Nov 8, 2004
✟373.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Powells information on Iran’s nukes “unvetted”- Report

11/19/2004 3:25:00 PM GMT

A U.S. newspaper has accused Powell of making unsubstantiated allegations about Iran.

A U.S. newspaper has accused the U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell of making unsubstantiated allegations about Iran's nuclear program.

The Washington Post reported that the intelligence used by Powell about Iran's nuclear capabilities is unverified and based on an "unvetted, single source".

The information, which two U.S. officials said had not been verified, could be significant if true but an embarrassment if not.

In February 2003, Powell made similar allegations about Iraq's alleged weapons of mass destruction, which relied on dubious intelligence and which so far has proved untrue.

http://www.aljazeera.com/cgi-bin/news_service/middle_east_full_story.asp?service_id=5744

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Outspoken said:
no, Iran has made it quite clear that 1. they are creating nuclear power plants thus have nuclear material and 2. they have the means to create it.

the quesiton is what are they doing with that material. Oh..and that's a pretty bias and untrustworthy website ya got there...

Well, here's the washington post article on it

Upvote 0

Doctrine1st

Official nitwit
Oct 11, 2002
Seattle
Visit site
✟12,523.00
Faith
Politics
US-Others
Outspoken said:
I don't subscribe to the WP so I can't see the article. so try another link.
Here's the gist my friend:

"Secretary of State Colin L. Powell shared information with reporters Wednesday about Iran's nuclear program that was classified and based on an unvetted, single source who provided information that two U.S. officials said yesterday was highly significant if true but has not yet been verified." ....

....But U.S. intelligence officials have been combing the information carefully and with a wary eye, mindful of the mistakes made in trusting intelligence information alleging that Iraq possessed weapons of mass destruction.

Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
Doctrine1st said:
Here's the gist my friend:

"Secretary of State Colin L. Powell shared information with reporters Wednesday about Iran's nuclear program that was classified and based on an unvetted, single source who provided information that two U.S. officials said yesterday was highly significant if true but has not yet been verified." ....

....But U.S. intelligence officials have been combing the information carefully and with a wary eye, mindful of the mistakes made in trusting intelligence information alleging that Iraq possessed weapons of mass destruction.
"A wary eye," I'm sure...:sigh:

Iraq, Iran.... the only thing separating our past mistake from our future one will be a single consonant.

Reactions: ClaireZ
Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I really should look up some more info on Iran. I was, and still sort of am under the impression that Iran posed a threat. I am also lead to believe that a US force in there would be met with much less interior insurgency then in Iraq, due to the people desiring democracy. But I don't really know too much, anyone have some decent info?

Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Vylo said:
I really should look up some more info on Iran. I was, and still sort of am under the impression that Iran posed a threat. I am also lead to believe that a US force in there would be met with much less interior insurgency then in Iraq, due to the people desiring democracy. But I don't really know too much, anyone have some decent info?

whoa. deja-vu all over again.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Monsignore Postiglione

Nov 8, 2004
✟373.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Vylo said:

There certainly is some dissent in Iran, and there was a strong reform movement that Europe has been building up the last fifteen years. Unfortunately, the warmongering US president has thwarted that developement and Iran has fallen back into nationalism and religious fundamentalism. Expect resistance to be much stiffer than in Iraq.

Upvote 0