Peace,
- Niffer

Upvote 0