Orlando
✟11,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have been straying away from God and his word recently, not intentionally, I just had so many questions and so many doubts all at once and without answers or guidance, I slowly found myself falling away.

I admit that I never have truly enjoyed attending church or worshiping (though there are a few songs that touch me where it matters), but I still payed attention and took notes while I was on the right track. Now, every time I go with my parents I feel out of place and like I'm being dragged along to complete a chore. There are still questions that I have and have yet to be answered but until then I need help and advice on how to get back to God. What bible studies should I do or what should I read? What should I think? what should I do??

Anyone, please just advise me, I feel so lost..

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just pray, honey. Start with prayer. A true, real, deep relationship with God is less about notes and reading, and more about the heart. There's a place for notes and books, too, but prayer is ahead of that. Just tell God what you've told us. Talk to Jesus, ask Him to help you know Him and follow Him.

Upvote 0

Rodan6

Site Supporter
Sep 11, 2016
Highland, CA
✟86,675.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There is nothing wrong with "doubting". That you have some can be a very positive thing as you seek to find God. Our Lord has promised, "Seek and Ye shall find...."
God is the absolute of love and logic. To pursue the truth, wherever it can be found is to pursue Him. From time to time you may discover that certain "facts", or "tenants" are not true. Never allow fear of error to compromise your faith. Those who invest their faith in truth--where ever this takes them, will rejoice with each and every new discovery.

Also, don't judge others who are on their own spiritual paths. If a friend, or even a parent embraces something you disagree with, be willing to accept the choices that they make and allow them to seek God in their own way. No religion on earth is perfect, yet all religions teach truths.

May God bless you in your journey.

Upvote 0

SarahsKnight

Jesus Christ is this Knight's truth.
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
Magnolia, AR
✟994,359.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have been straying away from God and his word recently, not intentionally, I just had so many questions and so many doubts all at once and without answers or guidance, I slowly found myself falling away.

I admit that I never have truly enjoyed attending church or worshiping (though there are a few songs that touch me where it matters), but I still payed attention and took notes while I was on the right track. Now, every time I go with my parents I feel out of place and like I'm being dragged along to complete a chore. There are still questions that I have and have yet to be answered but until then I need help and advice on how to get back to God. What bible studies should I do or what should I read? What should I think? what should I do??

Please don't use this as a reason to begin to panic or feel afraid, Miss (I went through that once, already, and it isn't pretty). Questions and momentary doubts are normal. There's a reason it is called faith; you can never know for 100% physical sure. Maybe you just need time to allow God to work on you. :) I mean, if you were really "falling away", then would you even care at all that you were? And it sounds to me like you do, that the thought of living without faith in Christ worries or even frightens you. Because in your heart, you know you believe, but that doesn't mean every last question you have will be satisfactorily answered.

I am sorry as I do not really have practical advice other than constant prayer for strength and try not to be afraid as you do so, as though God is ready to strike you at the first hint of asking Him the wrong question or being doubtful or something like that. I sincerely doubt that is the case. :)

I do believe that @Tigger45 's statement above is quite sound, though, for what it is worth.

Upvote 0

Call me Nic

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2017
✟481,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Have you ever read the book "Celebration of Discipline" by Richard J. Foster? I've been reading through it for quite some time and it's fantastic. It really gives practical advice about how to use the spiritual disciplines given to us in the Bible to become closer in our walk with God.

Here is an excerpt from the book:

"When we despair of gaining inner transformation through human powers of will and determination, we are open to a wonderful new realization: inner righteousness is a gift from God to be graciously received. The needed change within us is God's work, not ours. The demand is for an inside job, and only God can work from the inside. We cannot attain or earn this righteousness of the kingdom of God; it is a grace that is given.

In the book of Romans the apostle Paul goes to great lengths to show that righteousness is a gift of God. He uses the term thirty-five times in this epistle and each time insists that righteousness is unattained and unattainable through human effort. One of the clearest statements is Romans 5:17, "... those who receive the abundance of grace and the free gift of righteousness [shall] reign in life through the one man Jesus Christ." This teaching, of course, is found not only in Romans but throughout scripture and stands as one of the cornerstones of the Christian faith.

... We do not need to be hung on the horns of the dilemma of either human works or idleness. God has given us the Disciplines of the spiritual life as a means of receiving his grace. The disciplines allow us to place ourselves before God so that he can transform us." (Celebration of Discipline, Richard J. Foster, pg. 6-7).

In short, the disciplines include: prayer, fasting, reading God's word, service, meditation, submission, worship, confession, etc. This book has been helping me get an understanding of the path to living a more spiritual life, so I of course wanted to recommend it to you as well, seeing that you said you want to "get back to God." God bless, friend.

Reactions: royal priest
Upvote 0

kufe

Sep 16, 2018
Mississauga
✟12,337.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If you have some questions that you feel need answering i suggest looking up sone christian apologists on youtube, my personal favourites are frank turek, ravi zacharias, cliff knechkle (im pretty sure i butcheres his last name) and there are some that i havent watched yet but i heard were really good such as james warner wallace, william lane craig, and the list goes on, so i think maybe if you look into these people they most likely have already answered the questions you seek to understand. Anyways i wish you the best, keep in prayer fasting and God bless.

Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The first thing to realise is that it is not Church that saves you. Sure it is good to attend Church when you are healthy and can contribute to the worship services in a genuine way. i have not been able to attend Church for many years for various reason but i have still grown as a Christian and in my personal relationship with Him.

See when you learn to love God because He saved you and gave you your (new) life down here, going to Church changes from a chore to a joy. You may also have to seek out a bible preaching Church and not one steeped in religion and tradition or those who talk to itchy ears and only preach what people want to hear.

Honest focus on Scripture. Read His Word and let its truths and promises touch your heart. The living word is what you are after, after you meet Him you be aflame with love for God and neighbour.

Maybe this series of sermons will help you with your quest.

I Love My Church 2017

Peace.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

maintenance man

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2018
California
Visit site
✟486,398.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I need help and advice on how to get back to God. What bible studies should I do or what should I read? What should I think? what should I do??

There is no one size fits all journey to a closer relationship with God. What's going on inside of you is likely a complex combination of your past, present, and your perception of the future. You can certainly ask questions here and get lots of answers, but you will be much better served if you find a local pastor to sit down with and talk face-to-face - heart-to-heart. I encourage you to find someone you can work with in real time who can help answer all your questions and help you rebuild your relationship with God.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
If you have some questions that you feel need answering i suggest looking up sone christian apologists on youtube, my personal favourites are frank turek, ravi zacharias, cliff knechkle (im pretty sure i butcheres his last name) and there are some that i havent watched yet but i heard were really good such as james warner wallace, william lane craig, and the list goes on, so i think maybe if you look into these people they most likely have already answered the questions you seek to understand. Anyways i wish you the best, keep in prayer fasting and God bless.

I would recommend staying away from almost everyone except Ravi Zacharias. Sorry, Kufe, I had to say it.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
What has helped me before is praying, "Lord, help me to love you with all my heart, all my soul, all my mind, and all my strength." Whenever I would find myself thinking anything like what you mentioned, praying that or something like it. It's part of the process of coming back, it's an aspect of it, and over time, my relationship with God improved.

Upvote 0

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married

Share this struggle with your parents. Even at seventeen, there's a good chance they know you better than you better than you know yourself. Be as transparent as possible with them. Christian parents are a real tesoro. ;)
Proverbs 1:8-9
Hear, my son, your father's instruction, and forsake not your mother's teaching, for they are a graceful garland for your head

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Here are some great resources for apologetic questions:

www.crossexamined.org
www.reasonablefaith.org
www.coldcasechristianity.com
www.rzim.org

I think that, while getting good answers to tough questions about the faith might be of help to you, the heart of your problem isn't intellectual but spiritual. Do you doubt your relationship with, say, your father or mother? Probably not. You don't doubt they exist and you trust them because you know them personally and interact with them every day. Same with God. When you experience God on a daily basis, it's really hard to doubt He exists. And when you discover by personal experience that God is the good, holy, loving, patient, faithful God the Bible says He is, your trust in Him comes pretty naturally. So, then, what's your experience of God been like? What do you think walking with God ought to look like? The description you've given of your life as a Christian indicates a profound lack of an experience of God. Is this so?

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: kufe
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Oct 7, 2018
Orlando
✟11,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Here are some great resources for apologetic questions:

www.crossexamined.org
www.reasonablefaith.org
www.coldcasechristianity.com
www.rzim.org

I think that, while getting good answers to tough questions about the faith might be of help to you, the heart of your problem isn't intellectual but spiritual. Do you doubt your relationship with, say, your father or mother? Probably not. You don't doubt they exist and you trust them because you know them personally and interact with them every day. Same with God. When you experience God on a daily basis, it's really hard to doubt He exists. And when you discover by personal experience that God is the good, holy, loving, patient, faithful God the Bible says He is, your trust in Him comes pretty naturally. So, then, what's your experience of God been like? What do you think walking with God ought to look like? The description you've given of your life as a Christian indicates a profound lack of an experience of God. Is this so?

My life has been good, I've never gone hungry or been homeless or experienced any kind of loss in my family. I have good relationships with my family and I have good friends that hold me accountable and are trying to help me with this issue. Even with all of this though, I've struggled to see God work in my life in a way that's truly personal to me and I feel like that may have to do with why I've been feeling this way. There have been moments, I admit where things turn around for me or my family and I give God credit because it feels right and I was raised this way, but I wonder how can you tell the difference between a work of God and just a coincidence?

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
My life has been good, I've never gone hungry or been homeless or experienced any kind of loss in my family. I have good relationships with my family and I have good friends that hold me accountable and are trying to help me with this issue.

Okay. But none of this tells me anything about your daily experience of God.

Even with all of this though, I've struggled to see God work in my life in a way that's truly personal to me and I feel like that may have to do with why I've been feeling this way.

I agree. I often encounter Christians who use phrases like "walk with God," or "experience God," or "live as a Christian," and yet have almost no idea what these phrases mean biblically. The Bible tells us very clearly what we ought to expect to be our regular experience of God, though. Here's a short list taken from one of my discipleship lessons:

1.) What is the role of the Holy Spirit in the life of the Christian?

- He imparts spiritual life by dwelling within every believer. (Jn. 7:39; Ac. 2:3, 4; Ro. 8:8-11; 1 Cor. 6:19, 20; Tit. 3:5, 6)

- He convicts of sin. (Jn. 16:8)

- He illuminates our minds to God's truth. (Lu. 12:12; Jn. 14:26; 16:13)

- He comforts and helps. (Jn. 14:16)

- He enables the believer's obedience. (Ac. 4:7, 8; Ro. 8:13; 15:13, 19; Phil. 2:13)

- He produces in the believer the character of Christ. (Ga. 5:22, 23)

God interacts with us by His Spirit who lives within every child of God, giving them spiritual life, and acting upon them in the ways described above. Do you experience God in these ways? If not, why not?

There have been moments, I admit where things turn around for me or my family and I give God credit because it feels right and I was raised this way, but I wonder how can you tell the difference between a work of God and just a coincidence?

Well, if you believe God is in control of everything, that He reigns supreme and sovereign over His Creation as the Bible says, then coincidence must be ruled out. God either causes to occur directly, or allows, whatever we experience in life. In either case, God is always at the bottom of everything that goes on in the universe He has created and sustains moment-by-moment.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I suppose I do, now that I think about it. Just the fact that I'm here asking questions and receiving answers gives me some hope and proves that he's working.

Yes, I think so. When you think about what a relationship with God should look like, what do you imagine? I ask, because sometimes we're expecting with God exactly the sort of relationship we have with each other. But God is a Spirit and this affects things pretty dramatically.

Upvote 0
Oct 7, 2018
Orlando
✟11,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes, I think so. When you think about what a relationship with God should look like, what do you imagine? I ask, because sometimes we're expecting with God exactly the sort of relationship we have with each other. But God is a Spirit and this affects things pretty dramatically.
If I'm being honest, I don't know. I can only imagine what I've already experienced with people or what I've read in the bible (guidance, miracles, and hearing God's voice) which I can't really say I've experienced personally.

Upvote 0