Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
My grandma is in the hospital again for I think the third time in four months, this time the prognosis is very bad and her doctor says she may not last a week. She had surgery to place a stent on an aneurysm in her back about 5-6 years ago and now that aneurysm is leaking, the doctor also believes she has an infection in that area because of some other signs in the X-rays.

Her 91st birthday is Sunday, if she makes it to then.

She's a strong woman but her husband (who isn't my grandfather) is abusive and neglectful so any health issues she has are dramatically complicated by his lousy care of her (dragging her around and leaving her in the car with the A/C running in 100+ degree weather, for example). Surgery isn't an option at this point according to her doctor, he told my mom they can either do other treatments and see how she responds or palliative care.

She's not Catholic, I wish she was but so far I'm the only one in my family who's converted, despite my best efforts. That said, she's one of the most faithful and righteous people I've ever known. If a non-Catholic ever had a shot at sainthood, it'd be her - just to give you an idea of how much she loves Our Lord, and how diligently she's served him throughout her whole life.

Add to this that my county is seeing a big COVID spike and our ICU is 80% full, some of us may not be able to visit her and say goodbye. Especially my mom since she's undergoing treatment for R.A. and can't leave the house for another week while her immune system is suppressed.

My grams' name is Nancy, if any of you feel like adding her to your prayers.

Thanks.

EDIT: Thanks for your prayers everyone. I just spoke with the hospital a few minutes ago (it's about 5:20am here on the west coast), her nurse said she's had a pretty good night all things considered but at this point the measures they've been taking have essentially just been extending her life a little bit. They're not at the point where they just make her comfortable to pass - he said at that point they will reduce the number of medical staff who need to see her and make space for more family to come visit and say goodbye. At this point they're only allowing one visitor per day.

EDIT 2: (7/17/20) Apparently she went into atrial fibrillation last night and a chest X-ray revealed she’s bleeding internally, so they’ve transitioned her to comfort care which is basically just keeping her comfortable until she passes. I’m sitting in the lobby of my parish office as I write this, I have a meeting with my priest/spiritual director in a minute, after that I’m picking up my sister to meet our cousins and go say goodbye to grams at 2:30pm PT. My moms rheumatologist told her a hospital would be the absolute worst place she could go right now on prednisone, luckily she got to do a Zoom call with grams yesterday and she was rather coherent. Thanks everyone for your prayers, I guess there’s only one prayer left to pray now.

FINAL EDIT: (7/18/20) Thanks everyone for your prayers and kindness. Last night I prayed the rosary for her around 11:15pm before I climbed into bed. When I got up this morning I had a text from my uncle that my grams had passed around midnight. I guess it was peaceful and I don't think she was in any pain when it happened.

This was my grams. If she ever crossed your path you knew inside five minutes she was special. She made every person feel like her favorite and she meant it too. She was tough, funny, faithful in ways you just don't see anymore, and the most unselfish person I ever knew. She never wanted to talk about herself, she only wanted to hear about you. She sang in the choir, cooked great food, ran an almond orchard, helped with the grandkids (and great-grandkids) and mowed the lawn well into her 80s, but most importantly she had an unshakable love and devotion to her family, and to Our Lord.

You can rest now grams, we'll be okay.

8rQZCW0.jpg

4zCq6J3.jpg

Requiem æternam dona ei, Domine
Et lux perpetua luceat ei:
Requiescat en pace.
Amen. :crossrc:

Last edited:

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,674,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Prayers for Nancy, her medical team, and all who know and love her. May the Lord make His presence known to her and everyone around her.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm really sorry to hear this. My last grandparent died back in January. There are none left now. It's not an easy process. Nancy is in my prayers.

Sorry for your loss bro.

I can relate, she's my last one as well. Never knew my maternal grandpa, he died 11 years before I was born. Paternal grandpa died in '99, paternal grandma in 2016, and now this. I think she might be the last blood relative from that generation left on either side of my family.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,298,063.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
With the just spirits who have reached their end, give repose to the soul of Your servant,Nancy, O Saviour, keeping her in the happiness of life in Your presence, O You who love mankind.

Upvote 0

SashaMaria

He is risen! Alleluia!
Jun 23, 2018
East coast
✟204,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Rest eternal grant unto Nancy, O Lord
And let perpetual light shine upon her.
May her soul, through the mercy of God,
rest in peace.

Prayers for you Fenwick and for family and friends who grieve the loss of your grandmother. I’m so sorry for you loss.

Upvote 0