Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Photos from my 48th birthday. A couple weeks before I had a zoom tea fellowship and a speaker that is pastoring a church in Dartmouth Massachusetts. It was really blessed. I got called to plow snow the night before my birthday and got to bed at 2:00 a.m. after a 40 mi drive back through treacherous conditions. After shoveling my drive I went out and took advantage of freebies that I get for my birth month. Overall it was a good birthday with great friends, blessings and fellowship.
IMG_20210123_152418.jpg
IMG_20210109_081214.jpg
IMG_20210126_162949.jpg
IMG_20210121_130659.jpg

Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟215,760.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
  • Friendly
Reactions: sampa
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Isaiah 2:22

Jun 4, 2016
Canada
✟17,022.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
As you can probably tell, I like painting mountains.

Not too bad for someone who's only really been painting for about six months. I just need to start building more convincing trees.

View attachment 294726

Those mountains are gorgeous! I'm impressed that you've only been at it for 6 months. You're doing fantastic!

Upvote 0

ReesePiece23

The Peanut Buttery Member.
Sep 17, 2013
✟288,577.00
Faith
Christian
Those mountains are gorgeous! I'm impressed that you've only been at it for 6 months. You're doing fantastic!

I was doing abstract (or 'modern art') for a few months before that, but BOY did that get boring. The first few times are fun, but I couldn't ever live on it. It's such a self indulgent art form. Plus, art materials deserve more respect than that.

I moved over to landscape paintings after being wowed by some of Bierstadt's work. I'd like to eventually find a happy halfway between Bierstadt and Van Gogh (my two favourites). Y'know, detail within expressive, impasto style brush strokes.

I'm one of those sorts of people who can't do ANYTHING halfheartedly. I become an anorak at just about everything I do - even something as banal as consuming soft drinks will quickly become a global pursuit. I think I've drunk Monster in about 15 different counties (?) in order to experience the FULL portfolio - even those little glass bottles in Japan and the obscurely sized cans in China. Sightseeing was secondary to my soda pop quest.

I think they call it Autism lol. That or too many years as a single man.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Isaiah 2:22

Jun 4, 2016
Canada
✟17,022.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I was doing abstract (or 'modern art') for a few months before that, but BOY did that get boring. The first few times are fun, but I couldn't ever live on it. It's such a self indulgent art form. Plus, art materials deserve more respect than that.

I moved over to landscape paintings after being wowed by some of Bierstadt's work. I'd like to eventually find a happy halfway between Bierstadt and Van Gogh (my two favourites). Y'know, detail within expressive, impasto style brush strokes.
I have the same reaction to abstract art. Or viewing it anyways. Especially the sort where it's literally just dribbles of paint on canvas (Pollock) or fuzzy squares of contrasting colour (Rothko). I just can't enjoy it at all. It doesn't speak to me. Impressionism is fun, though. Van Gogh is one of my faves as well. I love Turner too, especially some of his middle period stuff, before it got super washed out, but after he stopped doing very detailed landscapes. They both had a great eye for colour, which is something I struggle with a lot when I make art. It looks like you have a natural eye for colour, though.

What media do you like to use? Is this one acrylic?

I'm one of those sorts of people who can't do ANYTHING halfheartedly. I become an anorak at just about everything I do - even something as banal as consuming soft drinks will quickly become a global pursuit. I think I've drunk Monster in about 15 different counties (?) in order to experience the FULL portfolio - even those little glass bottles in Japan and the obscurely sized cans in China. Sightseeing was secondary to my soda pop quest.

I think they call it Autism lol. That or too many years as a single man.

lol Sounds like me. I get extremely obsessive about stuff. I'm like 99% sure I'm autistic, though only mildly. It runs in my dad's family. But I've never been diagnosed. Girls rarely are, even later in life.

Does Monster really taste that different in different locations? I've heard soft drinks vary a bit by location, but never knew the differences were that pronounced.

Upvote 0

ReesePiece23

The Peanut Buttery Member.
Sep 17, 2013
✟288,577.00
Faith
Christian
I have the same reaction to abstract art. Or viewing it anyways. Especially the sort where it's literally just dribbles of paint on canvas (Pollock) or fuzzy squares of contrasting colour (Rothko). I just can't enjoy it at all. It doesn't speak to me. Impressionism is fun, though. Van Gogh is one of my faves as well. I love Turner too, especially some of his middle period stuff, before it got super washed out, but after he stopped doing very detailed landscapes. They both had a great eye for colour, which is something I struggle with a lot when I make art. It looks like you have a natural eye for colour, though.

What media do you like to use? Is this one acrylic?

lol Sounds like me. I get extremely obsessive about stuff. I'm like 99% sure I'm autistic, though only mildly. It runs in my dad's family. But I've never been diagnosed. Girls rarely are, even later in life.

Does Monster really taste that different in different locations? I've heard soft drinks vary a bit by location, but never knew the differences were that pronounced.

I just think abstract art leaves FAR too much room for blatant pretentiousness. I'm not talking about the slight pretentiousness we can all be guilty of (sometimes it's actually a good thing if you've been suffering with a bit of impostor syndrome) but the straight up nonsense I've heard from people to justify a material-based massacre borders on the obscene.

"Yes, well with the oppressiveness from the burnt sienna spliced over the frolicsome lemon, I accentuated the incandescence of an emotional affair and combined it with the enslavement from the tyranny of a selfish partner, as my expressive virtuoso rained down upon this canvas like an impassioned monsoon."

^ No one actually said that, I just made it up. But I think you know the sort of people I mean.

Media-wise, I like to switch up between acrylic and oil. If I'm using acrylic it is ALWAYS Liquitex or Golden. Never let anyone sell you cheap acrylics, they're no good. With oils I make sure they're water-soluble (I refuse to use solvents) and I tend to use Windsor & Newton or Rembrandt.

The painting above was done with oils. But to be honest, with high quality acrylics the difference between an oil painting and an acrylic painting is slight. It really depends on my mood. When I get to travel again I'll be packing acrylics most likely (for the ease of use and the fast drying). I'm hoping to go back to Japan in early 2022 to sell some 'on the spot' paintings in Ueno Park. I just remember seeing fly pitchers everywhere whenever I walked the park, so I might as well get in on it lol. The police didn't seem to care about anything.

Van Gogh's expressionism is something I'll always have time for. I think he was just SUCH a talented man. People will never appreciate how hard it is to achieve THAT sort of detail with those sorts of strokes.

With Autism, it's harder to diagnose women because girls are good at mimicking behaviours when they're younger, and it carries through into adulthood. If it's not hurting you though, it probably doesn't matter.

With Monster, it's the range more than it is the OG drink. In America they do at least five different varieties of the ice tea, whereas in the UK we only have the lemon one. In Japan they still have Khaos, which was discontinued here some years ago. That sort of thing. Lol.

In South Korea I discovered all of these little glass bottles of ginseng drink, with these weird pictures of happy looking scientists on the front. No idea what they were meant to be, but the taste was like licking a battery terminal and the buzz peaked STRONG and dropped off really fast. (I think they were 'special' drinks for people who love each other very much.)

I've lived an unusual life really. If for whatever reason I'm asked to write an autobiography it'll read like a fever dream.

Upvote 0