Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,296,791.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Hi MC - it's been a while ;)

I did say I was picky :p Not really concerned about the spelling - and as for the grammatical stuff - actually so often its correctness makes for easier reading.

There's enough folk around who do like looking for the loopholes and errors and then using them to drive a horse team and carriage through them, opening things up to all sorts of nastiness and problems. We need to be precise enough in our phrasing to ensure that doesn't happen.

Reactions: All4Christ
Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Man's purpose is to glorify the one and only living God, His Word, His Son Jesus the once dead now risen Christ...

Welcome to Traditional Theology!

I believe we all agree wholeheartedly with this statement. To God be the glory, both now and forevermore!

By the way, I love your avatar. It's one of my favorites. I grew up with my grandma having that right next to our dinner table. [emoji846]

Last edited:
Reactions: dms1972
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
In answer to the OP, I'd say you have to come up with some word or term other than "Traditional."

A Traditional Christian is one who believes in traditional theology and traditional values and in the traditions of the church .......
...just doesn't add a thing in the way of describing who's in and who's out. ;)

Upvote 0

tiglathpileser

Jan 8, 2016
Australia
✟9,031.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"Active promotion of views contrary to Non-traditional Christians are welcome to post in fellowship or ask questions about traditional Christianity (no debate)."

You are going to have to make a lot of changes because the forum is full of threads that challenge the above. And, what is "traditional, historic theology; liturgical practices, doctrines, dogmatics; Holy Scripture as found in the various canons of the Church; Church History, etc. will be considered off topic."

I find that the liturgical practice of joyful, Jesus promoting, modern, multi instrumental praise to be traditional. Others believe it is satanic, so how are you going to work that one out?

"you may not debate issues or teach against traditional Christian theology"

You allow atheists to do that at will.

"Traditional Christians hold to the traditional beliefs and customs of the early church that Jesus Christ established and believe they should be acknowledged and used in the development of the Church today."

They don't. They are very adamantly against the gifts of the spirit even though the NT is full of teaching on the subject.

"Traditional Christians believe that the Church and associated Tradition - especially from the Apostolic / early Church - guide us even today."

They don't. They believe that what their denomination teaches has more authority than what the scripture teaches. That is why we have 43,000 denominations. The fact is, none of them believe the bible is the word of God. They believe their interpretation of the bible is the word of God.

"This is a place to explore within the defined topic not debate against it"

Exploration necessitates debate to clarify.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hi Tiglathpilesar - welcome to Traditional Theology!

"Active promotion of views contrary to Non-traditional Christians are welcome to post in fellowship or ask questions about traditional Christianity (no debate)."

You are going to have to make a lot of changes because the forum is full of threads that challenge the above. And, what is "traditional, historic theology; liturgical practices, doctrines, dogmatics; Holy Scripture as found in the various canons of the Church; Church History, etc. will be considered off topic."

I find that the liturgical practice of joyful, Jesus promoting, modern, multi instrumental praise to be traditional. Others believe it is satanic, so how are you going to work that one out?
The beauty of this forum, is the ability for us to discuss why we view something as Traditional, without condemning the others who disagree. If you use historic theology, confessions of faith, etc to help formulate your opinion on the above, then you can discuss it here.

"you may not debate issues or teach against traditional Christian theology"

You allow atheists to do that at will.
We do have the occasional visitor come in and teach contrary to traditional Christian theology, but we address those posters. This SoP will help clarify that further.

"Traditional Christians hold to the traditional beliefs and customs of the early church that Jesus Christ established and believe they should be acknowledged and used in the development of the Church today."

They don't. They are very adamantly against the gifts of the spirit even though the NT is full of teaching on the subject.
Again, this is a forum for exploration and not condemnation. The forum allows for people to state that their tradition believes this because of the following, but does not allow for posters to say that other Traditional Christians are not following the traditional beliefs and customs the early church practiced.

You could discuss your view here by saying something like: My tradition believes that we should practice the gifts of the spirit as practiced today by Charismatic churches (or whatever your tradition is), because...[insert your reasons for your traditional beliefs here]". You cannot say "You (or a group of traditional Christians, based on the definition in the SoP) are unbiblical for your beliefs because..."

EDIT: Anastasia is correct in her post below - we (Orthodox) do believe the gifts of the Holy Spirit are active today. Many Traditional Churches believe that, though they may not practice it in the same way as Charismatic or non-denomination churches. The theology behind it may also be different in certain areas.

Remember that in this subforum, scripture is not the only valid source text for supporting our views, though scripture is of supreme importance.

"Traditional Christians believe that the Church and associated Tradition - especially from the Apostolic / early Church - guide us even today."

They don't. They believe that what their denomination teaches has more authority than what the scripture teaches. That is why we have 43,000 denominations. The fact is, none of them believe the bible is the word of God. They believe their interpretation of the bible is the word of God.
See my previous comment.

"This is a place to explore within the defined topic not debate against it"

Exploration necessitates debate to clarify.

No, it requires respectful discussion, not debate. We explore eachother's traditional theology and we don't attack the other person's usage of it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Not to mention, it is not true that the gifts of the Holy Spirit are disbelieved in the Orthodox Church. And Scripture is of course the highest authority.

This is where the part comes into play that we do not tell others what they believe, also still in the SoP for this forum, I believe.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Not to mention, it is not true that the gifts of the Holy Spirit are disbelieved in the Orthodox Church. And Scripture is of course the highest authority.

This is where the part comes into play that we do not tell others what they believe, also still in the SoP for this forum, I believe.

Very true. Many times people have preconceived notions as to what people believe. Traditional Theology is designed to help us all learn and respect what the others believe.

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,296,791.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
All4Christ said
Very true. Many times people have preconceived notions as to what people believe. Traditional Theology is designed to help us all learn and respect what the others believe.

And this is something we say again and again and again and ag.....

Here we can, and do, listen to what other posters say and from that we learn and respect other peoples' beliefs

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It is against rules to discuss moderation in threads. If you have an issue, please take it to the Member Service Center.

We have pointed out several times that the SoP for this forum includes respectful discussion.

I am not able to stay online and watch this thread, so once again, I am locking until staff can sort things out. You may wish to edit your post(s) accordingly.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
ADMIN HAT ON

Did a little clean up. Please remember that if you have a complaint against CF, staff or policies, you can discuss it in the Member Services Center.

ADMIN HAT OFF

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Not to mention, there is worthwhile fellowship to be enjoyed between those of us who may come from different faith traditions who all share reverence for Holy Tradition. There is no other place in CF for such a gathering, and we value it (at least I do).

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.