Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I just came across this today. I'm so curious!

"Poe's law is an adage of Internet culture stating that, without a clear indicator of the author's intent, it is impossible to create a parody of extreme views so obviously exaggerated that it cannot be mistaken by some readers for a sincere by some readers for an expression of the views being parodied.

Poe's law - Wikipedia

Poe’s Law is named after Nathan Poe, an agnostic user on the message board Christian Forums who posted in 2005: “POES LAW: Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is uttrerly [sic] impossible to parody a Creationist in such a way that someone wont mistake for the genuine article.” In a thread debating creationism, Poe wrote this in response to a comment: “Good thing you included the winky. Otherwise people might think you are serious.

Poe’s Law - Dictionary.com

POE'S LAW:

Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is uttrerly impossible to parody a Creationist in such a way that someone won't mistake for the genuine article."

Big contradictions in the evolution theory

I'm so curious! If you were here then, would you please say more? Is this a thing? What does this say about Creationists?

Last edited:

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟919,955.00
Faith
Atheist
I was there then, though at the time it made little to no impression.

I must confess that I learned of it from other websites and was pleased/bemused that it was from someone I interacted with.

What does it say about creationism? Well just what it says. Creationism is so ridiculous that there is no way to mock it such that someone will take what you have said as something a creationist would genuinely say ... unless you include a direct indication, such as a smiley, of humor in your "parody".

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,220,131.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

POE'S LAW:

Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is uttrerly impossible to parody a Creationist in such a way that someone won't mistake for the genuine article."

I'm so curious! If you were here then, would you please say more? Is this a thing? What does this say about Creationists?
And then there are the flat-earthers! For the life of me I still can't think they are actually serious.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟826,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I was there then, though at the time it made little to no impression.

I must confess that I learned of it from other websites and was pleased/bemused that it was from someone I interacted with.

What does it say about creationism? Well just what it says. Creationism is so ridiculous that there is no way to mock it such that someone will take what you have said as something a creationist would genuinely say ... unless you include a direct indication, such as a smiley, of humor in your "parody".

Thank you, @Tinker Grey. The irony of this is pretty astounding, to me. But I guess that's what happens when absurdity usurps parody.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟978,401.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
I just came across this today. I'm so curious!

"Poe's law is an adage of Internet culture stating that, without a clear indicator of the author's intent, it is impossible to create a parody of extreme views so obviously exaggerated that it cannot be mistaken by some readers for a sincere by some readers for an expression of the views being parodied.

Poe's law - Wikipedia

Poe’s Law is named after Nathan Poe, an agnostic user on the message board Christian Forums who posted in 2005: “POES LAW: Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is uttrerly [sic] impossible to parody a Creationist in such a way that someone wont mistake for the genuine article.” In a thread debating creationism, Poe wrote this in response to a comment: “Good thing you included the winky. Otherwise people might think you are serious.

POE'S LAW:

I arrived well after Nathan Poe but I am thankful for his insight which has probably saved me from being banned.

I habitually add an icon like :);):( to many of my posts to make it clear that what I've written is humour and need not be taken too seriously.

I've found out the hard way that CFers collectively are a relatively dour lot and have little appreciation of irony, parody, satire or witticisms. I suspect that my being Australian is part of the problem. In my country an insult can be the ultimate compliment and self directed humour is normal.

Not all CFers lack a sense of humour but there are just enough to keep my demerit points at a dangerous level.

OB :)

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟826,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I habitually add an icon like :);):( to many of my posts to make it clear that what I've written is humour and need not be taken too seriously

It's so odd that would be needed. But I know why it is, sadly. :(

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,151,956.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yeah.. a little claim to fame for this website.

Think I first heard of the term Poe's Law on the Gamespot forums back in the day.

Sad to hear the real Poe died.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟826,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yeah.. a little claim to fame for this website.

Think I first heard of the term Poe's Law on the Gamespot forums back in the day.

Sad to hear the real Poe died.

Nathan Poe? Lord have mercy.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,567,587.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A thread with Nathan Poe. Look him up. He really was a beloved member of CF. And had many praying for him during his illness.
Atheism - a religion?

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,151,956.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
A thread with Nathan Poe. Look him up. He really was a beloved member of CF. And had many praying for him during his illness.
Atheism - a religion?

Clicking on his name it says he's 46. Last seen in 2014. Assume that's what he would have been if he was still alive. Sad.. didn't know he passed away so young.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,567,587.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Clicking on his name it says he's 46. Last seen in 2014. Assume that's what he would have been when he was still alive. Sad.. didn't know he passed away so young.
Yes he passed on in the prime of life. It was very sad. You know, he was hurting and angry but even in the midst of it, he was a very nice guy. He came here and made friends even if he disagreed. God bless him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

public hermit

social troglodyte
Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟826,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yes he passed on in the prime of life. It was very sad. You know, he was hurting and angry but even in the midst of it, he was a very nice guy. He came here and made friends even if he disagreed. God bless him.

May he rest in the peace of Christ.

It's not for me to speculate. I wish the grace of Christ for him, and for all who enter this space and speak of our Lord. May the Lord be gracious to us all. Lord have mercy.

• Agree
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,567,587.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
May he rest in the peace of Christ.

It's not for me to speculate. I wish the grace of Christ for him, and for all who enter this space and speak of our Lord. May the Lord be gracious to us all. Lord have mercy.
Amen brother. If I remember correctly, he had a board as well. He took the funniest posts from CF and posted them on his board. I think that’s what started the RAR videos.

• Friendly
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟826,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Amen brother. If I remember correctly, he had a board as well. He took the funniest posts from CF and posted them on his board. I think that’s what started the RAR videos.

Awesome. Do you have a link?

Upvote 0

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,567,587.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don’t remember the name of the board and I think it was taken down a couple months after his death. I just was not super familiar with it. I only visited once or twice. I was pretty new to the computer at the time and then we built our house in a technological hole. I’m sure if you investigated you could find more info. I was in and out at the time.
Awesome. Do you have a link?

• Friendly
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0