provincial
✟753,613.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
This is atrocious. How is this an upgrade? Please go back to the original site structure or I will not want to hang out here anymore. Literally everything about this is worse.

Edit: and why are there suggestions for similar topics/threads dating back all the way to 2005? That's insane.

doughtz

Owner of christianforums.com
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Supporter
Jun 10, 2022
San Diego
Visit site
✟110,106.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If you want to improve something, move the post number back up to the top right of the post.
Having it sit in the middle of the right hand margin is a distraction.
Yours isn't here?
Screen Shot 2022-11-17 at 8.38.42 AM.png

Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath
✟1,002,593.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Yes there is. I appreciate the fact that the info has remained visible through these changes.
It not only provides information, but it's second purpose is to show site continuity and stability.
When people stick around for years, that tells you that they care, they feel valued, and they are listened to by the site owners, especially on a Christian site!

Well, i see its been changed now...much better

• Love
Reactions: doughtz
Upvote 0

Red Gold

Dec 28, 2019
Baden-Baden in the Black Forest, Germany
✟93,832.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
This is atrocious. How is this an upgrade? Please go back to the original site structure or I will not want to hang out here anymore. Literally everything about this is worse.

Edit: and why are there suggestions for similar topics/threads dating back all the way to 2005? That's insane.
It is really atrocious!
Do you know the German word "verschlimmbessern"?
It means: Make something a lot worse - by incompetent ways to try to improve things.

Reactions: friend of
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟622,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
At the bottom of this page on the left side, there's a toggle switch.
I just now tried that. The quotes now have a black background and white lettering, but the posts have a white background with very slightly whiter letters that are nearly invisible.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟622,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Another issue I noticed is that when posting, the area to post in is darker than the surrounding area. Usually, the post being quoted was in a darker shaded area than the post being made. Now it's reversed, and that makes it a bit confusing as to where to start typing. Also, once the post is submitted, the post and the quoted portion have the same background. The inconsistency there adds to the confusion.

Also in the Watched Threads, the new posts used to appear alone on the old site design. Now they're ALL displayed (I have 32 pages worth) with the updated ones being bolded, but not by very much. They sort of blend in with the others with only a slight bolding. Can that be increased to make them more distinguished?

Another thing is that I get alerts saying I got a new response to a post I made, so I click the link and it takes me to the beginning of that thread rather than the post that was supposedly new. Then I scroll to the end of the thread only to find there was no new post after all. So it seems that false alerts are being generated somehow.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,013,527.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
For those who are saying that there was nothing wrong with the old system:

While I was comfortable with the old system, as an IT Professional, I can tell you with confidence that keeping the core engines of websites up to date is critical for security and integrity of the applications.

Upgrades aren’t always just for looks or features, though Dark Mode is an awesome feature that was added (Thank you!!!). The amount of customization CF has beyond the standard Xenforo templates is significant - and I appreciate the hard work!

I’m sure there were multiple reasons to update it - but the “Don’t fix what’s not broke” concept doesn’t take into consideration the security and framework upgrade requirements.

• Agree
Reactions: Lost Witness

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟923,468.00
Faith
Atheist
For those who are saying that there was nothing wrong with the old system:

While I was comfortable with the old system, as an IT Professional, I can tell you with confidence that keeping the core engines of websites up to date is critical for security and integrity of the applications.

Upgrades aren’t always just for looks or features, though Dark Mode is an awesome feature that was added (Thank you!!!). The amount of customization CF has beyond the standard Xenforo templates is significant - and I appreciate the hard work!

I’m sure there were multiple reasons to update it - but the “Don’t fix what’s not broke” concept doesn’t take into consideration the security and framework upgrade requirements.
I'm not in IT but rather software engineering. I agree largely here. Often the risk-averse delay or won't upgrade to latest versions of software. This may work for a while, but your software gets further and further behind and eventually, when you can avoid it no longer, you have to re-write everything because nothing works with the new versions.

Here also, as big a box as CF is, it's likely a daunting task to note all the things you want to maintain (maybe start now!) when you being an upgrade. One strategy is to unleash it and see what your users say. Meh.

Could the team have done better? Maybe. Could it have been worse? Definitely.

Reactions: All4Christ
Upvote 0

godisagardener

Romans 10:6-9, Ephesians 2:8-10
Jul 7, 2022
Texas
✟60,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The print on the white background is hard to read. It seems very light, almost gray. When I toggle to the dark background -- a lot of each post disappears, some posts are completely blank, all that shows up is the NEW in the upper right corner of a lot of new posts. It's also very hard on the eyes. I use a tablet, don't know if that makes a difference. As a relatively new member, I found the old system comforting.

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Is Trending Topics gone? Do I have to search around looking for new discussions now? If so, I won’t stick around. I don’t have time snd now there are more ads snd pop ups also, I feel like the owner is just getting rich off of me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟137,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
We have a great deal of conservative friends here on the forums and the hallmark of a “moderate-conservative” is delicately balancing “the way things used to be” on one side, and “the different, the new [way, word, forum-update] is ‘worse’ because I don’t know how to work [with] it yet.”

Give it two weeks, and we’ll hardly notice, like after one gets glasses for the first time, or changing one’s brand of cigarettes

Upvote 0

Joined2krist

CF Ambassadors
Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
✟427,078.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Good to see that they are trying to work on this new version, it would be nice if it can be more Phone friendly by making it less chunky and easier to find our way around. Good job so far but still not easy for us Phone users :)

Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath
✟1,002,593.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Good to see that they are trying to work on this new version, it would be nice if it can be more Phone friendly by making it less chunky and easier to find our way around. Good job so far but still not easy for us Phone users :)

Totally agree...

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟622,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
One suggestion I'd make is to space the posts apart a little more. They seem to be so close together than they look cluttered. Makes it hard to tell where one post ends and the next one begins. It seems different on each thread.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums